It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

48 People Shot, 9 Fatally, over Weekend in Democrat-Controlled Chicago

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

It's a Democrat Group Policy problem 😎

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: xuenchen

Poverty makes people desperate. I surprised we do not have more rioting in US cities.

I dont think that's true.
If poverty was the problem every trailer park in the country would be a battle zone.

If not poverty, what do you think is the cause?

I would agree that poverty plays a major role. I would also say that Democrat party policies create poverty and make it continue. They create in their constituents a lifestyle of learned helplessness.

Change the description from democrat to just government and we would be in agreement.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: strongfp

I think it's a Democrat problem 😄

Maybe there is a reason why most cities have Democrats for Mayors. I don't know the answer. But if it's a Democrat problem, what policy or position by the Democrats do you think is the cause?

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Of course you do... just like every issue in the US right now. Easy way out.

You going to blame the fall of Detroit on Democrats as well?

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Poverty makes people desperate. I surprised we do not have more rioting in US cities.

If poverty was the problem every trailer park in the country would be a battle zone.

I think poverty is only one factor or it's a symptom of other problems.
The biggest being a cultural lack of respect for human life and the law in general.

Indeed poverty is only one piece of the puzzle, in poverty leads to hopelessness, which leads to destructive behavior.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Please give a specific example of what law or policy in Chicago by the Democrats is causing the murder rate to be so high?

Work with me here!

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

One parent households. Drug use. Glorified gang culture.

We have all of that here too, just not the same level of violence.

So you don't have poverty there?

The people committing these crimes have welfare, food stamps, subsidized housing, soup kitchens, bread lines, free education, shelters, SNAP, and the list goes on and on. They were able to afford the guns though and the cars they're shooting from half the time... I'd say it has more to do with culture than poverty.
edit on 29-7-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

See my post on murder rates. Some of the cities were trailer park zones.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

The people committing these crimes have welfare, food stamps, subsidized housing, soup kitchens, bread lines, free education, shelters, SNAP, and the list goes on and on. They were able to afford the guns though... I'd say it has more to do with culture than poverty.

So why is having a Democrat in government change the culture? Doesn't the culture dictate what happens in the culture?

edit on 29-7-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The people committing these crimes have welfare, food stamps, subsidized housing, soup kitchens, bread lines, free education, shelters, SNAP, and the list goes on and on. They were able to afford the guns though... I'd say it has more to do with culture than poverty.

So why is having a Democrat in government change the culture? Doesn't the culture dictate what happens in the culture?

I never once claimed that and I don't now. I didn't write the OP.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

It's a Democrat Group Policy problem

Actually, if you take a longer perspective, and take into account most of the city mayors are Democrats, then how do you explain this factoid:

"Even despite recent increases, rates of murder and violent crime remain at historic low points, almost 50 percent below their early-1990s peaks.
 A preliminary analysis of 2017 crime rates in the nation's 30 largest cities projects that the overall crime rate and the violent crime rate will decline to the second-lowest levels since 1990."

You could argue having years of Democrats as mayors has lowered murder rates as much as 50 percent!!!!

edit on 29-7-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The false assumption in all of this conversation is that there is a single root cause. There is none. There is no single root to this particular plant. It is a massive root ball, consisting of many many intertwined smaller roots. All of which combine to create what we see on the surface.

• Culture that rewards criminality
  • Lack of good education
  • Generational govt dependent families (i.e. Frees stuff for just living and voting for those that promise to continue the handouts)
  • Lack of political change in the face of decades failures of policy
  • A defeatist mindset of "can't do" because "The Man" keeps you down
  • Lack of familial support (single parent households that require working parent to not be there for children)
  • ...more... ???

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

No we have all same issues you guys just on a smaller scale, it's all there minus the violence.

The only real difference is easy access to lots of guns, interestingly enough.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

You are right. But I will tell you this. Unlike when I was growing up, crime pays much better than honest work.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

No we have all same issues you guys just on a smaller scale, it's all there minus the violence.

