It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Expectancy in the US Is Declining for a Reason

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Neoliberalism, or to be more precise: it's failed policies, is what made Trump's triumph possible in the first place.

There is no need for deflections. He failed to deliver, things only got worse. Don't take my word for it though, ask Noam Chomsky in case of doubt:

[...]

Noam Chomsky: The U.S. is a very strange country. From the point of view of its infrastructure, the U.S. often looks like a “Third World” country…. Not for everybody, of course. There are people who can say, “OK, fine, I’ll go in my private jet or helicopter.” Drive around any American city. They’re falling apart. The American Society of Civil Engineers gives the U.S. regularly a D, the lowest ranking, in infrastructure.

This is the richest country in world history. It has enormous resources. It has advantages that are just incomparable in agricultural resources, mineral resources, huge territory, homogeneous. You can fly 3,000 miles and think you’re in the same place where you started. There is nothing like that anywhere in the world. In fact, there are successes, like a good deal of the high-tech economy, substantially government-based but real.

On the other hand, it’s the only country in the developed world in which mortality is actually increasing. That’s just unknown in developed societies. In the last several years, life expectancy has declined in the U.S. There is work by two major economists, Anne Case and Angus Deaton, who have carefully studied the mortality figures. It turns out that in the cohort roughly 25 to 50, the working-age cohort of whites, the white working class, there is an increase in deaths, what they call “deaths of despair”: suicide, opioid overdoses, and so on. This is estimated at about 150,000 deaths a year. It’s not trivial. The reason, it’s generally assumed, is the economic stagnation since Reagan. In fact, this is the group that entered the workforce right around the early 1980s, when the neoliberal programs began to be instituted.

That has led to a small slowdown in growth. Growth is not what it was before. There is growth, but very highly concentrated. Wealth has become extremely highly concentrated. Right now, according to the latest figures, 0.1 percent of the population holds 20 percent of the country’s wealth; the top 1 percent holds roughly 40 percent. Half the population has negative net worth, meaning debts outweigh assets. There has been stagnation pretty much for the workforce over the whole neoliberal period. That’s the group that we’re talking about. Naturally, this leads to anger, resentment, desperation. Similar things are happening in Europe under the austerity programs. That’s the background for what’s misleadingly called “populism.” But in the U.S., it’s quite striking. The “deaths of despair” phenomenon seems to be a specific U.S. characteristic, not matched in other countries.
[...]

...which is why we need this in the mud-pit to mock idiotic replies in defense of neoliberal politics. And I can't wait to read them. Have at it?

Good night, good fight!

edit on Wed Jul 31 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I guess the US is just so free, that people chose to engorge themselves in such a lifestyle that sends them to an early grave.

Decadence, in all it's glory.

NOT the fault of our political/social system, just the flaws of humanity(selfishness).

Fat acceptance doesn't help either....A doctor shouldn't be afraid to tell someone they are a fat disaster of a land whale that needs to put the f'in chips down and take responsibility for their actions.
edit on 31-7-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

SoOo...

We're living shorter lives in the US because of Trump...

And gun control, more government and wealth equality will make it better.

So... Noam Chomsky is a Progressive who is wants a Progressive solution to a Progressive problem.

I blame the Department of Education on this...

They're turning out ever-increasing numbers of stupid citizens.

By design, it seems...

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I think it might have something to do with all the fast food and sugar rather than those pesky liberals....
edit on 31-7-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I think it might have something to do with all the fast food rather than those pesky liberals....

I travel each week for work and it never surprises me that when I offer to take clients to lunch or dinner they often want to go to a chain restaurant. Eating processed food will make you a fatty boombah and you will develop numerous health issues from being one.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I think it might have something to do with all the fast food rather than those pesky liberals....

Rare moment of agreement with you.

It's personal responsibility, a lack of understanding of healthy nutrition and just a casual disregard for personal responsibility that so many americans seem to "embrace".

And when it's pointed out to them, they cry about some type of "acceptance".

Bad ideas/habits are just that. Having them pointed out to you isn't some form of "personal" attack, but an attempt to impart FACTS onto someone that obviously was never taught them.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

SoOo...

So... Noam Chomsky is a Progressive who is wants a Progressive solution to a Progressive problem.

By design, it seems...

Lifespan trends often times take DECADES to show up in a population in relation to health/eduction/food trends.

So it's obviously logical that somehow 2 years of trump presidency has affected decades of US citizen health trends....

Cuz TDS.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

SoOo...

By design, it seems...

Lifespan trends often times take DECADES to show up in a population in relation to health/eduction/food trends.

