It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting reported at Gilroy Garlic Festival

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I'm italian...

Even I find the concept of a garlic festival far fetched.

What the hell are you people doing out there in cali.

There are lots of summer festivals of this type: garlic, corn, strawberry, raisin....at this one (at least years ago when I went), they had food stalls selling everything garlic - from garlicky entrees, to garlic jam, to garlic ice cream. (Yeah, I didn't indulge in the ice cream...because ICK.) This particular festival draws a lot of folk...just sending up prayers that the casualty count is low.

edit on 28-7-2019 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

I'm italian...

Even I find the concept of a garlic festival far fetched.

What the hell are you people doing out there in cali.

You can literally find a festival or convention for just about anything you can think of.

A garlic festival really isn't that weird.

I'm starting to realize that, in my old age(of mid 30's).

Progress... I guess. Maybe there will be a festival that eventually appeals to me.....

Granted I'd despise everyone in attendance, but boy would it be a hoot......

NOT! Directed at Mr. Spock.. ( leave he/She out of this post ) just an example on my bit.. ok👽

Don't knock it till you try the ice cream, meat balls and twist.

Damn looking at the map, it looks to have grown in size since my last visit. I was going to say it's a valley of heavy scented garlic and amazing garlic ice cream on the way to Pismo but with nothing more than 7 farmer Bob's .. anyone shooting would be really bored and surely planed ahead with a gun purchase and a tank of gas. If it seems any dumber from my perspective someone may as well claimed hostility in Zzyzx ( yes it exist near Edwards ) California to low Borax concentrations thus taking out Area 51 Nevada.

As much as I'd love to smack the driver in front of me, shooting innocent people is ( Bigburgh can't think of a lower than cowardice word ) why do dumb people exist?

G'ZUS! Christ Cali. Never going back😔

edit on 28-7-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I will have to take your word on the ice cream. Just could not bring myself to try it.

(Of course, I'm not a big garlic fan anyroad.)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

They got the idea from a tiny French town claiming they were the garlic capitol of the world and had a festival. The one in France would draw in 70K people. Gilroy decided to start one in the 80's I think since they were actually the garlic capitol of the world.

I'm Cajun so I like the idea. In Louisiana they have festivals for all sorts of things...crawfish, oysters, po-boys, wooden boats, you name it they probably have it. Garlic is a big component of Cajun cuisine. Part of the "holy trinity". Lots that can be done with garlic. It's probably hands down the best natural pesticide I know that much. Better than any commercial product IMO.

Correction. Garlic is not actually part of the Cajun "holy trinity" but it's used in most Cajun dishes. Creole Cajun not so much.

edit on 28-7-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

And I hate to speculate, but I certainly hope the substance of THAT article is not the reason the festival was targeted.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jansy
a reply to: Bigburgh

I will have to take your word on the ice cream. Just could not bring myself to try it.

(Of course, I'm not a big garlic fan anyroad.)

Took me 1 trip. For some eventually you have to taste it twice, then it's like riding a Roller Coaster..... I'd like more please!
Mom and Dad always said "Try it once". It's said for a reason

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Looks like Christopher Ranch was also the focus of this recent Netflix show:

Christopher Ranch's Ken Christopher Discusses Netflix Documentary Rotten's Portrayal of Garlic Industry

Netflix has drawn ire from some in the industry over its new documentary series Rotten and sparked allegations that the series’ ostensible truths were less than grounded in fact. After premier provider of garlic Christopher Ranch found itself as the target of one episode of the series, Ken Christopher issued a statement vociferously denying the claims made by the series.

“The whole series was created to evoke a certain emotional response from the viewer. It’s entertainment; it’s not journalism, but the average viewer trusts the Netflix brand and may think what they’re seeing is journalism. So they’re really confused, and what we’re trying to do is set the record straight.”

So there's that.
edit on 29-7-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The garlic ice cream recipe is used as a steak sauce at that Stinking Rose Restaurant. It also has honey in it. It's likely roasted first which kills most of the flavor and gives it a more buttery texture. I could not imagine ice cream with raw garlic.

edit on 29-7-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

certain times of the year you can smell the garlic all the way from gilroy when it is growing!!! this shooting is really disturbing me..my daughter and her boyfriend love the garlic featival some years they go and some they don't...they didn[t go this time so I am so glad...but had circumstances been different they could have been there.......a 5 year old boy was killed...a witnes said he was covered with blood and his family was screaming.....how do you recover from witnessing something this horrible.......you never forget.

people come from all over to go to this festival..it is a big deal.....they have a ton of volunteers and they raise money to help the local people
edit on 29-7-2019 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: MisterSpock

daily mail says 3 dead and 60 injured reported by a cop...the tv said 3 dead 12 injured...this is a big discrepency...things need to get sorted out and we will see a suspect was shot and killed and they are looking for another involved

gilroy where this is is about 30 miles south of san jose and about 90 miles south of san francisco hope that helps people get a better idea of where this is

oh they are going to have a update in a few minutes

I heard the same. This is terrible. I guess we will find out soon what this was about/ It was one of the last festivals my mom and I attended together before I lost her. It really stands out in my mind. Those poor people

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Police news conference reporting the perimeter fence was cut to gain access and some type of rifle used.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Per Scott Smithee, Gilroy Police Chief: At least 4 dead including one shooter and 15 injured. Happened on the north side of the festival area. Shooter cut through the fencing around the festival and entered that way. Police were on scene and engaged shooter in under a minute.

Some witnesses have stated there was another man involved, but no word yet on whether he was a shooter or just a supporting actor (or if they were just confused).

No idea on motive. Weapon was "some sort of rifle." Investigation is ongoing.

My prayers and condolences where applicable to the victims and their family and friends. I started to write that I hoped justice would prevail, but really... one life for three is not justice, and yet it's the best/worst we can do.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Apparently, he was "really angry".

Van Breen and other members of the band dove under the stage. Van Breen says he heard someone shout: "Why are you doing this?" and the reply: "Because I'm really angry."

Source

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Compassion appreciated.. at the end of the day innocent lives we're lost. It could have been any of us. I just have to ask, why there and why now? Manchurian's

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Hellmutt

I think some of those injuries happened because people were running so there were twisted ankles and scrapes and cut when people tried to climb over fences.....that little boy was 6 years old not 5 as I posted earlier...his mother and grandma were also shot ...and his dad was at home and his wife called him.saying they were all injured......I can't even imagine...and my daughter and her boyfriend could have been there

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
...local vampires immediately ruled out as suspects...

I regret this post. People died, and I am sorry.

I apologize for being an insensitive tool...

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

I respect you came back to say that.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Maybe we'll find out the motive eventually. So far, all we know is his own words that he was "really angry". What made him angry? At this point, we can only speculate. Something apparently made him crazy and pushed him over the edge...

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

actually you took something terrible and you lets us laugh for a second we need that when something like this happens...humor helps us to get though something like this

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join