It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cov Cath student Nicholas Sandmann’s defamation lawsuit thrown out .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 12:22 AM
link   
U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman dismiss the lawsuit .

I don’t know that guy but I’ve heard about him from people who have faced him .

Diehard liberal he should probably be sitting in the ninth circuit. He was appointed by Jimmy Carter and never looked back .

Here’s the gist of his ruling .

In a 36-page ruling, U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman noted that the Post never mentioned Sandmann by name in its initial coverage of the incident, referring only to groups of "hat wearing teens." Bertelsman added that "the words used contain no reflection upon any particular individual" and thus could not be constituted as defamation. The judge also ruled that the newspaper used language that was "loose, figurative," and "rhetorical hyperbole" which is protected by the First Amendment.

Like the pearl clutcher said they didn’t name any individual . But the Washington post did plaster Nick’s picture across the nation . Which made his name and face easily recognizable .

What’s the difference ?

Judge Bertelsman said in the ruling that he accepted Sandmann's contention that "when he was standing motionless in the confrontation with Phillips, his intent was to calm the situation..."

But he noted that Phillips asserted that he was being blocked from passing, and Phillips' opinion was reported by the newspaper.

^^^^^^
Everybody knows the black Hebrew Israelites were the instigators and Nathan (speak’s with forked tongue) Phillips piled on.

I haven’t got to read the ruling yet. But if that’s part of his ruling I think there’s going to be problems with it on appeal. The aggression was coming towards the kids and DC ain’t New York there is no duty to retreat.

We need six more years to weed these federal judges out that no longer follow the law and only follow their feelings.

The only at all balanced news network.

Of course a few days ago in predictable fashion Chris Como and Don lemon again said the students were the aggressors for wearing ‘red hats’ . SMH

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The Culture War rages on .

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Sad.

Pathetic, rather. No justice, no peace. Isn't that what leftists always chant?

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

He was appointed by Jimmy Carter

You got to the answer quickly there..
Never trust anyone associated with Jimmy Carter

And this is from someone from Georgia
Who voted for Carter
And has spent a lifetime apologizing to the good folks of this country.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Damn you old!
And you suck for voting for Carter!
Just kidding bud, we all make mistakes.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   
RIGGED !!!

Judge confirmation bias !!!

Appeal !!

Overturn !!

All BS !!

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 02:02 AM
link   
We need Puerto Rico Style PROTESTING !!!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Refile the lawsuit with a judge who knows right from wrong.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium

Damn you old!
And you suck for voting for Carter!
Just kidding bud, we all make mistakes.

I chalk it up to being young and liberal
Once upon a time

Yes , I am old. But only in numbers
Otherwise , still very young at heart.

edit on 7/27/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Just BS because some people did something !!

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
As I said from day one, Sandmann has no grounds for a defamation suit. I expect any day now we'll see a GoFundMe pop up to "help with his legal fees" and in the end he'll still make a ton of money.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   

If you want to MAGA you are the enemy. No further evidence needed.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Appeal the ruling. Lives and reputations were destroyed.

Anyone who thinks these kids won't carry this as a black mark for the rest of their days is smoking something, and the story was built off lies.

And, of course, the court made a ruling based on the piece being opinion, not news. So does that mean everything the press prints, or at least, WaPo, from here on out should be treated as opinion only? I guess they are no longer a credible source.
edit on 27-7-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Gotta love the Post's defense:

"We didn't lie. We just found someone telling the lies we wanted to tell and published their lies."

And they expect us to believe them on important issues.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
YOu know what the message of Leftist lunacy was on display for the whole world to see. Even with the spin it obviously pounded home the MSM spin was trying to overcome the facts and that was needed. If they pursue it further or not I support the young men of the Catholic School even though I was never Catholic or a progressive liar like the antagonistic mean spirited drummer.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

This isn't the only lawsuit, but it does stink that the ruling sure does make it open season on whoever the press wants to smear.

Press wants to know why people hate them? Stuff like this is why. They enjoy special legal protection to lie about the rest of us and hide behind "journalism". Wow, to think ... I almost become a journalist.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
So no one has gone to jail and no one has been punished for anything in nearly 3 years?

Winning.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Gotta love the Post's defense:

"We didn't lie. We just found someone telling the lies we wanted to tell and published their lies."

And they expect us to believe them on important issues.

I had a hard time with this topic, but this, this right here is the cold hard fact.

They didn't report news, they pushed a narrative.
edit on 27-7-2019 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We've all known that for a while though. Now we know it's perfectly legal to do according to this judge.

So ... you cannot trust the news media. They lie. Oh, excuse me. They don't lie. They simply find people who tell the lies they wish us all to believe in and print them.

But this is the new subjective truth world. All that matters is their truth, not the truth.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We live in an era where subjective truth has supplanted empirical fact.

Just look at the climate change debate.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join