It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-18E down near Jedi

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: glib2

Anywhere but in the transition, and I'd probably agree, if it was me. The transition can have quite a few people on the road and on the vista.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: Zaphod58
SWITCH11 flight of 2. No ejection attempt reported, 7 injuries on the ground.

WTF? 7 ON THE GROUND??!!

So part fo the problem is that the site has become popular. You get a certain number of legit spotters but you get alot of lookie loos that Baja 500 down the dirt road kick up dust then turn around after realizing that they may have to wait for hours. It also is along a major route into death valley and there is bathroom so people stop see people out on the ridge and thanks to fear of missing out ram their rental cars down the road to see what is basically not much till a plane passes

Zaph's analysis is spot on they pilot came in either too far up the Canyon and could not make the turn or tried to abort once in and did not gain enough altitude

Some of the idiots you see:

This guy who high centered his rental then got into a fight with the wife and she stormed off. Zaphod and Sam, and myself were laughing our asses off

Some idea of the tools you see at Jedi

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Unconfirmed word is that the injuries on the ground were to a French family that stopped at the canyon, and were unaware it was a training area.

Its pretty remote and a MEDEVAC situation and no cell phone coverage to boot. The owner of the Panamint resort saw the fireball and called it in at least on the civilian side

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:17 AM
link   

a reply to: gunshooter

No. There are two seat Hornets, but the only version that requires a backseater is the Growler. This was an E model, which is single seat.

thank you for the clarification. RIP for the pilot....

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
Not to stray off topic or use the horrible incident as an example, people wonder why they weren't many pieces left of a 757 when it impacted the pentagon or the twin towers. Aircraft just disintegrate, there looks to be no large pieces of aircraft on the canyon wall. RIP to the pilot.

With the injuries on the ground do you think the authorities will set up some sort of fence to stop spotters being close to the canyon edge ?

There is quite a bit of difference between a concrete building and desert ground and mountains.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Exactly. And anyone who's flown it will know how crowded it is on a weekday. This is no different from pilots at Reno or air shows riding it all the way to the ground, and I say that as a massive chicken who fears death more than anything else.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The pilot was identified as 33 year old LT. Charles Z. Walker.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Thanks😔

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

So part fo the problem is that the site has become popular. You get a certain number of legit spotters but you get alot of lookie loos

Father Crowley is my bucket list, and getting the best views is a must. But going out onto a loaded danger zone is stupid. Granted I've never been there, so I wouldn't know how big the Canyon is, I assume anywhere may be of danger as accidents do happen.

Those pics are funny and hair nagging simultaneously. I would not step onto a gun range during live fire, and the Canyon is to be assumed live at all times.

Talked to some guys that make annual trips that have radios listening constantly. They say you could spend an entire day there and get nothing. They also say if you don't cue into the radio for nearby chatter.... you will miss you chance at a getting a pic.

Regardless,
Condolences to all.

edit on 2-8-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

That sucks. He's my age, and that's far too young to go. Prayers for his family and anyone else he left behind too soon.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Talked to some guys that make annual trips that have radios listening constantly. They say you could spend an entire day there and get nothing. They also say if you don't cue into the radio for nearby chatter.... you will miss you chance at a getting a pic.

It's not that bad, as long as someone in the group is paying attention. You can see them turning the corner a good 10 seconds before they reach the actual transition. Radio is good to have, but the transmissions can be really spotty due to the mountains. Our last trip, we heard one inbound call.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
According to his bio, posted on the USNI site, he graduated Embry Riddle in 2008, just after being commissioned. He was a member of VFA-195 at Iwakuni, before going to the Strike Fighter Weapons School Pacific at NAS Lemoore. He joined VFA-151 in February of 2018, after they returned from a deployment on the USS John C. Stennis.

news.usni.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Six of the seven people injured were from one family. No information about the seventh. All seven will require surgery and at least several will require skin grafts.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Probably not g induced blackout then. Takes me 8 seconds to comeback, hands wiggling....went to glory doing what he loved.....

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Unfortunately burning jet fuel tends to do that to people. I'm amazed no one (bystanders) is dead actually.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

From what has been released, all the injuries were to their lower legs. They were pretty lucky.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I was there the week before we spent the whole morning did not see one plane the visibility was not very good. Went there 12-14 years ago never heard anything about planes coming through there and saw a plane rip through there great place to view planes I hope they dont close it down

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
A NOTAM published by Edwards shows Sidewinder closed from Point A to Point C, and Jedi closed until September 9th.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The crash report has been released, but boils down to "we don't know what happened". It's kind of contradictory. The pilot was the most experienced low level pilot in the squadron, but wasn't qualified low level because he hadn't flown low level in the last 30 days. He was instructed to remain at 500 feet or above for the flight. He dove down on the initial entry, passing through 4,000 feet at 630 knots, in afterburner. It appears that he went into the canyon too low, and too fast, and when he tried to make the turn was unable to.

www.navytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join