It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitting the Right political buttons....

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BuckyWunderlick

Yes, I see it on every late night television show or event, for instance on Stephen Colbert or at the Oscars. Insert anti-Trump joke followed by applause and jeering.

Okay I get what your trying to say here but in that instance I disagree in so far as a joke is just a joke its not quite the same as a debate although I would add that I agree this happens on both sides of the political divide. I

I think my issue has always been that I pretty much universally detest all politicians, I wrote threads critical of Obama just as I do Trump, I was used to seeing this on ATS, we used to talk about "the Sheeple" following their politicians yet now the ones who I used to count among my fellow fox's are now part of "the Sheeple".

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yes, I see it on every late night television show or event, for instance on Stephen Colbert or at the Oscars. Insert anti-Trump joke followed by applause and jeering.

Okay I get what your trying to say here but in that instance I disagree in so far as a joke is just a joke its not quite the same as a debate although I would add that I agree this happens on both sides of the political divide. I

I think my issue has always been that I pretty much universally detest all politicians, I wrote threads critical of Obama just as I do Trump, I was used to seeing this on ATS, we used to talk about "the Sheeple" following their politicians yet now the ones who I used to count among my fellow fox's are now part of "the Sheeple".

Universally detesting anyone because of their profession is a bad approach, I think. Some people like certain politicians while disliking others and there is certainly no harm in that.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuckyWunderlick

Universally detesting anyone because of their profession is a bad approach, I think. Some people like certain politicians while disliking others and there is certainly no harm in that.

There is no harm in liking a certain politician but when you let that liking of your favourite politician stop you from speaking out when they do wrong or holding them accountable then we have a problem.

We saw this with Trump, "grab em by the pussy"

Some of his supporters didn't have a problem with this, not because what he said was actually perfectly acceptable, it wasn't but because they are part of the political circle-jerk, they have this opinion that he is the best and no matter wha they're not going to let anything change that even if that means defending him boasting about sexually assaulting women.

See what am getting at here?
edit on 27-7-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuckyWunderlick

There is no harm in liking a certain politician but we you let that liking of your favourite politician stop you from speaking out when they do wrong or holding them accountable then we have a problem.

We saw this with Trump, "gram em by the pussy"

Some of his supporters didn't have a problem with this, not because what he said was actually perfectly acceptable, it wasn't but because they are part of the political circle-jerk, they have this opinion that he is the best and no matter wha they're not going to let anything change that even if that means defending him boasting about sexually assaulting women.

See what am getting at here?

I know for myself I didn’t have a problem with it, mostly because it was a decades old private conversation between two men. But likewise, anti-Trumpers didn’t have a problem with using someone’s decades Old private conversations for political ammunition and smearing purposes, and in fact they loved it and utilized it for the greatest effect. You’re using it now.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Pointing out those decrying bullying and name calling from one side actually engage in that themselves is relevant to the thread.

You could point out flaws in the reasoning, if you could. Which you can't, hence you went full blown Ad Hominem Fallacy to marginalize everything the OP brings to the table.

Which, in turn, would be relevant for this topic, indeed. How does it feel to shoot yourself in the foot?

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: chr0naut

Look at what you actually just said, and then all your stars for that post.

You just validated the OP very strongly.

These are the arguments the OP was making, but that doesn't make them valid. Complaining about losing arguments does not validate the argument of anybody. Normally that would be a call to do better, but no. To you, it's just validation. How expected.

Abstracting the argument away from what you just said (highly right-wing politicized, and with no other meaning) and the response to that comment (all the stars), does not excuse that the nature of that specific response IS entirely what the OP was about.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Yes, whining about losing arguments.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Knee-jerky Jaw-busting reactionary typical 🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 01:17 AM
link   

It's over.

The game is over.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🚬

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   

That is incorrect.

The OP was speaking about posts that present no argumentative case but that acquire many stars because it conforms to populist themes.

You can imagine this in the case of a discussion of fiscal policy, where a post just says something along the lines of "another example of TDS" which is arguably off-topic but none the less generates a plethora of stars and flags of approval.

As far as a discussion of fiscal policy, such a post would be a total fail, wouldn't it?

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Is that your version of a mic drop? No argument has been lost, you've simply just dropped the ball and claimed a win, I guess you need to stroke your ego a little more than most would eh.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

You have no idea how many times I posted threads and posts from that Russian defector, and many others whom said the same thing.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Screw up 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 03:12 AM
link   
DNC 2020 platform has been revealed !!!!!! ... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 03:18 AM
link   

What you have just said has perfectly summed up OP. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Look its AOC -3 +0 🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You can "pretty much" "write a list" of "who" will say "what" but you "can't even remember what you wrote last month?"

Listen mate, you need to go on holiday. This ATS thing is starting to affect your overall performance.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Please explain what this has to do with the op?