So it's obviously logical that somehow 2 years of trump presidency has affected decades of US citizen health trends....

Cuz TDS.

As Augustus pointed out, the average diet of an American citizen is... appalling.

Garbage in, garbage out....

The average lifespan in America declining has been caused by decades of deliberately working very hard to kill ourselves through food.

And then we wonder why we're soon going to be at a 50% cancer rate.

Noam Chomsky is an asshat too.

Just had to throw that in there.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I travel each week for work and it never surprises me that when I offer to take clients to lunch or dinner they often want to go to a chain restaurant. Eating processed food will make you a fatty boombah and you will develop numerous health issues from being one.

Surprised YOU would complain about this.

Don't you boys like to fatten up the "cattle" before a nice meal at the local lodge?

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Don't you boys like to fatten up the "cattle" before a nice meal at the local lodge?

I honestly cannot stand chain/processed food, I prefer free range sheeple.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

SoOo...

By design, it seems...

Cuz TDS.

As Augustus pointed out, the average diet of an American citizen is... appalling.

Garbage in, garbage out....

The average lifespan in America declining has been caused by decades of deliberately working very hard to kill ourselves through food.

And then we wonder why we're soon going to be at a 50% cancer rate.

Noam Chomsky is an asshat too.

Just had to throw that in there.

The pendulum swings.

I think all this garbage food, i'm fat and proud(and apparently perfectly healthy) garbage will get a hard swing back in the other direction.

As for the Noam reference, I agree. I assume his "halo" effect is from a bunch of first year college students that finally read a philosophical book with "big words" in it and feel as though they are being "enlightened" into some "higher" form of thinking.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   

AKA, you like those "farmers daughters"......

We should hang out......

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I think it might have something to do with all the fast food and sugar rather than those pesky liberals....

Poverty promotes bad eating habits.

The left thrives on poverty... they can't really exist as a political party in America without it.

After all, if most of us had a job, was concerned about our taxes and wanted to make better lives for ourselves, who would the left have as a victim class?

With no victim class, the left couldn't promise something free in return for a vote.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

SoOo...

By design, it seems...

Cuz TDS.

Stress is the #1 killer

Trump causes alot of it

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Poverty promotes bad eating habits.

The left thrives on poverty... they can't really exist as a political party in America without it.

After all, if most of us had a job, was concerned about our taxes and wanted to make better lives for ourselves, who would the left have as a victim class?

With no victim class, the left couldn't promise something free in return for a vote.

Bad eating habits have no economic class.

How often do you see commercials for fruits and vegetables vs candy and processed snacks.

At one time, it was on the individual to "Know" better. Now it's someone else's fault, like everything else.

Going to a store and buying some meat or poultry and a bag full of vegs is the same price as buying processed chicken nuggest and a bunch of oreo's.

People just aren't "taught" it in big cities, they don't have the connection to the local farmers(you can't "farm" oreo's). In farming communities you get fresh meats, veg, fruits.

In urban holes you get "fresh" junk food. And somehow the individual thinks it's all just "food".

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

SoOo...

By design, it seems...

Cuz TDS.

Stress is the #1 killer

Trump causes alot of it

If "stress" from 2 years of a moderate democrat being elected president and doing what every democrat before him has "said" they will do kills you......

Then I guess it's good riddance to those that are that weak.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

That and all the advances in safety, medicine and medical technology. Add in helicopter parents, fear of germs, kids inside all day.

We get all the stupid kids who wouldn't survive to adulthood 30 - 40 years ago are now grown and having stupid kids of their own. They won't live as long and they're pumping out drug addicted, weak bodied, weak minded oxygen thieves.

End result, more people breeding faster and dying younger.

a reply to: MisterSpock

Good point, all the garbage people are eating just exacerbates the problem of the mentally and physically weak.
edit on 31-7-2019 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Mmmmm.....sheeple

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The US has been becoming more liberal for that last couple generations. Now you see what comes with it. Death. Liberal citizens dabble with all kinds of unhealthy behavior. What did you expect? Expect more as we proceed on the same path
edit on 31-7-2019 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I love self responsibility and accountability and I do think there are people out there that have opposite views. Those that love handouts/welfare. But I wonder what happens if the liberal/leftist doesn't turn out to be the all encompassing boogeyman that everyone paints them as?

What if our decline into absurdity isn't just because of one side or one ideology, but because of who we are, who we ALL are?

We started out as a republic with very little to no social welfare, but somehow here we are now. If the right/conservative was the correct path and perfect, why are we in our current situation?

I wonder how many of us will go down with the sinking ship constantly pointing our fingers at the supposed enemies and never realize that we are as much part of the problem as they are?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join