It's way easier to get a gun where I live than it is in Chicago. We don't have any gun violence here. People here have families and go to work. And I can almost guarantee that most of us have a lot more guns than the average person in Chicago.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

It's way easier to get a gun where I live than it is in Chicago. We don't have any gun violence here. People here have families and go to work. And I can almost guarantee that most of us have a lot more guns than the average person in Chicago.

Indeed it's not a one size fits all issue, which is why finding answers or solutions appears impossible.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Please give a specific example of what law or policy in Chicago by the Democrats is causing the murder rate to be so high?

Work with me here!

*crickets*

Lmao.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

This isn't a Democrat problem this is an American problem, abandoned super powers in industrial industry left to rot.

But Chicago has actually kept itself afloat quite nicely considering it was the center of Americas industrial power for a while, and gotten itself out of the rust belt to be just a rusty city. Compare it to the rest of the rust belt cities, it's far more prosperous.

Also New York has way more rats, and roaches.

I agree.
Though I say it's also a city problem.
I don't think it maters what politics a city leader has.
If we are talking about crime, poverty and cultures are both factors. Unfortunately like you said abandonment, left to rot. Means the next generation has to do what they can to survive. That means their kids see this and it changes there moral view. Then when they grow up they also have to do what it takes to feed themselves. But they cross the line a little more then their parents did, simply because it's all they have ever known. Do that over many generations and you have what we see now. Gangs.

I was homeless most of you know that. What I don't talk about is the time I spent in a gang. I had too. I was uneducated. Could barely write. No math skills at all. I didn't know anything about the world. But I HAD to eat.

What saved me was education. The willingness of people that had the means to left me up. Feed me. Shelter me. And never ask me for anything in return. I was in my late twenties when I was saved from the streets. Education is something a lot of inner city kids don't have access to. Will never have access to unless america changes. So I agree this is an american problem.

We shouldn't be fighting over who's fault it is. We should acknowledge the problem and focus on changing the things that will make a difference in the lives of the gang members. Because I can tell you all from experience that MOST criminals are doing what they do because they have too. Because if they don't they or someone they love will starve.

Food is a big decider in what a human chooses to do.

If we change their lives for the better they will have better options.
America is just not changing in that way. Not yet.

I don't want to call them names. I don't want to lock them in a cage so their out of my way.
I want to lift them up so that they have and make better chooses.

Some don't want to hear this but giving me free food and shelter is what turned me away from crime. With a full belly I was able to think more clearly. With a steady safe place to sleep I was able to focus on educating myself. With that education I became better. More options opened up for me.

Today I take care of myself with a job I like. And I just finished my first novel.
It's all about my time on the streets.
Fingers crossed that I can get it published.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Work with me here!

*crickets*

Lmao.

I agree, the leadership is not responsible for the crime in any city.
The citizens are wholly responsible.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Work with me here!

It is a series of policies that has allowed the problem to fester over 50 years.

The first thing is to acknowledge that it is almost entirely a black community problem. It doesn't even really matter if the city is Democrat or Republican. Big city or small city. If there is a concentrated group of poor blacks, somebody is getting shot.

Democrats shoulder most of the blame because they created the conditions and culture that leads to this debauchery.

The black community didn't use to be this way. It wasn't like this until the mid 70s. Democrat Senatory, Daniel Moynihan predicted this outcome 50 years ago. He noticed an increase in single mothers in the black community. At the time, he wrote his ground breaking report, the out of wedlock birth rate in the black community was around 24%. He posited that this breakdown in the family would lead to increased poverty, violence, etc. The out of wedlock birth rate now is around 75%. Probably 99% in some neighborhoods.

LBJ's War on Poverty exacerbated the issue. Welfare benefits pushed men out of the home. You couldn't get benefits if you were married or had a man in the home. This encouraged single motherhood. What is the old saying, if you subsidize something you get more of it. So once you start paying women to be single mothers, it is no surprise they want to be single mothers.

What you essentially have in the poor black community now is a bunch of feral, young black men. It is literally Lord of the Flies. You have young men full of testosterone who have been raised by emotional females. They simply don't know how to be men. They lash out and fight over the dumbest sh*t because they are overly emotional. People are literally getting killed over Facebook beefs in Chicago.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join