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Yes, absolutely. There have been some wild "right leaning" opinions tossed around here that do come off as absolute nuts, but on the other side of the coin, many of my fellow "left leaning" posters have led the charge with ideas that have proven themselves unstable and unsustainable.

For example, The Kavanaugh confirmation hearings were a watershed moment for me because I wanted to hate the guy. I mean, he looks like a big fat cop and he has a face that reminds me of someone I used to know who was a real douche when we were younger. But under all of my own BS, I kept thinking "is there any evidence beyond "he said / she said" regarding the alleged rape incident?" But there was nothing of substance there and it made me feel icky for everyone involved.

Likewise, the Trump stuff with Russia or whatever. "Both sides" (haha) appear to move the goalposts but MY side -- the lib side -- puts them on a flatbed truck and drives them down the road to the next town before setting them back up. "Ok, maybe he won't be indicted next Tuesday, but he's still super guilty somehow and lets talk about how that makes me feel!"

Meanwhile, we've wasted almost three years trying to take down a guy whom

1) I just don't like out of the gate because I have a bias against the whole big-talking New York real estate "mafia*" thing he deliberately cultivates. (*No, I am NOT saying he is mobbed up. Don't be ridiculous. I just mean his demeanor is often a cartoon of that sort of strut)

2) Has somehow energized an economy to generate a return of 19-percent to my IRA over the past 12 months, which is bananas because that rise is equal to my average yearly salary over the past ten years.

Now look, I don't want to "support him" from a place of financial self-interest, and I don't believe his singular genius is 100-percent responsible for my relative good fortunes, but I do believe that the news has made a circus of the guy and basically led us in circles. Like this thread. Arguing over whether or not the site is pro or anti wings is nowhere near as bad as the big cable TV news programs who court inane controversy and seldom (if ever) report on the nuts and bolts of our republic or try to explain the nuances of the various issues confronting us, but it's still hard to watch. Or participate in. Anymore.

I know myself well enough to admit that I am mostly interested in artificial intelligence, bigfoot, rock n roll and "hot" women in skirts who adore my music, or whatever. I'm getting older (I turned 50 this year, OMG!) and I've pivoted from all the nonsense I listed above to more of a dad thing and I am actually really happy with that. I also know my knee-jerk reaction to media programming re: President Trump is counterproductive given personal boost I seem to have received during his administration so far and I am aware that it makes me a hypocrite at worst or "of two minds" if I am being generous.

I want to see an opposition party rise up that can articulate its own process, goals, strategies and beliefs without referencing the President over and over because I believe the later will absolutely get him elected to a second term and based on the "platform" of the Dems (they don't have one that can be put on a bumper sticker or tee shirt and that isn't going to fly) and I'm not entirely sure that would be the worst thing that ever happened.

Plus, you know, unlike a lot of smarter people here, I am at odds with the normalized dichotomy present in most who straddle the soft center of American politics. I actually think that the world is in a much better place than its ever been in before in many ways and wanting a return to a glorious yesteryear is as silly as insisting that -- across the board -- things are getting worse (they're not).

Anyway, I've said my bit. ATS is not a right wing echo chamber and the "hard right" doesn't own the monopoly on outrageous or stupid, radical nonsense by a long shot.

I don't want to kill my countrymen or anyone else over politics. I just wanna be a dad before my children both flee the nest and maybe dance a little. Maybe if we all took it down several notches (no fantasizing about glassing foreigners OR salivating over the next Trump gotcha!) we can put on a Bowie record and dance until we feel like ****ing? A guy can dream, right?

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

So when it comes to Trump, my opinion of him is about as low as it can get. But, this isn't really a website where one can have productive discussions on any of that stuff. I take the approach that he's probably going to prison when he leaves office, and that the law says he can't be indicted while President. He would have to be impeached and removed first.

Kavanaugh I thought really highlighted how politicized SCOTUS has become. I felt there were legitimate questions with him (and lets not even get into the circumstances surrounding Gorusch), but the whole thing was really just a facade for left vs right arguing. SCOTUS is not supposed to be confirmed along party lines, and other political factors shouldn't play into it either.

These things I see as more minor problems though. Politicians will do what politicians do. What bothers me is what we as individuals do. We've had several members in the past couple years who have bragged about joining groups that are now considered hate groups like some of the border groups, Proud Boys, etc... who advocate for policies that are the antithesis of freedom just because a party they now align with has suggested it, such as Barr's recent push for backdoors to all encryption in the US being mandatory, who think the solution to our problems is to go completely isolationist, and kick out others who come here to work, because they can't compete with those people in a global market, who want to buy products from America but when deciding what they will purchase, they buy from Walmart because it's cheaper.

Also, I just find it really unnerving that a website that has always been critical of the government is suddenly defending the government. Others like Alex Jones are the same way. That should be a warning sign to people.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join