It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear of poor people, but reality being so different

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I was raised dirt poor, made money, lost money, started at the bottom again, then dropped a few rungs down the ladder again with damaged legs. I live on 68 quid a week from crappy injury/illness insurance I took out, get my property taxes paid by the state, and free healthcare, prescriptions, dental and eye care so although piss poor at the moment, life ain't so bad...just a new reality and chasing the next rung on the ladder as always in life ☺️

Anyway, I went to score a smoke just now, and wherever I go takes ages because I have to stop and sit down every 100 yards or so due to the pain/exertion of walking. In town is a nightmare because I get looks like I'm scum off some people, was sat on the floor a few weeks ago and someone offered me help thinking I was homeless lol.

My route home is made easier by going through backstreet shortcut skid row where the homeless shelter is, and you know what, I actually like sitting down sharing the chat with the people I meet there while I rest.
I use NHS sticks to walk and they absolutely scream out poverty to anyone lol, looked at some sticks in a local store, 45 quid, which is 66% of my weekly income for one, so obviously I ain't buying them anytime soon!

A mate of mine was concerned recently with his son walking down skid row, and I was like "Mate, they are just people on their arse, maybe thieves to fund their habits, but with all the cctv there it's like the safest alley in town", he thought about it and then thought similar.

I stopped there just now, sat on a low wall, got chatting as you do, then offered a smoke, swig of booze, even a toot on one guy's bong which I politely turned down because it was Spice, and I laughed saying my mobility is bad enough without me impairing it any more! Everyone chuckled, I recovered physically and hobbled off on my way.

Like I say I've been in the money in millionaires parties, and on my arse like I am now, but one thing I've always found is the poorer the people around me, the more generous they turn out to be.
I'm getting a disabled bus pass soon, and although it won't cover long distance coaches it covers bus routes from towns to cities around England so I can basically get anywhere in the country for free, or paid for by the hundreds thousands of tax I've paid all my working life to date.

I'm gonna visit the small towns I never knew existed, camp on beaches or whatever, and enjoy meeting new people all along the way.
The crazy thing is that if I rock up in the roughest pubs or social clubs on my travels then those are the places I expect to meet the most friendly people.

I'm not sure the point of this thread, maybe just an observation that people are just fellow humans all over, but the ones who are the most generous in my life experience are those with the least.
All thoughts welcome, just sharing my own ☺️

edit on 31-7-2019 by Silure because: Damn that autocorrect lol

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It's probably because they know what it's like to be without and so can sympathize more easily.

I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:23-26

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I'm not religious although I was raised Christian as a child and remember one scripture, Matthew 5:16 I think, Let your light so shine before men that they see your good works and glorify our father in heaven.
I drop the glorify father in heaven bit and replace it with 'and feel inspiration to do the same in my life outlook lol.
But yeah, I get you, and sometimes the poorest financially people in my society are the richest with love and kindness for each other.
👍☺️

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I used to do a lot of community work in what we used to call the "projects" which is low income housing where all the lower and no income folk are packed together like sardines. A lot of what we helped with were from donations---some of that canned goods.

One year one of the lower income folk who had started volunteering suggested we do a Christmas food & clothing drive going to door to door in the very neighborhoods we were trying to help. At first I thought it would defeat the purpose somewhat but that lady knew what she was talking about.

The "poor" folk were MUCH better and cheerful givers than the "haves" who often seemed to think giving you a can or two of stuff they didn't want (a lot of cranberry sauce for one lol) or was out of date was "giving." The "have-nots" dug deep and went out of their way to help and were obviously willing to give until it hurt. They never gave ratty clothes but seemingly some of their best. The trucks and cars filled up much more quickly.

A lot of wisdom and empathy among those who have suffered and a lesson to all of us.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Ah that was a lovely story mate, I can totally see the same in my society 👍☺️

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Sounds like an echo chamber for those who want to stereotype wealthy people as stingy jerks.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Oh gosh, that seems a sad look at things 😞
I'm only going on my life experience through the whole spectrum of the socio economic cross section.
Poor people tend to help anyone in need, but the richest seem more likely to only help those they can identify with as previously rich like them.
Complete anecdotal evidence of course, but life has shaped me to see it that way from every rung of life's ladder I've ever been on 👍

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

I have a mate who is a millionaire, started out dirt poor, but built his own money through sweat blood and tears.
He doesn't pay a fortune to his boys, more than minimum wage though, and when they work he'll keep them fed, watered, and invited to his parties with free booze, hot tub, and all the trappings of having a coin or two.
I'm not saying people with money are by default bastards to people without, just I see more generosity from poor people, or rich people who have experienced being poor.
👍

