It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of people are asking president Trump to change the date of Halloween

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Isn't Halloween monetized enough already?????

NO!!!!!!!

Don't let them ruin another holiday!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

NO!!!!!!!

I would bet those 75,000, organizers are from Walmart, Amazon, Google etc... it's all about the $$$

I agree... Hell NO!!!!!!!!!

And if they did change it, I'll just switch over to Samhain!

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

NO!!!!!!!

Switching Halloween from one day to another will have absolutely ZERO effect on how much I spend for the day.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Didn't Halloween become famous because of the astronomical significance? Changing the date makes no sense in that regard.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: bluemooone2

It's not a holiday. How does the American government have anything to do with the date? Otherwise I think it's a good idea.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Meh, every day is Halloween

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I would say changing it to the weekend would have an increase in drunken revelry, but those predisposed to doing that sort of thing haven't let a little thing like the work week stop them yet.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

what the actual ?

You can change the date of "halloween" in america all ye like

but we all know the real date of samhain is 31st October

link   
a reply to: Hypntick

I remember the good old days when the end of daylight savings time and Halloween fell close together.....an extra hour for Halloween adult revelry at your favorite watering spot!!!!!

link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

no halloween or Samhain is famous because of the significance of the date to celtic peoples of the British Isles and of Europe

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: imitator

is there anything else worth celebrating other than samhain

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Put getting rid of daylight savings time in the same package!!

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
That would make every M-F working parent I know deliriously happy to be able to know it's on their day off every year without a fight to take the day off.

Saturdays are one of my husband's off days, his weeks are S/M/T/W one week, S/M/T the next. Halloween last year was on a workweek Wednesday, and his ass was dragging after a 12+ hour shift. He wanted to walk with the kids and enjoy the evening, so he did, but he was beyond beat by the time we got home.

It was on a Tuesday in '17, and on a Monday in '16. It was last on a weekend day, and thus a day he didn't have to work, in 2015 (Saturday) 2016 through last year, he was either just just plain not able to get the day off, or unable to trade days with someone to have it off. The one person he could technically badger into covering him has a disabled kiddo in a wheelchair, they try to make Halloween as special and fun as possible and hubs doesn't want to f# that up.

This year, it falls on a Thursday, so he's in the clear. Next year, it's on a Sunday, and that's a work day for him.
For the most part, the Monday - Friday working parent crowd would be thrilled with the change.

Ultimately, I think if Thanksgiving can be a floating holiday instead of an date-anchored one, so can Halloween. It's not Samhain, it's only inspired by it, so the date isn't so important there.
edit on 7/30/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Put getting rid of daylight savings time in the same package!!

HA! You wish! Getting rid of it makes sense and would be easy. Therefore, of course it's not going anywhere

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Dumb.
Won't happen.

Halloween= All Hallow's Eve = the day before All Saints Day = day before Samhain = one day before the start of Winter in the Celtic calendar.

Important, dates are....yes, mmm.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
Meh, every day is Halloween

Good song though I prefer later release from Ministry.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Halloween is my favorite, but I gotta say it’s a good idea. My kids are high school and college now but weekends were always best. I think haunted houses would still go to the 31st and people would still celebrate until then, but make truck or treating an official weekend thing.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Tradition.

''Halloween is the evening before the Christian holy days of All Hallows' Day (also known as All Saints' or Hallowmas) on 1 November and All Souls' Day on 2 November, thus giving the holiday on 31 October the full name of All Hallows' Eve (meaning the evening before All Hallows' Day).''

This is the only reason Halloween exists in the first place. If it is to be changed, why not just change it to the first Saturday in August, August needs a good sales producing holiday anyway. Yeah, or put it some time in June, some time when the weather could be better and maybe on a Friday night.

It's not about the kids really if we look at who is sponsoring this petition and who is promoting it. It's the Halloween costume industry and candy guys looking to turn around their sagging profits.

So yea, let's change tradition here so they can make more money.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Some corporations came together because they can make more money if the date is changed.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: FauxMulder

I think it's a great idea. Rather have my kids out on the weekend rather than a school night. It's no fun when they have to come home and go right to bed.

Except for all the thousands , thousands and thousands of kids that had fun on Halloween school-nights over the past decades.

I already feel bad for the generations that will miss the fun that Halloween used to be... Get a costume on, grab a pillow case and go out with friends until the Fire Department Siren goes off telling you it's time to go home.. Now it's kids txting as they walk down the street surrounded by parents who are also txting.

I never cared one bit about it being on a school night. This is more for lame duck parents who can’t be bothered to celebrate on a work night than it is for kids on a school night.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join