It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can We Have Civil Conversations With The Other Side?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: dfnj2015
You're generally right about much commentary on FOX news. But where you miss miserably is in failing to mention the remaining 90% of media is....just...as...bad...or...far worse.
Roger. You're one of the ones who *is* the problem.
Pot, meet Kettle.

I'm not sure I agree with your 90% comment. When has CNN or MS-NBC organized a strike or call the public take over of a monopoly? The corporate media will not criticize its advertisers.

If you want true left wing political ideas go to Mother Jones or Truthout.org. Yes some of it is left-wing click bait. But in terms of left wing politics it's more representative than CNN or MS-NBC.

Here is a good left-wing article:

truthout.org...

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: DBCowboy

You are so brainwashed. The size of government is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what you pay in taxes. All that matters is the purchasing power of your take home pay.

Size AND SCOPE.

GODS!

Learn to f@cking read!

What difference does the scope make if the government is promoting working conditions akin to economic slavery?

The quality of the government is more important than its size.

edit on 28-7-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

People who agree on the Constitution and Bill of Rights can disagree.

As long as the foundation of any debate starts with an adherence to the Constitution.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

As long as the foundation of any debate starts with an adherence to the Constitution.

Then why do you rail against democrats at any and all cost?

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Christ.

Why can't you just admit you want communism?

Others do.

Pissing on someone's head and telling them its rain is just effing wrong.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gumerk
a reply to: DanDanDat

Yeah. Just start with common ground. For example, all parts of the political spectrum that makes up "We The People" should be on the same page for wanting big dark money, corporations, and special interest donors out of our political process. Imagine the progress we could make if we all just stood our ground together and demanded it.

The people in power do not want anything to do with what you are saying. The billionaires and CEOs like to keep dark money and special interest donors exactly they way it is.

You can't have a candidate who is advocating abolishing the Federal Reserve (a private corporation having nothing to do with the government) because the Citizen's United ruling means the Fed can print any amount of money necessary to ensure candidates favorable to the Fed get elected.

WE ARE SCREWED!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Then why do you rail against democrats at any and all cost?

Because their actions, bills, attempts are anti-Constitutional.

So are the republicans and I rail against them.

I swore an oath.

To get me to defy that, you'll have to end me.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

a reply to: DanDanDat

It's impossible have any conversations with the other side. The other side thinks their own opinions are facts. And other people's opinions are lies. Heck, they don't even respect the vote! This is not going to end well.

Quoted for God-level irony.

S&f for the OP though...

I'm sorry were you trying to attack me or say something meaningful? What values are you suggesting we have? Are you suggested we respect other people's opinions? Because I have never seen you do it.

I was mocking you because of your opinions.

Something that needs to be done, so I do it.

And pointing out that you daily do the exact same thing that you say "the other side" does.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Because their actions, bills, attempts are anti-Constitutional.

So are the republicans and I rail against them.

Really? If you only half as much criticized the right as you constantly condemn "the left" I might believe you. Prove me wrong. Speak against republican fascism.

But if you already believe that you have set in your mind you don't want to conversation or discourse. That's the point.

I swore an oath.

What oath?
edit on 28-7-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Christ.
Why can't you just admit you want communism?
Others do.
Pissing on someone's head and telling them its rain is just effing wrong.

I don't want communism. I just don't want laissez faire capitalism. There's a difference. In your way of thinking, billionaires and CEOs are free to influence the lobbyists to pass laws creating cartels and monopolies. In my way of thinking government has a role in ensuring we have free and open markets in order to prevent obscene levels of wealth inequality. Right now, we have no mechanisms to wring out the inefficiencies of exorbitant CEO pay and excessive dividends.

The difference between you and me is you see nothing wrong with obscene wealth inequality we now have in this country and around the World. It's really a question of ethics and morals. Billions of people die from poverty each year. Your problem is you are brainwashed to think government is not the solution.

I believe in the words of FDR. Government is the ONLY solution we have:

"An old English judge once said: 'Necessitous men are not free men.' Liberty requires opportunity to make a living - a living decent according to the standard of the time, a living which gives man not only enough to live by, but something to live for.

For too many of us the political equality we once had won was meaningless in the face of economic inequality. A small group had concentrated into their own hands an almost complete control over other people's property, other people's money, other people's labor - other people's lives. For too many of us life was no longer free; liberty no longer real; men could no longer follow the pursuit of happiness.

Against economic tyranny such as this, the American citizen could appeal only to the organized power of government."

I think the billionaires, CEOs, and corporations are the problem. Corporations ARE the government.

You just blindly hate government because you are brainwashed to say that so the corporations will forever stay in power.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

You never answered my questions because you are a coward.

Yes, I represent my political opinion. And I used to agree with many of the criticisms the Republicans make about government. BUT THAT WAS IN 1970s!!!!!

We are now living in 2019. We are facing a completely different set of circumstances in our country than in 1970s.

Sigh....Reagonomics will never die!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeBrew

Dont be fooled, people are much more civil then the media wants you to believe.

Such blasphemy. How would TV Channels and Newspapers sell if we all got along.

What we need right now is a Riot somewhere for the media to stoke..... I mean objectively cover.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I have a question.
What country do you believe has the best system?

link   
Eff it. George Carlin is right. It's never going to change.

link   

I was mocking you because of your opinions.

Why do you want to mock people?

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Speak against republican fascism. 

Is it the Right and Conservatism that is banning people on Social media for their view and thoughts and from attending speakers at colleges? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Let me hear your #1 point of Repub fascism?

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   

You never answered my questions because you are a coward.

Yes, I represent my political opinion. And I used to agree with many of the criticisms the Republicans make about government. BUT THAT WAS IN 1970s!!!!!

We are now living in 2019. We are facing a completely different set of circumstances in our country than in 1970s.

Sigh....Reagonomics will never die!!!

I answered your question, just not how you would have liked it to be answered.

Let's try again....

Your ideology has killed over 100 million people in the times it has been tried before in history.

I don't want that in my country.

You do.

To me, you are anti-Constitutional and thus Anti-American.

Your ideology needs mocked, scorned and shown for what it is... a real danger to our country.

And for the record, if you called me a coward to my face this little lady would slap the teeth out of your head.

An internet tough soy-boy...

LOL

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   

No, we listen.

Life is hard. Your life is hard. It sucks. You're suffering, and you have to pay for things you either feel like you can't, or can't, or don't want to pay for because you think it should be provided as a right. You won't listen when you're told you are not unique in this. Others have been there, and gotten out of it.

No. We may have, but your circumstances are unique. You have it harder than anyone else in history ever has or ever will. So, government needs to help you, and government needs our money to do it.

That's always the justification.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Speak against republican fascism. 

Is it the Right and Conservatism that is banning people on Social media for their view and thoughts and from attending speakers at colleges? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Let me hear your #1 point of Repub fascism?

Private companies can do whatever they want. It's not a first amendment issue because it's not government doing it.

Republican fascism? Consolidation of executive power, undermining the rule of law , Congress, and checks and balances as is the Constitutional duty of Congress as set forth on the Us Constitution, thwarting congressional oversight, stacking the judiciary, ignoring multiple subpoenas, killing lawful investigations and legal inquiries to protect the executive, installing yes-men to prevent and stall oversight.

That is fascism.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Discussion or debate is a non-starter and impossible if either side is lying, exaggerating, belittling or name-calling, pigeon-holing as any stereotypical bad person to make them invalid before the discussion can even begin.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join