It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insomnia, anyone else deal with it?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thought I was the only odd person who slipped into what I call my "alternate life" when I try to sleep. Just started this a few months ago when I had debilitating kidney stones and other issues which have definitely sidlined me.

It's like I live a movie in my head where I am the lead player. It works amazingly well when I have to just live thru whatever horror my body is putting me through. Well, the *snip* helps me go there.
edit on 29-7-2019 by Asktheanimals because: Word removed per T&C

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddeninsite

The dose supposed to be best is 300 mcg.
Not many companies seem to make it at that dose, but we found Sundown Naturals Melatonin 300 mcg

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies folks πŸ‘πŸ˜
Lots to look into, I eventually slept over ten hours, well say slept, more like crazy dreaming, but has refreshed me for sure, for now

The more I speak to friends the more it seems so many other people are sleep sufferers in silence all along!

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Silure

Most i've gone without sleep was 4 days and nights...felt tired after 1 day and night, then felt euphoric the second day and night, felt down the third and like a zombie the fourth...slept for an entire day and night after that.

Not sure what 6 days and nights would feel like...but yeah, trippy is a good description of how i felt back then.

Had insomnia for years...tried all sorts.

Often used to go out for a run at 2 or 3 am...never got stopped by police once ironically, that used to relax me, but didn't really help a lot.

Booze...of course. That works, but isn't the best way to live..constantly having to get three quarters to the wind just to fall asleep.

Certain 'herbal' plant remedy works a treat though...natural, herbal, non chemical, non addictive (perhaps a little mentally, but not physically) and has no hangover the next day...but illegal where i come from (idiots).

Apart from that, watching boring documentaries helps, the more mind numbing the better.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

Thought I was the only odd person who slipped into what I call my "alternate life" when I try to sleep. Just started this a few months ago when I had debilitating kidney stones and other issues which have definitely sidlined me.

It's like I live a movie in my head where I am the lead player. It works amazingly well when I have to just live thru whatever horror my body is putting me through. Well, the *snip* helps me go there.

I have been using that technique to go to sleep for about fifty years. It takes your mind off the stress you encountered in the day. It is a safe haven reality where you are in total charge. I used to picture I was flying a space glider patrolling the solar system, shooting asteroids that were a problem in the future for earth. Of course, I never got to dream that dream in my sleep, it would have been a great dream. That is just one dream, I would pick all sorts of relaxing daydreams to help me unwind. For me, it worked great. I had a construction company, if I had not had this escape, I would have had little sleep thinking about what work needed to be done on which jobs in the schedules.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

What type do you use? I have a brand called Ancient Minerals, Magnesium Oil, Genuine Zechstein, and this stuff is an absolute miracle.

I have to read the thread about how to insert pictures, but if anyone wants to look at what the brand I use, to identify it, this is a site (not promoting this site, have never bought anything from this site so don't think I'm affiliated in any way with it - this is only for picture purposes only) www.healthpalace.ca... aAvZdEALw_wcB

The Zechstein seabed www.zechsteinmagnesium.com...

I just had my right hip replaced and my body has been adjusting to its new alignment and old aches and pains have been actived, and my knees are messed up (with osteoarthritis). I've been on 1000 Naproxen mixed with Robaxacet and Tylenol for the last 10 days and the pain has been so severe I have hardly been able to get off the couch (right knee) and then I dug out the bottle of this magnesium oil and I am moving freely and almost pain free. This is after applying it last night. This stuff is a miracle.

So, well worth trying. I believe the bottle was $10 at a local chiropractor's office. Maybe it will help with the nerve pains, and it definitely helps with restless legs. I also drink tonic water with quinine for restless legs. It's not good to drink it every night consistentely, but the restless leg thing is pure torture as far as I'm concerned. I find the tonic water "Fever Tree" at Safeway.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Thank you! Really appreciate that.

I have a "medical file" for all sorts of things. And this is going into that file.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

i agree - sleeping pills are seductive. I was using them for insomnia and to hide from the world with depression. Slowly I became used to the starting dose and as life situations spun out of control and the insomnia continued, I found it easy to add half a pill. My dose of 10 mg over three years became 30 mg and I practically slept away 2 years of my life.

The only thing that stopped me is I realized the pills made the depression worse and added panic attacks. The panic attacks were so bad that I started to not function when awake and they were absolutely terrifying. I quit the pills cold turkey (no side effects for me thank goodness) and the panic attacks have almost gone.

I realized what I was wanting was oblivion that the pills provided. Oh, and they made me so fatigued that it wasn't just a sleep during the nighty they gave, but a constant sleep. It was very, very insiduous. I am very body and mind focused and I think that is the only reason I realized what was happening and so was able to stop. But, I can see how they destroy so many people who just succumb to it's seductive offering.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Hip replacements can be rough, both long and short term.

The actual replacement process is brutal, absolutely brutal, so its no surprise things hurt afterwards!

Sometimes, I found actually sleeping on the side *with* the replacement helped occasionally. The most benefit I saw was stretching before sleep though. That worked until I broke it a second time (unrelated to the stretching).. Heh..

Heating pads and ice packs can help a lot too. Personally, I try to steer clear of taking anything (herbal, pharmaceutical, or otherwise) as I found a lot of it was either placebo, which I can initiate myself, or that it was habit forming. Which isnt to say it all creates physical dependency, as its normally understood, just that we can start relying on it mentally and emotionally to the point we are unable to function without it.

