It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cov Cath student Nicholas Sandmann’s defamation lawsuit thrown out .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

There’s another ruling of his on the first amendment that sticks out for me. In the early 90s there was a huge scandal concerning bribery in the Kentucky state legislature .

After it was over Kentucky legislatures themselves imposed some of the strictest regulations on lobbyist in the nation .

Bertelsman overturned them ruling on first amendment rights and some other weird irrational nuttypp 9th style thinking just as in this case .

Yes, an appeal would go against a tide of federal judges smashing limits on money in politics. But the case against Kentucky’s ethics law is built on shaky ground. Bertlesman spins out ridiculous hypotheticals to conclude that the law is too broad and vague.

He speculates, for example, that a lawmaker could be prosecuted for violating the gift ban if he is cooled by a lobbyist’s air conditioner. Or that a visit to a manufacturer that lobbies the legislature would be construed as an illegal economic benefit. Or that a lawmaker could unknowingly partake of post-funeral refreshments paid for by a lobbyist and be prosecuted. Puh-lease.

KY

The good news is that ruling was vacated this spring .

I remembered the case because it was more or less local.

But I’m having a hard time digging into his past rulings to see how many of been overturned .

But for full disclosure I did find one ruling of his I agreed with. In the early 2000’s he stripped CNN and Twitter of the immunity for editing third-party content .

Judges free-speech perspective

The plaintiff was awarded around $300,000 . That ruling was vacated by the US six District Court of Appeals also .

So to the layman (me) most of his decision against Nick seems to rest’s on the fact that they didn’t use his name . But the Washington post did publish his picture repeatedly .

While I was looking around I found this .

Generally speaking, a person who brings a defamation lawsuit must prove the following

2: The statement is about the plaintiff. The statement need not name the person explicitly if there is enough identifying information that those who know the person will recognize the statement as being about him or her. For more information, see the section on Who Can Sue For Defamation.

From my point of view there seems to be enough holes in the judgment to make a doughnut maker happy pleased.

My money is on overturned.

edit on 27-7-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Here’s the kicker to this whole boondoggle . The courthouse Bertelsman resides in is about 3 miles from Covington Catholic high school .

In Kentucky that almost makes your family . Lol

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Wow! I had to Google the story because I didn't know what the thread title meant, but wow what a story according to wiki at least!
So some old guy at a demo beats a drum in the face of some 16yr old lad who stands his ground in a staring competition???
And the nation goes nuts about it??? WT actual F???!

Good luck to the lad, no violence, kept his nerve and owned it. I'd be proud if that was my son, I've raised him to always have passion for believing in himself, always.

Guys, I am genuinely gutted for you if that is one of your nation's big issues. I've been called a neutered cat by US people enough times, but if a lad can't stand his ground to a war drum, then that truly is neutered ☹️

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Silure

So some old guy at a demo beats a drum in the face of some 16yr old lad who stands his ground in a staring competition???

My first thought when I saw the picture. Was that there isn’t a doubt in my mind things would’ve ended very differently if that had happened to my high school class .

The whole student body showed great restraint .

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Massively agree 👍
That lad stood his ground in the face of a challenge by old guy with the drum. Honestly, I'd be proud of the lad, and I reckon the old guy would too if he was his son.
The more I read the story, the more I really can't get my head around why anyone is pissed off with the lad. Like so what the old guy is native American or whatever the PC name is for indigenous people of North America, old guys can be pricks whatever genetic history they have. You couldn't make this story up if you tried! 😂

Edit, For the record, I disagree with the lad about his views on abortion, I'm a bloke, not ever my shout, thank ####, but facing the old guys drum beat like he did, yep, be proud lad, always own it in the face of aggression.
edit on 27-7-2019 by Silure because: See "edit"

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Silure

The only reason he was used is because he was the sacrifice of the day to keep the liberals enraged with identity politics .

For the Democratic Party to maintain control they have to keep their entire base foaming at the mouth . So they need to make up a scenario to label someone everyday .

It wasn’t just that boy either. For me it comes as a great surprise mob mentality didn’t take over in a class of senior boys .

When you look at the make up of aggressive, testosterone , laden 17 to 18-year-old young men.

That’s the prime group for so called “toxic masculinity “ and aggression .

Which is just another liberal myth .

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Yeh man, totally 👍
All of them showed massive respect by holding their # together, while still fronting the obvious challenge of the war drumbeat. Would have been different if it was someone their own age group for sure.
The old guy started it with the in yer face stuff, probably knew they couldn't touch him and get away with it anyway, but they faced it silently with stares. If it is a crime to stare at some belligerent old guy drumming in your face then I genuinely grieve for modern society.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This is how I saw the lad fronting the old guy and his war drum...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join