It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Add 25 cents to each gallon of gas this weekend

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I'm not too worried, my Altima gets 32 mpg. I usually fill it up about about every week and a half-2 weeks. Of course I don't have to do alot of driving so I'm lucky. Maybe this will get some of the ford Excursions off the road. Got cut off yesterday by one with Bush stickers all over the back lol. Hmmmmmm?

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veltro
Maybe this will get some of the ford Excursions off the road. Got cut off yesterday by one with Bush stickers all over the back lol. Hmmmmmm?

Don't count on that, not at all. I sure didn't see fewer of those Valdez cars when gas went up to $224 after 9/11. Somebody told folks those are the vehicles cool people should drive.
I wish people would be more reasonable about what they drive. You're right about those behemoths taking over the roads, but poor taste is common to liberals as well.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Oil is what? In the low-mid $50's/barrel now? I doubt it'll go near $80 soon realistically, but that's what, a little more than a 50% gas price increase? I mean I know Europeans (at least they did on my last visit before the dollar tanked) paid for the liter what we pay for the gallon for gasoline, and their cars are tiny (yeah, yeah I know most of it is taxes). But why would I risk my family's life by cruising down the interstate at 75mph+ in a kia or toyota when I can cruise in my big comfy truck that gets a pretty gosh darn decent 22mpg or so that rides high and safe for just a few hundred bucks a year in gas?

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
Oil is what? In the low-mid $50's/barrel now? I doubt it'll go near $80 soon realistically, but that's what, a little more than a 50% gas price increase? I mean I know Europeans (at least they did on my last visit before the dollar tanked) paid for the liter what we pay for the gallon for gasoline, and their cars are tiny (yeah, yeah I know most of it is taxes). But why would I risk my family's life by cruising down the interstate at 75mph+ in a kia or toyota when I can cruise in my big comfy truck that gets a pretty gosh darn decent 22mpg or so that rides high and safe for just a few hundred bucks a year in gas?

No offense, but if youre cruising down the Interstate at about 75+ miles an hour with your family in your vehicle, youre a supreme idiot. Period. Youre risking their lives big time by fast reckless driving that even a big truck wont save you from.

And Ive seen alot more trucks get totaled on the freeway than I have smaller cars.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I do have a motorcycle, but a 1000cc Honda.
Hopefully gas prices will not go too far up. I remember when gas prices were $.85 a gallon for regular back in late 80s early 90s and I thought that was high.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Skadi, the speed limit at certain parts of the turnpike (at least in my parts is 80), not to mention 75 on the interstate (I'95)... It is not uncommon for 18 wheelers to blow by me when I'm going just the minimum, and I know many big rig drivers are solid citizens, but when someone is hauling 50 tons of merchandise I'd like to know that I'm not just a sitting duck going the obligatory South Florida 20mph under with my wrong turn signal on.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Waaaahhh! US$2 a gallon for gas...please...stop crying. We Americans are such a bunch of spoiled little babies. And before you ask, yes, I'm an American, although I live in Japan (Hokkaido...think Siberia & hang a right) where we pay over $3 a gallon (81 yen/liter) for diesel and nearly $4.50 (120 yen/liter) for regular unleaded.

Wake up, America...we're living in a dreamland if we think that a) the price of a non-renewable & steadily dwindling resourse won't rise to those in line with the rest of the world, and b) cheap gas is some kind of God-given right for those in the US.

And so many Americans can't understand why a good majority of the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of assholes....

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
maybe we are asking for too much to have reasonable prices with gas-but I don't think so! It seems ridiculous to me the cost of living in the US these days, it's not just the gas-it's soo much more than that.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by livinlife
maybe we are asking for too much to have reasonable prices with gas-but I don't think so! It seems ridiculous to me the cost of living in the US these days, it's not just the gas-it's soo much more than that.

Reasonable prices....

Check the price of gasoline in much of the rest of the world, before you complain about the 2 dollars you might spend in the U.S.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by HokkaidoHillbilly
Waaaahhh! US$2 a gallon for gas...please...stop crying. We Americans are such a bunch of spoiled little babies. And before you ask, yes, I'm an American, although I live in Japan (Hokkaido...think Siberia & hang a right) where we pay over $3 a gallon (81 yen/liter) for diesel and nearly $4.50 (120 yen/liter) for regular unleaded.

Wake up, America...we're living in a dreamland if we think that a) the price of a non-renewable & steadily dwindling resourse won't rise to those in line with the rest of the world, and b) cheap gas is some kind of God-given right for those in the US.

And so many Americans can't understand why a good majority of the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of assholes....

