It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can We Have Civil Conversations With The Other Side?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

???

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Communication is a dead art. We don't even share a common language any more. English in some areas is so broken and befouled that having a simple conversation is near impossible. Add to that the idea that some people will simply not be civil and calmly discuss anything they disagree with, and you begin to see that no meaningful civil discourse will ever take place.

When one side does nothing but scream in your face and cry racist, hater, warmonger, nazi, whatever-phobe, there is no hope for meaningful discourse. They do not listen to reason. They do not listen at all. If they did, they would probably change their minds about a lot of things. But that isn't happening, is it? Nope. Not even close.

You can't have a meaningful discussion with a rock, a wall, a brick, a moron. They sit there, blank, devoid of conscious thought, unchanging, unwavering, immune to logic or reasoning. Or, if you are really lucky, you get the animated rock, wall, brick, or moron. They don't just sit there vapid and expressionless, devoid of thought. No. They scream nonsensical ramblings at you, rabid in their hate, claiming they are the compassionate ones and you are evil incarnate. Then they run to their safe space before retreating to the quiet comfort of mommy and daddy's basement to live out the rest of their pathetic empty lives masturbating furiously to recorded chants of "Yes we can, yes we can, yes we can..."

Do you really think you can have a civil, productive conversation with that? Good luck to you.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Which one are you

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Private Citizen Trump - Video Clip: twitter.com...

It shows a down-to-earth human being who wants what's best for everyone.

Those who dislike Donald Trump need to watch it.

Any anti-Trumper who is at least somewhat "normal" mentally, will have their needle move little bit (or more) in the "Like Trump" direction on the dial.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The real tragedy is he was the one Republican president most likely to advance many causes championed by the left.

Think of all that missed opportunity and progress.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: DanDanDat

It's impossible have any conversations with the other side. The other side thinks their own opinions are facts. And other people's opinions are lies. Heck, they don't even respect the vote! This is not going to end well.

Quoted for God-level irony.

S&f for the OP though...

< snort >

Pot, meet kettle.
You're one of the many poster children for doing exactly the same thing. To be fair, so am I. I'm not always right nor perfect, and neither are you. Difference is, you steadfastly insist you are while attacking or mocking every single poster you disagree with. Even going to far as to prove the OP's point without realizing you're lending the point it's major validity. Right in the middle of doing it. How's THAT for irony.

If that's too callous for you to swallow, the poster who suggested thicker skin is certainly correct.
edit on 7/30/2019 by Nyiah because: You know what they say about Freudian slips!

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
My baby mamma was raised in the soviet communist system - to understand a leftist all you have to do is realize that everything they complain about and blame other people for is actually that they want and they have done. It's called blame shifting, with a fantasize twist.

They keep calling everyone Hitler because its makes them wet, thinking about living in 98% white Norway as a single unthinking, hive mind.
edit on 31-7-2019 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 01:47 AM
link   
We can't talk anymore because when Trump won, it demonstrated that formal media didn't matter very much anymore. His mighty Twitter account was more than sufficient to defeat even the targeted articles being generated in Time Magazine. Even the contrived news reports on CNN.

All failing against a form of media that is essentially free for anyone to use.

That's crushing to the left because that was their primary power base. And it made them terrified to suddenly lose it like that.

Powerlessness induces panic. Panic shuts down reason, and makes us act on instinct. The left is in a tailspin where it cannot any longer engage in intelligent debate. (For now, anyway.)

But.............. sooner or later, someone on the left will figure out how to use a Twitter account.

Then things will go back to normal.

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
Communication is a dead art. We don't even share a common language any more. English in some areas is so broken and befouled that having a simple conversation is near impossible.

English has never existed in a pristine state.

It was always just a very badly spoken dialect of German. (The dialect spoken by a Germanic tribe called the Angles). It gradually got so corrupted over time that it became impossible for English (or Anglisch) speaking people to understand German at all.

edit on 1-8-2019 by bloodymarvelous because: shorter

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
In short, we can't talk because the Democrats are in a state of panic and shock.

They're terrified they will lose all their say in what happens, because they lost so much so fast.

When one side freezes up and refuses to communicate, well............. it takes two to communicate.

But they'll probably come around. Once they come out of shock.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bloodymarvelous
In short, we can't talk because the Democrats are in a state of panic and shock.

They're terrified they will lose all their say in what happens, because they lost so much so fast.

When one side freezes up and refuses to communicate, well............. it takes two to communicate.

But they'll probably come around. Once they come out of shock.

Its not about communication. Not all communication works people can talk and talk without accomplishing anything. The key is compromising, the founding fathers set it up so compromisses had to be made to get things done. This was actually very smart from a government stand point.

Problem is no one compromises anymore they no longer seek deals everyone can live with instead its my way or no way,

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

The problem is that a lot of what they want violated basic principles in the COTUS, basic unalienable rights. How do you compromise on those? Those are my rights, and while I could cede them by allowing others to oppress me, why should I do that just to appease them? And once I give an inch of my rights away, what makes anyone think they'll be satisfied with that and not come back for more?

We see this with every one of the grand government social programs. They never, ever have enough and always need more from me and mine to keep them going. I've already compromised that much on my personal property in allowing taxes, but they want more ... and more ... and nothing ever changes.

Now they want my right to self-defense *and* my right to religious belief *and* my right to speak up about what I believe and others?

Why?

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

We see this with every one of the grand government social programs. They never, ever have enough and always need more from me and mine to keep them going. I've already compromised that much on my personal property in allowing taxes, but they want more ... and more ... and nothing ever changes.

Now they want my right to self-defense *and* my right to religious belief *and* my right to speak up about what I believe and others?

Why?

I think if you are a conservative, you are right to be terrified. The goal is to put chains on Atlas' neck, so he doesn't shrug. (Until it kills him, and he collapses entirely..... but doesn't shrug, right?)

Sometimes people think that if they just had enough power, they could fix the world merely by ordering it to go fix itself.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I think both sides agree that the status quo isn't going to work.

And can be the most divisive kind of agreement.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join