It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can We Have Civil Conversations With The Other Side?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I said appears to be brainwashed, appears to be because of how one sided he comes across, he's not willing to budge on anything so the conversation devolves, he's not a dummy, his sense of humor is testament to intelligence.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Why be nice to someone who thinks I'm just a brainwashed person?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Why should I have to "budge" on principles?

Why don't you?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Why be nice to someone who thinks I'm just a brainwashed person?

I'm not sure you've ever been nice to me, even when you were beezer.

I said you appear brainwashed because of your hardline stance, wasn't meant as an insult it's simply my opinion and how I have come to see you over the years.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Why should I have to "budge" on principles?

Why don't you?

You shouldn't have to budge on principle, however you should still be able to have a conversation about it being civil, as far being nice goes, that's reserved for nice people and isn't relative to this conversation.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I'm generally as nice to people as they are to me.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

"You never bring me flowers. . . . .

. . . . . . . . . anymore. . . . . . . . . "

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You know db, I may have called you a dick but I still love ya.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

For example, I think everyone wants to help the poor, but the left-leaning approach to it looks quite a bit different than the right-leaning approach.

I will agree with this statement. I have assisted in fundraising for a couple different private charities. Everyone does want to assist the poor, but I have found there is two differences when fund-raising to do so.

1.) some will step up and eagerly and happily volunteer their time and money, sometimes asking for anonymity.

2.) they will waste your time in long conversations about how empathetic they are for the poor and the government should be helping all of these poor people.

Sigh...true fact...only a few will actually tell you whether their left or right...I do my best to avoid speaking politics when fundraising...but it simply becomes obvious during the conversations. My experience has led me to realize that the most helpful people are those who take it upon themselves ( the responsibility to actually step up personally) rather than those who empathy size but take no personal responsibility voluntarily and simply expect someone else to assist the poor.

Thus, why I cannot help but lean conservative nowadays. I am truly amazed at the giving spirit of so many who in the past I would have assumed they would be stingy or selfish. This runs from the corporate elite to the poorest of poor who simply are grateful that someone stepped up privately and assisted them in their past. they usually can only donate their time but that is absolutely priceless!

For me...as long as others continue to rely on the government...they will miss out on the opportunity to really embrace their communities and create the real relationships to make America Great Again and Stronger Together for real uniting for all.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

He can't defend your point of view (nor can I) because it happens to be a view that is against the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

What point of view do I hold that is against the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Pfft.. in some locales, but certainly not on boards like this. It's full of left hate (and others right hate). Here the right laughably believe that all the left is unhinged, evil, corrupt, stupid, perverted, on and on.. while the right is all that is good and great in the world. It's difficult to have a discourse with that sort of mentality.

The reality of course, is that there are policies on the left and right that are great, some that are much less great, unhinged politicians on the left and right, unhinged groups on both sides, but.. the right folks on this board won't admit that. And there are sites with the left thinking the same way.

Everyone like to be right, and refuses to admit anything that might prove them wrong. It's very prevalent on the Internet, where anonymity rules the day. Good luck with intelligent discussions with that sort of thinking.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

Then Antifa and democrats (redundant) should have no problem with the 1st Amendment.

Right?

Democrats don't, in general. Some may. Just as some Republicans do (see the president).

But to say or insinuate that there is no difference between antifa and democrats, lumping the two together, is why I can't take you seriously. And why we can't have a conversation.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

What's the difference?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

What's the difference?

Between antifa and democrats, you mean, again?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Yep!

What's the difference between Antifa and democrats?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Is your question honest, or is your question cynical?

Other than than them being anti-fascist, I don't know because I don't keep with them.

You're against fascism, yes?

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I'm actually against fascism.

I don't "SAY" I'm anti-fascist and deny free expression.

Nor do I knock down statues.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Good to hear you're anti-fascism.

But you agree with knocking down statutes...and the Constitution?

Who is denying free expression?

edit on 30-7-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join