It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barr Declines Comey Prosecution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

James Comey's next reckoning is imminent — this time for leaking

The Justice Department's chief watchdog is preparing a damning report on James Comey's conduct in his final days as FBI director that likely will conclude he leaked classified information and showed a lack of candor after his own agency began looking into his feud with President Trump over the Russia probe.

Inspector General (IG) Michael Horowitz's team referred Comey for possible prosecution under the classified information protection laws, but Department of Justice (DOJ) prosecutors working for Attorney General William Barr reportedly have decided to decline prosecution - a decision that's likely to upset Comey's conservative critics.

Prosecutors found the IG's findings compelling but decided not to bring charges because they did not believe they had enough evidence of Comey's intent to violate the law, according to multiple sources.

Not what many anticipated.

Truth is, either way, there was bound to be significant anger at the outcome.

Somehow, I am not surprised.

But the article continues:

Although a technical violation, the DOJ did not want to "make its first case against the Russia investigators with such thin margins and look petty and vindictive," a source told me, explaining the DOJ's rationale.

But Comey and others inside the FBI and the DOJ during his tenure still face legal jeopardy in ongoing probes by the IG and Barr-appointed special prosecutor John Durham. Those investigations are focused on the origins of the Russia investigation that included a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrant targeting the Trump campaign at the end of the 2016 election, the source said.

"There are significant issues emerging with how the FISA was handled and other conduct in the investigation, and everyone involved remains under scrutiny," a second source said.

So maybe it was the right move after all.

edit on 31-7-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

I didn't intend to run the red light but I still got ticketed.

He was director of the FBI. He should know better than to leak information and he should know how to act properly.

What can you expect from bureaucracy, I suppose ...

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
But will he escape criminal prosecution for FISA abuse and other acts? I think there's more-better coming.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Not enthused by this development.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Not happy about it, but I trust enough in Barr for him to do what he does.

We can't win them all, lets just be happy that Comey isn't in any driver seat anymore and good riddance.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I guess this signals that its ok for other government employees to leak information? That's the message I'm getting. Its almost as if the DOJ doesn't want to discourage the behavior... I wonder who that benefits.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The "Treason " case must not be jeopardized by premature charges. Translation, "The Best Is Yet To Come"...…

I'm praying, anyways

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

It's a distinct possibility.

I'm just so used to expecting far less.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This intent thing is bull#, as it was with Clinton. It's impossible to be in his position and not know what he was doing was illegal. That shows intent, and you could easily bring in enough witnesses to testify to that fact to convince a jury. It's an open and shut case, as it would've been with Clinton. They're not prosecuting because of who he is. That's all.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
I guess this signals that its ok for other government employees to leak information? That's the message I'm getting. Its almost as if the DOJ doesn't want to discourage the behavior... I wonder who that benefits.

The message was already sent when they didin't prosecute Clinton for her blatant and obvious violations.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   

" Prosecutors found the IG's findings compelling but decided not to bring charges because they did not believe they had enough evidence of Comey's intent to violate the law, according to multiple sources. "

At this Time . Things can Change , Comey is a Marked Man Now , Compromised .

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye
The "Treason " case must not be jeopardized by premature charges. Translation, "The Best Is Yet To Come"...…

I'm praying, anyways

You're a lot more optimistic than I am. It looks more to me like some career douchebags are protecting another career douchebag.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: DanDanDat

The message was already sent when they didin't prosecute Clinton for her blatant and obvious violations.

I'm wondering when the next less affluent leaker is going to use this as a defence. It might not work; but it will be amazing to watch.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

It's a distinct possibility.

I'm just so used to expecting far less.

This case is like trying to unravel a spiders web with out tearing each thread. And in that way each guilty party can be shown to connect to other participants, in criminal conspiracies. They are all virtually connected to the major conspiracy. The Epstein information not only exposes pedophilia but also murder and international Espionage and blackmail.

The "Big Picture" is larger than anyone could have imagined, and goes back, generations. God help, William Barr...

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye

I'm praying, anyways

You're a lot more optimistic than I am. It looks more to me like some career douchebags are protecting another career douchebag.

What's the old saying about "appearances"??

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
But will he escape criminal prosecution for FISA abuse and other acts? I think there's more-better coming.

Exactly.

You don't prosecute the bank robber with the failure to yield he did escaping.

This wasn't a surprise to me at all.

Bigger fish.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

So, what you're telling us is that the DOJ doesn't want to go after Comey for the small potatoes because they plan on going after him for the bigger ones tied to other investigations? Is that what we're supposed to get from this?

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Boo
3 am no knock
Throw the book at him
Solitary at sing sing

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

Exactly! Bigger and better!

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

So, what you're telling us is that the DOJ doesn't want to go after Comey for the small potatoes because they plan on going after him for the bigger ones tied to other investigations? Is that what we're supposed to get from this?
Coup d'état

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join