It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Review....."Once upon A Time in Hollywood"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Another self indulgent Tarantino film in his classic B movie style of shooting. It was fantasy and not documentary but still captured the Hollywood mystique. Monster cast, typical Tarantino smart ass, profane script, Colorful characters, and groovy locations. 1hr and 60min of adult fun!!

and thanks to Premier theaters for honoring SAG cards, unlike those stingy Regal yahoos.
edit on 31-7-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Another self indulgent Tarantino film in his classic B movie style of shooting. It was fantasy and not documentary but still captured the Hollywood mystique. Monster cast, typical Tarantino smart ass, profane script, Colorful characters, and groovy locations. 1hr and 60min of adult fun!!

and thanks to Premier theaters for honoring SAG cards, unlike those stingy Regal yahoos.

Instead of saying "1hr and 60min" you could just call it 2 hours.

For some reason I think Tarantino's only good films were Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, I saw Pulp Fiction when it came out in the theaters as a kid (yes they let me and my brother in ahhahha). After that I didn't really like any of his films.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hollywood Blows....

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Looking forward to seeing this. Had a chance to see a screener but I think his cinematography calls for the big screen.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Is this a remake of a remake? It seems like hollyweird can only recycle old ideas even updates of old movies.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Tarantino is a mixed bag for me.
Reservoir dogs was overrated.
Death proof was underrated..
Loved the kill bills.
Meh on pulp fiction
Liked bastards...

I'll wait for redbox...

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ummm...it was 2 hours and 40 minutes long and I thought it sucked. No real plot, just a bunch of boring scenes strung together, like the one in the restaurant with Pacino's character, or the one on the set with DiCaprio's character and the girl actress. Absolutely pointless. I did chuckle at the scene involving Brad Pitt's character and the actor portraying Bruce Lee. The acting and sets were done really well, but they could've done a way better job at editing this snooze fest down to under 2 hours. Even the chemistry between Pitt and DiCaprio wasn't enough for me to stay for the whole movie...I couldn't even make it to the end, leaving at the 90 minute mark.

edit on 7/31/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
Is this a remake of a remake? It seems like hollyweird can only recycle old ideas even updates of old movies.

LA is mostly Sony, Disney and Marvel mega budget sfx heavy.

This is where it's happening with an exploding indy world. They are now making feature length movies with phones.
I mostly work on indy projects with no or low budget TV marketing teasers. Streaming has changed everything.

abqstudios.com... Netflix just bought it.

edit on 31-7-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Tarantino is a mixed bag for me.
Reservoir dogs was overrated.
Death proof was underrated..
Loved the kill bills.
Meh on pulp fiction
Liked bastards...

I'll wait for redbox...

Not the first time we have disagreed and wont be the last..

With the exception of what you say about the Kill Bills and IB I disagree vehemently with everything else you say in this post.. lol!

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Dammit!
I'm not going to sleep tonight...

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Pretentious. Addled. Self-masturbatory. I felt ripped-off and WAY too long and I don't mind long movies that deliver.

But, hey, to each his own. I thought your short-film about the used car salesman was much better, Olaru.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The ending as actually really good. The rest of the movie; I struggled with just walking out of the theater.. And I'm a huge Tarantino fan.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I thought I wanted to see this...Now, not so much.
I hate long &boring films.
I'll wait for it on-demand.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: olaru12

For some reason I think Tarantino's only good films were Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction...

Jackie Brown was pretty good too, imo.

But apart from that... yeah, his films are generally overrated.

I'll check this one out when it comes out on cable.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I don't see what the draw to the film is.

What is it suppose to be funny like Fear and Loathing or something?

I dunno, it just seems uninteresting and I don't get it.

What's the point of this film anyways?
Anyone know?

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I never got the "Kill Bill" films.
When the first one came out I decided that Tarantino was officially a 'has been'.

I realize that's probably blasphemy but whatever.
It was just too much cheese for my taste.
edit on 7/31/2019 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker
Hollywood Blows....

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Like I said, hit and miss...
But if you want a has been...kevin smith...

He hasn't made a good movie since he started smoking weed....

I've heard Tarantino was rumored in the next star wars....ugh....not a fit

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

If that's a real Selznick quote he pretty much nailed it.

The Cursed, Buried City That May Never See The Light of Day

Thirty-three years ago, Peter Brosnan heard a story that seemed too crazy to be true: buried somewhere along California’s rugged Central Coast, beneath acres of sand dunes, lay the remains of a lost city. According to his friend at New York University’s film school, the remains of a massive Egyptian temple, a dozen plaster sphinxes, eight mammoth lions, and four 40-ton statues of Ramses II were all supposedly entombed in the sands 150 some-odd miles north of Los Angeles.

“It was an absolutely cockamamie story,” Brosnan says. “I thought he was nuts.” The ruins weren’t authentic Egyptian ones, of course. They were the 60-year-old remains of a massive Hollywood set—the biggest, most expensive one ever built at the time.

The faux Egyptian scenery had played the role of the City of the Pharaoh in one of Hollywood’s first true epics, Cecil B DeMille’s 1923 film The Ten Commandments. The set had required more than 1,500 carpenters to build and used over 25,000 pounds of nails. The production nearly ruined DeMille and his studio. When the shoot wrapped, the tempestuous director supposedly strapped dynamite to the structures and razed the whole set, burying it in the sands near Guadalupe, California, to ensure no rival director could benefit from his vision.

edit on 31-7-2019 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
If they have to advertise the crap out of something then its probably not going to be worth it, as most of the other Tarantino movies are.

A Tarantino Chewbacca movie though... Still better than what Disney would do with the last of the great SW characters.

edit on 31-7-2019 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join