It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Replica Of Mayflower To Be Burnt For Charity.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I think this shows the idiosyncrasy of The British.

A charity group named " The Great Torrington Cavaliers " are spending 5 years in building a full size replica of " The Mayflower ",he ship that took the pilgrims to The New World back in 1620. The ship will be finished next year which marks the 400 year anniversary.

Over previous years the group have built replicas of Nelsons Flagship " HMS Victory ". Pudding Lane, the street where the great fire of London began, and a Medieval Castle.

www.bbc.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

However it appears that some Americans have become upset by the planned burning. I can't see why.

If it was a replica of " The White House " then i can understand they would be.

edit on 28-7-2019 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Seems a waste to burn 5 years of work.
Surely it would be better off as a floating museum or something?

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
However it appears that some Americans have become upset by the planned burning. I can't see why.

Just explain to them that "burning your boats" is a metaphor about not wanting to come back. and they will see how it's appropriate. To be on the safe side, make it clear that the setting is Plymouth Mass., rather than Plymouth, Devon.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hells yeah burn it. Dont need no Brits bringing their herpes over again.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

It's just the kind of crazy thing we British do.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

It's just the kind of crazy thing we British do.

As an Aussie I’m well aware of your craziness, sending your best and brightest to a barren wasteland 230 years ago is up there in the “Damn, did we really do that???” Stakes.

Worked out well for us Aussies though so thank you

edit on 28/7/2019 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Seems a little stupid and wasteful, but whatever. I guess the Brits don't have anything better to do with their time, money and natural resources.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

It is a bit amazing when the future of that island is very much dependent on the Marshall Plan 2.0 or willingness of Trump to bail out UK just because he wants to play golf in Scotland and then drink tea with the Royal Family, that then these survivability-terms illiterates want to irritate their very same Saviors. Yes, it is Americans who are AGAIN needed to save your powdered asses.
It strikes me in this situation completely insane, that burning that ship which brought folks to Americas, might not be understood to be interpreted as a quite rude act by their very ancestors. Like showing them off shouting, ”keep your dollars, we go down with the Empire”...

edit on 28-7-2019 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

Yes, it is Americans who are AGAIN needed to save your powdered asses.

Is that the same " America " that wouldn't even exist without Britain?

Yes it is.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
As a sailer and someone who loves the sea, burning a tall ship is sacrilege.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   

You seem awful worked up over something that has absolutely zero effect on you in any way, shape, or form.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Absolute bollocks.

Stereotypical Septic getting all wound up over NOTHING.

It's a charity event held every five years.....it raises lots of money for local charities.
They've previously burnt replicas of HMS Victory, Pudding Lane etc.

Grow up and a get a grip.

edit on 28/7/19 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

It's not a real ship.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

As a sailer and someone who loves the sea, burning a tall ship is sacrilege.

Sailor.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

No deal with me. It is just not that great idea for the future of those poor sods in that lonely island in Atlantic... I do not care which hell hole those dogs dig themselves in. But eventually we all know it will be Uncle Sam’s job to pull them out of that hole for the sake of the future of Earl Grey Tea and gingerbread cookies I guess. Therefor, a bit of prudence would not harm. You are not yet there

Ok,ok,ok... I cool down...

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
When we run out of things to tear down because someone doesn't like it then we just start building replicas to destroy.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I just dont understand why people are so wasteful about charity. The money and time that went into the project could have went to the cause. Instead selfish people will pay for a form of wasteful entertainment and call it charity.

If you get me to say yes to contributing to your charity dont then give me something of lesser value back, thats not why I gave. Use the money your wasting on the logistics of the coupon you gave me and and apply it to the cause itself.

There is way too much waste and fraudenence in charity, its quite shameful.
edit on 7/28/2019 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It could be offensive depending on the context. I see nothing offensive about this context though.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Yes, it is Americans who are AGAIN needed to save your powdered asses.

Is that the same " America " that wouldn't even exist without Britain?

Yes it is.

Actually, that same America wouldn't exist without the French [and Germans.] Without the Comte de Rochambeau and French troops and fleet, we would still be part of the Empire. See "Yorktown" and "Cornwallis."

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I would guess there is a symbolic meaning and ritual taking place, especially if they are burning it.

<<   2  3 >>

join