It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Intel Report: Russia 'exploited the seams' in US election security defenses in 2016

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Russia 'exploited the seams' in US election security defenses in 2016: Senate report

A report released today details the extent to which (mostly) Russia (and other unknown actors) hacked into the US election infrastructure in numerous states.

Although there has been no evidence that any votes were changed, the hack allowed cyber actors to gain access to voter rolls and other information regarding voting systems.

This report coming just after the Mueller Hearing, which he specifically stated Russia is currently and actively continuing to interfere, and after Republicans killed two bills aimed at election security and integrity—for our nation and for our future.

This is a big deal, folks. This affects us all, our country, right and left, and is not a partisan issue, or at least shouldn't be.

Russia "exploited the seams" in U.S. election security defenses ahead of the 2016 presidential election, and federal officials failed to effectively raise the alarm to the right state and local officials about the threat they faced, according to a new Senate report.

The report accused Russia of attempting to find vulnerabilities in the voting infrastructure systems most likely in all 50 states. It described 21 states in which officials noted suspicious incidents or the scanning of their systems.

Russia successfully exfiltrated the personal data of hundreds of thousands of voters from systems in at least two states, the report says: Illinois and another unnamed state.

And then the question of why:

"Based on what the [intelligence community] knows about Russia's operating procedures and intentions more broadly, the [intelligence community] assesses that Russia's activities against U.S. election infrastructure likely sought to further their overarching goal; undermining the integrity of elections and American confidence in democracy," it says.

It is widely known that systems were breached, but the extent to which they were has been unknown. It was also previously known that the reason was, in part, to undermine the US democratic institutions.

This is happening. It is real.

And this is a huge fail all around: while the US government was aware, to a degree, of what was happening, it fumbled:

Perhaps more significantly, the report said that though the federal government issued warnings about nefarious Russian activity online and told states what specific internet protocol (IP) addresses to block or be on the look out for, they failed to describe the level of the threat to local officials or say that a sophisticated nation-state was behind them. In some cases the federal government warned the wrong local officials, the report says.

It is widely known that systems were breached, but the extent to which they were has been unknown. It was also previously known that the reason was, in part, to undermine the US democratic institutions.

This is happening. It is real.

If affects us all.

Senate Intelligence Committee Vice Chairman Mark Warner, D-Va., said, "When the Russians attacked elections systems in 2016, neither the federal government nor the states were adequately prepared."

Warner noted that the federal government and states had made strides in election security since, but said, "there's still much more we can and must do to protect our elections."

Report (PDF direct download link)

edit on 25-7-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Not on Biden snd Obamas watch!

Seriously though... the ambiguity is killing me. This is not a happening. And they were told to "block IP addresses?" What is my IP right now? Lets check again on my next post.

Have no doubt that foreign nations try to affect election outcomes. We the USA are likely the worst and biggest offender. I want details though.

Not. Happening.

Sorry!
-d

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I recall the President telling our intel agencies to "stand down". Now why would he do that?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Are you under the impression that it's the first time Russia has attempted to intervene in our election process ? Do you believe that Russia is the only foreign entity to attempt to influence our elections process ? Do you doubt that the United States has ever participated in the same actions against our friends and enemies alike? Do you feel that the Russians could influence the way you vote ? Why is it now, so important to take action and exactly what action are we to take ? Could not an ordinary citizen do the exact same action the Russians performed, which would be legal by the way as anyone can spend money on advertisements. Could not a naturalized Russian-American do the same and would that no longer be legal under any actions some may wish to take ?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

The report, and the OP (had you read them), state it's not only Russia, yet Russian is the main one.

That the US has done it is irrelevant.

But it appears it doesn't make a difference to you that this is happening, which is the sad part.

(post by UKTruth removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I got an idea!

Everyone step forward and raise a hand that changed their vote from Hillary to President Trump due to the Russian meddling!

I don't see any hands up!

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I'd wager that Russia and every other country had, in some way, interfered with every election we've ever had.

I'd also wager that we've done and still do, the same.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I wouldn't go so far as to say "every election we have ever had," but perhaps as long as we have moved from paper to electronic (propaganda notwithstanding).

The point is: do Americans care, and what can we do to safeguard our elections as much as possible?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

It's a faux problem.

It's a media and government "ginned-up" problem.

It happens. It has always happened.

We do it.

We're not going to stop. Why would any country stop?

No votes were changed.

Period.

The only thing being used is propaganda and that's been around since the time of the Pharos.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

We're not going to stop. Why would any country stop?

No one is saying they will stop. The point is to prevent them from accessing/hacking our voting systems as much as possible and to take the best precautions we can for the integrity of our elections.

Again, us doing it is irrelevant.

No votes were changed.

Period.

Not that is known. But they likely could have been, or voter rolls altered to prevent voters from voting. That's pretty serious.

Sad to see you don't care about the integrity of our elections.

Figures.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
One would think that foreign government(s) hacking into US voting systems with the potential to compromise elections would be a non-partisan issue that would unite Americans as patriots of their country.

Guess not.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   

*laughs*

Integrity in our elections???

Isn't that like looking for virginity in a whorehouse?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

The US doesn't interfere in foreign elections.

We just assassinate their leaders and install puppet governments, then bribe everyone with cash, drugs and sex slaves to keep their mouths shut.

Who needs elections?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Smh.

Don't you want our elections to be as safe and secure as possible?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

I would further wager that AMERICANS have interfered with our elections far more than . . . . THE RUSSIANS!

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Smh.

I do. Lets start with a national voter ID law.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Smh.

We do want our elections secure, however it cannot be done electronically, especially if we backdoor all encryption. We cannot do it on paper either, as we learned in Broward county with the "hanging chad" situation. The only solution is for everyone to show up in one place. Democrats on the left and conservatives on the right. Whichever side cheers the loudest wins.

A star for everyone in this thread up to this post!

edit on 25-7-2019 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: vor78

Because carding people works so well, right?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Smh.

Sure!

I also want honest politicians.

I want a prostate that works.

I want comfortable shoes.

I want a lot of things.

"Wanting" something is just more virtue signaling. I "care" about the "integrity" of our elections.

I "want" a honest election process.

There's an old saying about wanting in one hand and pooping in another and seeing which one fills up first.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join