Of course, some literally cant get to healthy sleep function without something or another (from meditation to medication), so kinda damned if ya do, damned if ya dont.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

So relieved that I am not the only one doing this. Thought I might be crazy. Only told one other people besides here. I find it very hard to share really personal issues. But this is anonymous and harmless. This "technique" has provided me a safe haven away from my many times very stressful life. Thanks so much for sharing. Helps me, alot.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Ah thanks! You are so kind, thoughtful and helpful. Actually, compared to the pain of before surgery the surgery itself was a piece of cake. I don't mean to scare anyone, but I did wake up during surgery and heard the hammering, sawing but thanks to the most amazing anesthesiologist I was calm and able to handle it.

You are right, I did find sleeping on the surgical site a relief. The only issue now is how the body is realigning to its new structure, and the fact that the operated leg is the correct length, and I have to build up the muscles that were practically nothing.

I was blown away by how much the ice packs helped.

You are bang on about the reliance on aids for emotional and mental reasons. That is key to understand why it seems to be helping if you don't understand the reasons why you are taking/abusing it in the first place, thinking you're using it for another matter, ie: sleep. Thank you!

You are so thoughtful!!! SUPER HUGS!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

I find I do that too. Mine is apocalypic type dreams and from my dreams I've created this fantasy storyline which has become a "go to" place. How cool to know there are two others that do this too!

Thank you for sharing.

I have a very difficult time sharing personal info, but I find if I do then it gets it out of my head, and helps others. But, then I sit here and dwell on the fact I've just outed my super secret place to the world. No one cares, but I think its the point of opening up our most precious safe place to others.

Thank you for sharing yours, I value that.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Hey, never feel vulnerable sharing emotions and thoughts, feel strong πŸ‘
As a male I've fought (literally) from childhood for my right to bare my soul. I know ATS is pseudo anonymous but I'm the same in public, like Twitter, FB, and real life face to face. I see the emotional angle in every tale another human tells me. It's what I think of first, how did X thing make them feel.

The world and his dog can know anything it wants about me, things that make me happy, sad, angry, or scared. I'm just another human same as you and everyone else, always feel strength sharing your emotions, it makes you even stronger. ❀️😁

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I use the same brand....I am on the second bottle....will get the third very soon,don't want to run out!

Amazing results with your movement issues.....hip replacement isn't fun, I remember when the lady across the street would go up and down the driveway with her walker to learn to walk again.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

No problem at all

I hear ya on the pain being less after surgery. The first time I broke mine, the femoral head had been completely severed! Was a bit tricky to get to a phone

I thought it was pretty interesting how differently it felt from "before." It was a lot like getting some kind of dentist work done where they didnt quite grind down the filling enough.

It took me quite a while to try sleeping on that side, and I only did it because I changed positions while sleeping without thinking about it. Understandably, I didnt figure it made sense to even try.. but I think it ends up stabilizing the joint better than other positions.

Now, my biggest issue is more general pain (mainly spine). Not a whole lot helps, especially since if I actually get "good" sleep for long enough.. I will be paying for that tenfold with pain the next day. I find sleeping sitting up is borderline necessary, and things like meditation help get to sleep without the risk of sleeping soundly. Kind of a bizarre balancing act..

Good luck

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Yes! The pain was different. You said it perfectly. Although mine didn't break, I can totally relate to the wonder and almost relief of the different pain.

How in the world did you break it like that?

Immediately after surgery the nurses were telling me that it was okay to sleep on that side, as per comfort. That surprised me since I had read from recent sites that you don't sleep on that side.

You poor thing, re: spine. Have you had x-rays on your spine? As I say, my body is still trying to get used to its new alignment and any little thing will set off another part of the body. I fully expected to be walking miles by now and actively taking part in life but 8 months later I'm still pretty couch bound as different areas of my body flare up. It's extremely frustrating.

Have you tried a recliner? That was my go to recovery chair.

I have said a prayer for you. I expect it to work.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I am so happy to hear how much the magnesium oil helps you. I tell people about it and they just don't really believe me how wonderful it is. Or they say that they are already taking magnesium supplements and don't want to take too much.

I have to tell you, I was beyond terrified to the point of losing it. But, it was an absolute miracle. The whole thing was an absolute piece of cake. I am so thankful. But, yeah - walking was the most difficult. I lost all my leg muscle mass and thought I'd never walk properly again. I just got rid of my cane a month ago. Surely, but slowly.

I hope your neighbor is puttering around like a turbo motor!

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Thank you Silure. I am keeping your reply on my desktop to remind myself. I think it stems also from being taught from childhood that I didn't have an opinion, wasn't allowed to share my thoughts and that I was "stupid", and that my childhood was shameful. Answering with the truth, when asked, including opinions, was a sure way to be taken down by my Dad. We've healed over the years and I love him, but the damage was done.

I've had tons of therapy and am 54 now, but it's so ingrained it is a daily battle. I do work on it, but am too sensitive for my own good.

I thank you ever so much. Hugs!

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Ah brilliant πŸ˜€πŸ‘
We're all just humans and I'm changing the world one mate at a time haha, I'm like the rough bloke who other rough blokes talk feelings to, from rich to poor mates, even badass ones who live in less than legal, and violent realities.
Every workplace or social setting I've been a safe place for feelings, and I challenge the stiff upper lip bull#. I mentioned earlier that I have actually fought for my right to feel emotions, as well as offering blokes out for a fight over it lol.
Classic kind of encounter is "Oh get over it you #ing poof" with my reaction being along the lines of "Oh yeah,poof is it?! Come on then big man, let's #in have it then and I'll show you how much of a poof I can be on your arse"

Sorry, way off topic, but always be you and never be ashamed of your human frailties...everyone is the same, just some are more full of # than others!
☺️❀️

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I love your soul

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join