It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender weightlifter’s gold medal sparks new debate

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

There's even a study now.

From the Journal of Medical Ethics

Transwomen in elite sports have an intolerable advantage in women's sports.

"The recent International Olympic Committee (IOC) (2015) guidelines allow transwomen to compete in the women’s division if (amongst other things) their testosterone is held below 10 nmol/L. This is significantly higher than that of cis-women," the researchers conclude. "Science demonstrates that high testosterone and other male physiology provides a performance advantage in sport suggesting that transwomen retain some of that advantage."

In other words, science demonstrates that being a biological male gives you too much of an advantage even with hormone treatment.

"To determine whether the advantage is unfair necessitates an ethical analysis of the principles of inclusion and fairness. Particularly important is whether the advantage held by transwomen is a tolerable or intolerable unfairness. We conclude that the advantage to transwomen afforded by the IOC guidelines is an intolerable unfairness," the New Zealand researchers write.

So when the IOC guidelines are vaunted, they're ethically unfair.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

There are a lot of nations that take part in the Olympics, that do not recognize Transgenderism. So it is going to be interesting indeed to see how they react to having their girls medals stole by a male in female events.

I think all the female athletes should just boycott the whole thing..!!

I know that would be very painful for many female athletes, who have worked really hard to get where they are, but if they don't do something now, it will just get worse for future sportswomen.

If women were to start boycotting events, viewer numbers and attendances would drop significantly (if not all together).

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The amount of denial about this here the last few years has been astounding. Coincidentally the people who used to deny that biological males had an advantage even after hormones are absent from this thread...

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Ironclad1964

I think all the female athletes should just boycott the whole thing..!!

Yup, I agree!

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Gender is determined through science, DNA and chromosomes.

Not what a brain decides.

It a person got hit on the head and woke up believing they were a chicken. the staff wouldn't coddle them into that behavior.

There is only 1 way to reproduce and is an example of the. Natural connection of a man and women.

Picture 2 hot dogs in 1 bun. Does that look normal?

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Equality at its finest.

It's fun to imagine all those who argued for gender equality now backtracking at full speed.

Women will suffer most from this madness, shame if i even try to make a valid point or defend them i'm generally labelled a sexist chauvinist pig.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

It a person got hit on the head and woke up believing they were a chicken. the staff wouldn't coddle them into that behavior.

There is only 1 way to reproduce and is an example of the. Natural connection of a man and women.

Acually biological sex is determined by these factors.

Gender is a loosely defined term that employs the same verbiage in order to confuse us about sex.

One is physiological the other is psychological but shhhh don't tell anyone.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Ironclad1964

I do not see a good ending for this.
I don't know if boycotts would work or not.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

Gender is a loosely defined term that employs the same verbiage in order to confuse us about sex.

Gender and sex were interchangeable for thousands of years. Gender has been co-opted by mentally ill people and their gullible supporters in the last few decades to push a political agenda that's factually hurting women. It's not even a matter of opinion. Stop supporting it.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Gender and sex were interchangeable for thousands of years. Gender has been co-opted by mentally ill people and their gullible supporters in the last few decades to push a political agenda that's factually hurting women. It's not even a matter of opinion. Stop supporting it.

I think you misinterpreted or misunderstood my post. It was a poor attempt at satire.

"Gender has been co-opted by mentally ill people and their gullible supporters in the last few decades to push a political agenda that's factually hurting women."

I agree.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Yup, it is harming natural females. Now you actually have dudes barging into women's sports and taking medals.

Imagine the likes of Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps barging into women's competitive sporting events and bagging up medal hauls.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

I think you misinterpreted or misunderstood my post. It was a poor attempt at satire.

"Gender has been co-opted by mentally ill people and their gullible supporters in the last few decades to push a political agenda that's factually hurting women."

I agree.

My apologies.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Wouldn't the use of steroids or any other type of hormone be considered doping, regardless if it a hindrance or an asset(cause steroids have been known to back fire), and would require an immediate disqualification?
edit on 1-8-2019 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen88
Wouldn't the use of steroids or any other type of hormone be considered doping, regardless if it a hindrance or an asset(cause steroids have been known to back fire), and would require an immediate disqualification?

I've brought that up many times, but the response is that transgenders can do it because it's their "medically necessary treatment". Now, I know better than most that you can take stuff that's medically necessary. I took a metric ton of narcotics for migraines during my competitive run while being drug tested, so you can take substances that will get you banned if they're prescribed and medically necessary.

But we can argue about how medically necessary these substances are.

Additionally, there are some things that you still can't take if there is a non-banned alternative available and the one you're eyeballing is on the banned list. For example, rather than take OTC allergy meds for seasonal hayfever because those are banned in some cases, the athletic department paid for me to have allergy shots.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I don't quite understand the whole gender/non-gender movement yet.

Can someone who is woke answer this question for me?

Can a person identify as both a man and a woman at the same time?

If yes, can they be both a men's athlete and a women's athlete?

If no, isn't that just as bad as saying someone is the gender they have the traditional organs for regardless of how they identify?

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I get what you mean, but what are they being medically treated for? Are the doctors/medical professionals are actually implying that they are actually sick in some shape or form?

I mean, what's the prognosis that they are actually trying to convey with the allowance of performance/ growth hormone substances to be able to gain an edge or even compete, when it would mean an immediate disqualification for other competitors.

edit on 1-8-2019 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Specimen88

For the transgender movement and push, the current argument is that denying medical transition is tantamount to causing them to suicide. Nevermind that the suicide rates in transgenders show no improvement before or after transition.

My personal stance is that transgenders can compete all they want, but they have to make a choice. Just like every other athlete, they either compete with the body they were born with honing it through training, or they try to medically transition. They can't do both because medical transition alters the physical body in ways rendering one unfair for competition.

Athletes make deep, deep sacrifices for their sports every day, and transgenders may just have to join that list instead of trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Now, transgenders who transition are perfectly welcome to join rec league sports, especially co-ed.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Specimen88

For the transgender movement and push, the current argument is that denying medical transition is tantamount to causing them to suicide. Nevermind that the suicide rates in transgenders show no improvement before or after transition.

My personal stance is that transgenders can compete all they want, but they have to make a choice. Just like every other athlete, they either compete with the body they were born with honing it through training, or they try to medically transition. They can't do both because medical transition alters the physical body in ways rendering one unfair for competition.

Athletes make deep, deep sacrifices for their sports every day, and transgenders may just have to join that list instead of trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Now, transgenders who transition are perfectly welcome to join rec league sports, especially co-ed.

Well for the sake of argument an "equality", shouldn't they be put on suicide watch, have depression pills forced down their throats, an have a shrink of sort just like the rest of us if that's the case?

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
That is a lot of trouble for deciding. Just get a doctor and make them drop their drawers. If there is a penis its a man. If there is a vagina its a woman. OMG ROCKET SCIENCE!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Wait untill we get trans-species people in the olympics a dolphin in transition to man in the swimming competitions.
Someone will enter the paralympic events as a man transitioning into a disabled wheelchair bound.
Also does that trans weightlifter have a clean snatch?
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join