It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting reported at Gilroy Garlic Festival

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The giddiness with which the media and the anti-gun extremists come out after mass shootings because it gives them a chance to push their political agenda makes me sick. Meanwhile, yo u won't see this shooting all over the news for the next week. Why? Not enough people died to excite the media and the gun control crowd.

And what is their agenda? Despite what they claim, for many of them they really do want to take your guns. One-third of Democrats support a flat-out repeal of the 2nd Amendment. Don't let them lie. Ban and confiscate is their endgame.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I'm italian...

Even I find the concept of a garlic festival far fetched.

What the hell are you people doing out there in cali.

Gilroy is billed as the Garlic Capital of the World.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

There's a common theme going on here you guys keep talking to me about gun control yet I haven't said a word about gun control.

Yes, you did, in your very first post in this thread. You stated that guns were the reason; that is an open invitation to gun control.

You did state that you don't believe gun control is realistic, but there are a great many in our country who do not share that outlook. Many are in higher levels of government and quite capable of carrying out that agenda if given the opportunity. That's why we immediately take on the idea of gun control whenever it is presented, before anyone starts thinking we have lost our resolve.

It is literally a war between those who want to outlaw guns and those who want to stop the killings.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Chantix? I have heard too many horror stories about people taking it to count. It works for some; it kills others; still others, it simply debilitates.

No, I didn't read it wrong. We are in agreement.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The other effect of social media is that it has allowed the marginal groups to connect.

And it has forced others into contact.

There is a reason the planet is so big... people value their own culture. If you throw a bunch of people from different cultures in the same pot too quickly, of course they'll attack each other. I am proud of my Southern heritage and my rich culture and consider myself a patriot; some would (and have) called me a traitor for being such.

Did you know that there is a small town in Ohio that is actually proud to be the birthplace of the war criminal William Tecumseh Sherman? I almost drove off the road when I saw it! That's like Germany being proud of spawning Adolph Hitler!

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Prior to 1934, adults could buy fully automatic 'machine guns' at a hardware store.
You didn't need to show ID.
Were there a lot of county fairs shot up with machine guns back then?
No?
Seems to be a people problem that we have nowadays.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

This post is probably worthy of a whole thread all by itself. The other obvious side effect of banning any advertising for prescription drugs is lower prescription costs.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Prior to 1934, adults could buy fully automatic 'machine guns' at a hardware store.
You didn't need to show ID.
Were there a lot of county fairs shot up with machine guns back then?
No?
Seems to be a people problem that we have nowadays.

Hey, the gun control experts have no use for facts like this. You must stick strictly to emotional arguments.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: projectvxn

"Shooter has been reported as a white male, mid 30s, wearing a hat and sunglasses, camouflaged clothing; still at large."

I want to know how they jump from that to 19 year old shooter killed by police seconds after opening fire. Lots here isn't passing the smell test.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It's odd...I can't find anything about the shooter in the main press. Which if history is any judge means its likely to be a minority in some form. If it was a white guy I imagine its everywhere.

However--if the second shooter reports are accurate maybe they are keeping information withheld? Which makes no sense because if they knew who the first guy is you would think they would plaster his information everywhere in case someone saw him and thought---hey he hangs out with this other nutjob????

I dunno. Just arm chairing in tragedy. Something we are all becoming experts in sadly

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

"Shooter has been reported as a white male, mid 30s, wearing a hat and sunglasses, camouflaged clothing; still at large."

I want to know how they jump from that to 19 year old shooter killed by police seconds after opening fire. Lots here isn't passing the smell test.

Simple, in the chaos and confusion that is a real shooting and not one like you've seen in the movies, getting a positive age guess on a shooter that's wearing a hat and sunglasses isn't an exact science. If your other examples of things that don't "pass the smell test" are this innocuous, ya'll need to step up your game.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: atlantiswatusi
It's odd...I can't find anything about the shooter in the main press. Which if history is any judge means its likely to be a minority in some form. If it was a white guy I imagine its everywhere.

However--if the second shooter reports are accurate maybe they are keeping information withheld? Which makes no sense because if they knew who the first guy is you would think they would plaster his information everywhere in case someone saw him and thought---hey he hangs out with this other nutjob????

I dunno. Just arm chairing in tragedy. Something we are all becoming experts in sadly

It sounds to me as if they are trying to smother the second suspect theory.

Josh Campbell, a former FBI supervisory special agent, told CNN's Jim Sciutto that witnesses provided information to the police about a possible second suspect but "we know there's almost always never a second shooter" in these types of mass killings.
source

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Sounds to me like they're pointing out that second shooter conspiracy theories are almost always unproven, even years after the fact.

What would be the motivation of claiming there was 1 shooter if there was really 2?

