It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there millions of extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy alone capable of visiting Earth

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

No what I am suggesting is that what if a black hole or other such astronomical body which exerts large gravitational forces has somehow lensed the radio signals from earth into another galaxy or something weird like that
which we dont fully understand yet , say the signal entered a black hole and comes out in another galaxy and those signals have reach aliens further afield (well not at present because the closets black hole is 27,000 light years away)
but they are just too far away to do anything about it!

and so we dont hear from them.

anyways just a thought, that maybe some process we dont understand has sent our signals further!

thanks for entertaining me though

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Thanks! I lean more toward scholarly articles than I do a Vice style article. I'll take a look.

Your reply made me think of another tangentially related subject: using deep-mind like AI to create better NPC AI in video games, so -- down BOTH rabbit holes I go!

Think of it as a double split experiment for spacetime rabbit holes.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

check out the developers space engineers , they are putting a lot of money into developing AI for their games!

true artificial intelligence coming to space engineers

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

check out the developers space engineers , they are putting a lot of money into developing AI for their games!

true artificial intelligence coming to space engineers

If AI ever gets sentient, I'm pretty sure it'll be because of game developers.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

And here is Mr Musk on the topic of AI advancement - which is liable to give us all sleepless nights...

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConfusedBrit

And here is Mr Musk on the topic of AI advancement - which is liable to give us all sleepless nights...

As I've posted before, I'm not all that sure we haven't already been "taken over" by AI. Everything we do and look at and buy and post on message boards is all monitored. Our devices are constantly listening to us. I've actually noticed that just having a casual conversation about something at my friend's house where an Alexa is listening actually seems to cause YouTube videos and ads about that very subject to pop up when I watch TV.

It makes me wonder if the FBI and Homeland Security and whoever else actually know who and where most of the serial killers are in the country, and they let them wander freely because maybe in their minds a few women and children being gutted is a reasonable price to pay to keep the thumb on the old scare button and guarantee their jobs.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I dunno. It's normally pretty dumbed down in order to feed the "average players" power fantasy. Hence the rampant cheesing on YouTube.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
A fish will only grow as big as its aquarium allows. We are pretty smart fish but only in the last 50 years have we began to really explore what is outside. I sometimes wonder if there is something about our aquarium that inhibits us from becoming interstellar. Maybe if the moon also had an atmosphere and life we could compare and contrast the differences and become exponentially more knowledgeable in bio-sciences. A different planet composition might present unique alloys or chemical properties to easier discovery. Maybe some planets have a local phenomenon that gives away the secret to gravity waves..

We are trying to figure everything out from our one planet and that might be a disadvantage compared to some. I'm not convinced interstellar life is guaranteed to be vastly more intelligent. I think it is equally likely we are comparable in IQ and they just don't want us to figure out the missing knowledge, so they usually observe from afar.

Interstellar civs have no business with us. They're probably exclusively dealing with other interstellar civs.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SouthernForkway26

I;'ve said this in a few threads, what if there is something about earth which prevents us from doing long distance space trave like some sort of bio field we need to keep us sane

like if we are linked to earth and we go past that field we start to go mad !

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SouthernForkway26

A fish will only grow as big as its aquarium allows

That's not actually true, it's a bit of a myth. I had a couple of mirror carp, the size of a 50p coin to start with, kept them in a 2ft tank and they just kept growing and growing so into the pond they went.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join