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have a friend in a bad part Chicago who lives in the top 2 floors of a 8 story warehouse he bought 20 some years ago for next to nothing. Real nice place indoor everything. Pool basketball and acres of room. Best fireworks in the nation can be watched from his roof and he always says if you need help go to the poor people not the rich and he's one of the rich.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Lmfao I have a mate similar, bought a warehouse in a run down shipping port for like 10 pence (exaggeration of course) then turned it slowly into an amazing pad. Crazy thing is what was a rough area is now gold, his place is now worth millions and the council even gave him retrospective permission for the residential conversion change of use!
All his mates when he was skint are still the same lol, his warehouse is like a pub for his people, play pool, crash on the floor, no airs and graces.
Barney I love you man! Long time no see, but will shout you when next in port! ☺️
...that was a message for my mate if crazily he reads this 😂
edit on 31-7-2019 by Silure because: Fookin autocorrect, gonna have to start proofreading before clicking reply lol

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Sounds like an echo chamber for those who want to stereotype wealthy people as stingy jerks.

Good point, I guess Jesus stereotyped them too.
I guess that makes him prejudice and ungrateful towards the rich man?

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Here is a pic from my 8 quid crap phone from our UK equivalent of WalMart, Argos, lol.
These are the shady steps I sat down on up from skid row, I can only do 10 or so at a time, catch my breath, took a pic after reading text based ATS, then did the rest of the steps ☺️
Only drug dealers and lost souls walk these steps lol, but when I'm sat there I actually feel safer than in main street town.

Edit, had to wait a few minutes sat there before I could take a pic, no small time dealer would be happy about me snapping away while he was trying to hide under his hoody! 😂
edit on 31-7-2019 by Silure because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Im not rich, but proud of my accomplishments. I started out with nothing and still got most of it left!!

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Also...

Observe how violent and angry this Jesus guy was.

Aggravated assault, destruction of property, vandalism, etc.
What a guy!
Link

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
There are poor and there are "poor". It's the second group you have to watch out for. They're the ones who are smart enough and able that they could make a go of it legit, but choose instead to waste their time either sponging or in get rich quick schemes that are likely only marginally legal at best to outright illegal. They're the ones hooked up with street gangs and other stuff they should steer clear of if they want a peaceful life.

The poor are either only there temporarily or there because of circumstances beyond their control or because of circumstances they have no wish or will to change that they're mostly made their peace with. They aren't going to be looking to take what you have. Like anyone, they're out doing the best they can to make it day by day.

The real unfortunate part is the two types have overlapping ranges so they get mixed up.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
I've read your posts over the years mate, you in entertainment industry gig or similar as far as my memory goes, always thought you are a decent normal bloke just enjoying your rung of your ladder 👍
I absolutely commend making a coin when you can, my observations tonight are never about dissing the fruits of entrepreneurship...I love that mindset, life is amazing if we chase it, just some more lucky or pull it off quicker than others.
Brought my kids up passionately believing the same, and proud to say they in a better place than me...but always know I've got a couch available if they # things up for themselves 😂👍

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
My experiences in life are that being poor does not make people any more noble just like being rich does not make people any more horrible.

People are who they are and chances are having or not having money only increases the scale of those traits in people.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
My experiences in life are that being poor does not make people any more noble just like being rich does not make people any more horrible.

People are who they are and chances are having or not having money only increases the scale of those traits in people.

Yeah, I'm the same old me no matter what economic situation I'm in. I have been up and down quite a bit. I grew up in a semi-wealthy family.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I get ya just cultural differences, but similar sentiment.
Its easier for us here in Britain to chase our dreams, like the American dream but with social and health services which make it easier.
No matter what mess I get into the state will fix my bones if they break and sew me back up. There is nothing going for me on the NHS to fix my damaged nerves, just free painkillers, and aids to walk. That's cool though, if I reach a state where I am pooing my underpants then the state will pay for someone to wash/change me if I can't do it myself.
I'll take an opioid overdose before then though, have my family say goodnight to me, and a well scripted final letter.

I'm not at that stage though, and I am actually enjoying my new reality and the different opportunities to chase!!! Just different, but just as exciting as when I was a child runaway chasing my new reality.

I would always argue my anecdotal experience of kindness from people who are poor, or are rich after being poor, being more often though, personal observations obviously, but my honest thoughts. ☺️

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

My experience is those who have never experienced poverty compared to those who have, often seem less prone to help others who are on their arse.
Again though, purely based on anecdotal experience of my life.
edit on 31-7-2019 by Silure because: Changed more to less lol

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join