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100
the only child I heard abvout was 6 years old..his mom and grandmother was shot and his dad was at home and got the call from his wife ...I can't even imagine going through this

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
The festival has been celebrated since 1979, this would be the 40th anniversary.

Just heard confirmed report that child killed was only 3 years old.

Lived in California my entire life, I don’t remember anything like this ever happening at the garlic festival before.

What is happening to our society?

Yes, I read that as well.

I based my post on a report aired by a local TV news reporter who said that authorities “had confirmed that one of the victims killed was a ‘3 year old boy’ “.

That “confirmed” report was obviously erroneous.

Unfortunately, my efforts to come back an amend my post last night were REPEATEDLY BLOCKED by that insanely annoying pop-up ad “congratulating” me for having won some prize!

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100
the only child I heard abvout was 6 years old..his mom and grandmother was shot and his dad was at home and got the call from his wife ...I can't even imagine going through this

The festival has been celebrated since 1979, this would be the 40th anniversary.

Just heard confirmed report that child killed was only 3 years old.

Lived in California my entire life, I don’t remember anything like this ever happening at the garlic festival before.

What is happening to our society?

That “confirmed” report was obviously erroneous.

Ya don't say? It's almost like mass public shootings are chaotic, confusing events about which it's difficult to pin down accurate information in the initial aftermath...

Who'd'a thunk it?

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The simple reason is easy access to very efficient and effective weapons. Some people just want to watch the world burn and will hurt others in a fit of rage.

Thats just a tool of the man who wields it.........the issue isnt the instrument...its the wielder......

As someone else said, it was much much much easier to get firearms in the 90s and 80s and yet it wasnt this prolific.....

The problem?

1. Culture of narcicism and growing up w out consequence.

2. Failure of mental health.

3. pumping drugs into a populace wholesale........

Who remembers when we DIDNT have advertisements for drugs, where the laundry list didnt include suicide, thoughts of suicide, or harm to others.......

That started mid 90s, and if you look at it, lines up to the issues were having now.......

Add that to lack of parenting, using tech to raise your kids, complete breakdown of responsibility...........

What do we expect?

I think you nailed it with this.

I’d be curious to see a chart overlaying social media use/proliferation and mass shootings/shootings in general/murder rates/other things that are destabilizing or devastating.

My suspicion is that we can trace the degradation of most things to social media. It’s gross. It’s used for basically no good - which I think is a function of the fact that we don’t really need it with all of the file sharing/email/websites/chat features/etc. that can easily be accessed or set up to do legitimate work or good - no need for FB or otherwise. Because of that, it’s degraded into the mess that it is today as unless it’s advertising, promoting, showing off or talking S there’s really no need for it.

Adding to that, studies have suggested social media use contribute meaningfully to depression, plays a large role in divorce cases, etc.

Why? My thought is that SM allows people to be a keyboard warrior with relative safety. A person can talk a bunch of S and get people riled up in 140 characters or less - then just sling mud all day back and forth. This bleeds into way people think, how they interact, and what they do when they aren’t online. it’s also brought large amounts of information to the masses who have no idea how to consume media critically, scale numbers, do some of their own DD, etc. - and they can do so privately/work themselves up without any voice stopping them.

Since guns/knives/spatulas don’t kill people, people kill people, I would rule out SM shouldering the bulk of the blame for situations like this before we start down the guns are bad path.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

New info says he was just 19 years old.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
“The deceased gunman has been identified as Santino William Legan, 19, CBS News has learned”

link

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
“1. Legan, Who Identifies as Being of Italian & Iranian Descent, Posted on Instagram Before the Shooting. The Account Was Removed, but Heavy Obtained Screenshots”

“2. Legan’s Family Members Are Well Known in His Native Gilroy — His Grandfather Was a Santa Clara County Supervisor, His Father Was a Champion Runner & Legan’s Brother Is a Noted Boxer”

Link to Heavy
edit on 29-7-2019 by raedar because: Add info

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

Just to add to the above - remember how violent video games are the devil incarnate in your game console?

www.center4research.org...

Some games are pure simulated violence - but I argue that given teens spend much more time on social media it has a larger and darker influence:

www.psychiatrictimes.com...

And SM users seem to notice how bad it is:

www.adweek.com...
www.eweek.com...

Interesting how teenagers interpret SM... but they’re teenagers. They don’t know S (and neither did I as a teenager):
www.pewinternet.org...

Some now even post suggestions on how to more effectively interact with SM:
www.itbusinessedge.com...

I say all of this because each time a tragic/horrific event happens everyone asks “why” and then blames guns/politics/parents/schools/etc. I’m willing to bet you’d see a decline in shootings/violence and stronger/connected/engaged communities if FB/insta/snap/etc. were eliminated.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join