It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Replica Of Mayflower To Be Burnt For Charity.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'm not sure why there's any fuss, it's a replica. I'll put money on it not being a sail worthy vessel. Here's a link to their website.

Construction progress

Clearly not a sea worthy vessel. They're a fundraising group for local charities, they also do a lot of charitable work locally whilst having fun.

Sound like a good bunch of people to me.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's mostly a shell, look at the pictures I linked. I genuinely don't think they're using hardwood.

It won't cost much to build definitely not £50, 000 or so they raised the last time they did this. From what I gather they're a charity, people working for free when they can.

To add.

Seems to me that most things are donated including the time and tools, it's basically a glorified bonfire. Seems a lot of fun to me for the local community.
edit on 28-7-2019 by RAY1990 because: More to add

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

And they are sponsored by some construction companies, so I suppose they get all supplies and equipment cheap or just borrowed.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I've been involved with activities like this in the past, it's pleasantly surprising how cheap such events can be to hold and how willing companies are to support them. Even large companies.

Yeah, I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I love stuff like this, it pulls communities together and gives all those involved a sense of accomplishment and capability.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Ehh,.. they can do as they wish still seems wasteful
What if I got seeds donated along with workers to grow a garden, only to set it on fire charge admission and donate it to the world hunger fund.

Just seems like there in an incessant need to be wasteful and a need to be entertained for chairtable contributions these days. I wonder how much waste and damage is brought on by the logistics of a lot of "charities"

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

It's an event for bonfire night.

About as wasteful as any other celebratory event with fireworks and other amusements. 4th July comes to mind....

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   

To need something recipricol from a charitable contribution and being so wasteful while doing so is not equitable to celebrating one's independence imo. One goes against the principle of intent, the other not so much. To each their own.
edit on 7/28/2019 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I don't know, just seems like these kind of ideas are the products of a generation of people that do not have respect for anything. They see value in destruction...

If you were really cognizant of a cause for charity, you could make it as detailed to the original, float it and charge money for years. People that appreciate that effort, and the opportunity to see what it really would have looked like, could see it over there, instead of paying big money to travel over here to see our replica in Plymouth, MA.

Britain built this replica, the Mayflower II, and sailed to the U.S. as a gift of friendship in 1957. Since then, over 25 million have visited it. Currently it is undergoing a major restoration of it's hull and planking estimated to cost $8m.

It is all about respect.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It doesn't bother me whatsoever if they burn it. They built it and it's theirs to do whatever they wish to with it. That said, they should sell it and hire dentists. I love you y'all but what's with those teeth? Many of ya look like you chew on anvils ffs.
edit on 28-7-2019 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

The irony here is that the original pilgrims in the May flower were seen as being religious fanatics in their time,....

No irony....they were incredibly intolerant religious fanatics who were seeking to find a place where they could spread their bigotry and intolerance.

Some may say they succeeded....I personally don't subscribe to that viewpoint, but some of the posts I read in this thread and others here on ATS could suggest otherwise.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Just some people having a bit of fun whilst raising money for charity.
No offence intended, no-one else has taken any offence at other things burnt in previous years.

Few bits of plywood donated from local businesses, really, where is the problem?

Some people just seem to delight in their faux outrage.....Snowflakes.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
I don't know, just seems like these kind of ideas are the products of a generation of people that do not have respect for anything. They see value in destruction...

I think many people are interpreting this the wrong way.

It's not a question of seeing value in destruction, they are using a common way of commemorating special dates (the burning of effigies that evolved to the burning of bigger structures) to raise money. The idea is not celebrating the burning, the burning is the celebration itself.

And this is nothing new, this is a way of commemorating special dates that has been used for many centuries in some parts of Europe.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

It just does not make sense to me from an ergonomic and skill perspective. I think the skill in recreating it is more important than it's burning, and having another copy, before the skill disappears, is important as well. The people that actually did the work can also be proud as long as it stands.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

The skill is secondary, as they are not celebrating it, and it's not the skill to build a seaworthy ship, this is only a mock-up version.

In 2000, to celebrate the finding of Brazil, a replica of one of Pedro Alvares Cabral ship was built in the north of Portugal, and a replica of Columbus' ship was also built there. Besides that, they rebuilt a bigger ship, D. Fernando II e Glória, a frigate, the last sailing warship to make the voyage between Portugal and India.

The skill still exists, at least in some parts of the World.

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I wouldn't call this a "Replica, more like an empty shell. The wood is cheap, seriously plywood?, the "masts" (for lack of a better word) look like telephone poles and pass through the hull into the ground, so "moorings" might be a better word, I guess she'd be real steady in any kind of a blow...

posted on Jul, 29 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Seems a waste to burn 5 years of work.
Surely it would be better off as a floating museum or something?

You guys used to have one. Did you break it or somenthing?

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I had a reply to you that I lost the other day, it was basically about how the skills for building tall ships is becoming a lot rarer, I worked with some of the last knowledgeable ship builders in my area. You quoted $8m refurbishment costs for the Mayflower II, it would cost a lot more than that to build such a vessel today. A lot more, including the training of a lot of people.

Their is a good few people keeping the legacy of shipbuilding alive, it's mostly in a historical sense and making sure all the knowledge isn't forgotten, some do repair old vessels and I think a few have been made. Yet it's still a niche market, it kinda has to be because the logistics and manufacturing that goes into a tall ship is probably a lot more than most would suspect... The ropes alone would be an undertaking if done without modern equipment.

So I wouldn't worry too much about skills and hard work going up in smoke, they're not building something that'll float. They're building something that'll somewhat look the part.

If you look up the group they do a lot of work locally, they've a lot to be proud of. This though? It's done for fun.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Sometimes people double down on stupid to fit in or because they feel a wee bit victimised. I prefer a bit of individuality when people think even if they're wrong.

I totally agree with the snowflake comment, just seems a lot of people struggle with being reasonable these days. You'd think these chaps have been running around nicking garden fences for their bonfire.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join