The only reason the rest of the world pays such high gas prices is because their governments tax the crap out of it.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Some guy in the area where I live was going to set up an ethonal plant and he was looking for investors. If I had money, I would be all over that.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I probably don't know enough about this to make a good case, but isn't oil bought and sold way in advance on the futures markets, and if so, doesn't that mean that supply and demand is only a portion of the cost fluctuations and a lot has to do with the speculated values that they were traded at previously??

Yes, and this is explained in the links I provided, However, we are getting it from both ends with the prices and futures, and with current supply/demand and the state of the world as it is.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The bad news:

$5.78 per US gallon (£0.82 per litre) here in the UK with 80% of that going direct to the govn't as tax, like earlier post correctly mentioned...

The good news:

I get over 60mpg:

www.parkers.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
www.usatoday.com...

Gasoline prices could rocket 24 cents a gallon the next few days, as stations across the USA scramble to keep up with big jumps in the prices of oil and wholesale gas, a veteran energy-price analyst forecast Thursday.
"It's going to be brutal, horrendous," says Peter Beutel, president of energy-price tracker Cameron Hanover. He has followed energy markets for nearly three decades.

This could be why we have ships off Venezuela??? The price of oil is skyrokceting and tensions in the Middle East have never been higher. Oil is expected to over $5 dollars a barrel soon...

It could go higher as increased warm-weather driving in another two months pushes up demand, and therefore prices, forecasters say.

Looks to be a LOOOONGGGG, hot summer in the USA

also see
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4-3-2005 by esdad71]

Five days later and it only went up $0.05 here in NY. Just thought that I'd point that out. Also, as someone earlier said, I almost want a truck because they are safer. I had been in two accidents that totaled two cars, one nissan and one buick. Both accidents were against trucks, that had very little damage to the bumper or side fender. I'm getting ripped off with these small cars, but hey, at least I lived.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Are all these "reasons" for prices going up actually the real reason. Or is it just because they can? I'm just wondering.

Troy

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Yup, Steggy, I drive a Chevy Silverado, but while it was in the body shop (guy had no insurance... Welcome to the Caribbean...) I was hit by an illegal (guess what?!) so I paid the $1700+ out of pocket b/c I didn't want that "loss" hanging over my . for future payments... living in South FLA and all...)... and I felt and feel damn safe in my truck - the damn free rental "car" (a Kia Rio) was gosh darn scary! The thing moved everytime sometime zoomed by it! You have no idea how much I love having my Silverado back!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Are all these "reasons" for prices going up actually the real reason. Or is it just because they can? I'm just wondering.

Troy

oh you betya - i can pretty much guar-n-tee it!

Ever notice how on the news it says "todays oil traded up" and that same night you can go to a gas station and see a rise in prices. The oil we were talking about did not make it to the plants yet let alone the pump but the prices sure have.

now turn it around: ever here news caster say "oil prices plumeted today." and 2 weeks later the prices still have not appreicably dropped at the pumps? gouging, pure and simple. we as consumers need a recourse against these folks.

How about the governments taking part and dropping the gas tax- in nearly every case that is 90% of the cost of the gas. but you know those congressmen got to make sure there is enough revinue for their next self voted raise.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
one of my postings from the bio fuels thread:

biting the bullet and starting work on my own Bio-diesel plant;

i have a bit of property to hide it on since i have 2.5 acres- in colorado and diesel prices are going nuts.

it looks like none of you guys have any plans that you are willing to share so i will be re-inventing the wheel to get this done up. It maybe a while until it is operational since i plan to use quality construction and fully automated short of raw material injection and have it transportable via trailer or my f-350.

right now i have started gathering hot water heater tanks- for the various processing stages

i guess i'll keep you all posted on how things turn out.

anyone on the board from the Springs area? it won't cost much but there will be plenty to do gathering the material and the raw vegi oil from all the fast food joints. i am sure i will have surplus of some sort as i don't drive the f-350 every day and the VW beetle doesn't use diesel.

oh and yes- i am a fully certified engineer just in case the question comes up. but i'd still rather be doing this with proven successful plans versus reinventing the wheel.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I got a small focus and my husband have a cavalier, I remember when I used to fill my car with 10 dollars now is up to 22, we used to travel to visit my daughter in college every other weekend and is getting to the point that is better to give her the money for expenditures than to spend it on gas for one day of family get together.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

anyone on the board from the Springs area?

I used to live on Ft. Carson. But that was a long time ago. Loved it out there.

Back on topic, best of luck with your project. Keep us informed.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join