It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In The Pews

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
In The Pews

It was late summer when I first settled in to this place that would be my home for many years.
The lingering heat had made people mellow, they had conveniently forgotten blizzards, ice storms, sub-zero temperatures, blocked drive ways and general discomfort.
They were nice and welcoming.
I sought out the church I “belonged” to among the numerous congregations, finding it amusing how differing affiliations could be cramped into a needle head on a world map; paying my first visit on a sunny morning with promise of late thunder storms.
Finding it pleasant, ordinary and comforting I returned the following Sunday. Plumpt down on an empty seat far from any one else not wanting to violate the silent code of “This is my seat and my pew”
In the “Old Days” there were restricted pews, with family names written on the ends, on fanciful plaques.
An elderly woman in green that matched her eyes huddled towards me, smiling. in a brittle old lady voice she asked me if I would mind if she had my seat, because it had been hers for so many years.
Not wanting to offend, she had such a sweet smile, I moved over, she sat down, grazing my hand lightly in gratitude.

The following Sunday, I decided to sit a little further away, it is an arduous task to settle into a new church, one shouldn't make waves, so to speak.
She walked again down the pew and again asked me if I could relieve my seat, thinking nothing of it other than she was old and forgetful, I relented.

The third Sunday I chose a seat as far from the others as possible. Down the pew she came, smiling asking the same question “Could you move, I always sit here?”

Sunday after Sunday this little old very nice lady followed me around the church so I came to the conclusion she had dementia and had become obsessed with me.
It was no big deal, we talked a little about weather and what nots. Oddly in hindsight I recall her always being “behind” me in the communion line.

By late fall I had come to converse with several members and they asked if I would like to participate in their weekly fund-drive meetings.
We sat around a giant assembly of tables laden with crafts and all sorts of food. It sounded like a chicken coop until one woman with brilliant eyes spoke up
“Let us welcome our new-comer” All eyes were on me. I thanked them and questions rained down.
“How do you like it here?” a persistent voice asked.
“Well, it very peaceful and beautiful, but there is one thing I find a little odd. There is a little old lady always dressed in green, who keeps telling me I am sitting in her spot, no matter where I sit”
“Don't get me wrong, I like her, she is so sweet and gentle, I just find it odd, perhaps she has dementia?”

Every one stared at me, silent. Then they broke out in chatter. “She is here again” “Why does she keep this up” “She is such a nuisance”
I forced my voice “Who is this, what are you talking about?”
A scratchy voice belonging to a dignified old woman said with clarity “If you must know it is Mrs. Green, she has been dead for fifteen years now but insist on her mischief”

Epilogue. I came to know Mrs. Green very well, she had some rather interesting tales to tell.

Thank you. Please feel free to comment on errors.
edit on 29-7-2019 by WalkInSilence because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2019 by WalkInSilence because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2019 by WalkInSilence because: because i can

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is a great story! I'm curious as to whether it was a real ghost or just one of the older lady's playing a long standing joke on a new comer?
Of course its more exciting to think Mr's Green was actually a ghost.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
That was spooky. Glad I don't go to church anymore. Please bring on Chapter 2. I can't wait.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Good story, Wis.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

Enjoyed the story Wis! I'd like to hear more about Mrs. Green and why she chooses to hang around the church. Was she liked when she was alive? How did she die? Curious minds want to know.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Nice story WIS !

Have I just entered or exited the twilight zone ?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Thanks guys, for your kind words.
post by Timely "Have I just entered or exited the twilight zone ?"
Are we ever out of it, I think we just choose our own individual reality on a whim or not!! He, He, leaving you hanging there.
post by Nightstar " I'd like to hear more about Mrs. Green"
Sorry no sequel. It is what it is. Reading snippets like this have spurred my imagination through the years and that is what I hoped to accomplish. To create an edge an itch with questions that haunt you. Mission accomplished.

post by Justso "That was spooky. Glad I don't go to church anymore.."
Thank you, as was intended, but it could have been any arbitrary scenario. Weird things happen all over.

post by Trucker1 " I'm curious as to whether it was a real ghost or just one of the older lady's playing a long standing joke on a new comer? " That is your choice Trucker

post by LoneCloudHopper"Good story, Wis. "
Much appreciated, Sir.

edit on 30-7-2019 by WalkInSilence because: crap

edit on 30-7-2019 by WalkInSilence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Nice! Have you considered entering a short story contest of some sort?
We participate in haiku and senryu contests annualy
It's an excellent way to share your insigts and imagination

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing your story of Mrs. Green with us. I enjoyed reading this.

top topics

join