It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitting the Right political buttons....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Ohhh…this isn’t going to be a popular thread, but it needs to be said.

I have noticed this for a very long time however, I have struggled to think of how to best articulate it in such a way that won’t piss people off. So, with that said the best thing to is probably just come on out and say then explain what I mean:

Political debate on ATS has reached a point where it doesn’t matter what anyone says so long as it hits the right political buttons it gets pats on the back all round in what amounts to a circle jerk of political opinion.
You can post something that is 100% untrue but if it says that Clinton touches Kids or AOC funds terrorists it will get that all-important validation and the little dopamine hit that comes with it.

That validation; that’s the really important bit because it’s human nature to seek out validation for our views we all do it. That validation might be a nice shiny star or a little flag, it might be a few more Karma points on Redit or a few people liking your Facebooks post and retweeting your tweet, the best kind though is probably when someone takes the time to write down “yeah brah, I agree…”. ATS is now a circle jerk of the politically right saying "yeah brah I agree...."

ATS is predominately a right leaning site, most active members support Trump and hold views generally in line with the political right. So, if you’re a supporter of daddy trump then it’s nice to have your views validated and any time someone challenges them well; you stand with an army of MAGA’s behind you ready to beat down anyone who dares call out daddy Trump.

It doesn’t matter what is posted, it’s like the facts no longer matter it’s the opinion and the validation of that opinion that matters. If I write a thread about Epstein’s connections to Obama, with some implications about Barry being involved in sexual abuse then I have written a “Good” thread, it gets a few pats on the back...I will get to join the circle jerk. If I write the same thread but replace the name Obama with Trump, then am in for a rough ride (Not to be too graphic but it puts me in the middle of the metaphorical circle jerk). Doesn’t matter that both stories are made up, one of them hit the right political buttons and the other one does not.

I am now almost convinced that there are members of this site who just post something because facts be dammed, it hits the right political buttons, it fits in with the general views of the membership (with a few exceptions)….because…..validation….becasue….”SnF OP”……because….

Posting some crap about “Yeah libtards got serious case of TDS so can’t take seriously…..REEEEEEEE……Clinton rapes kids”……boom you’re a ATS STAR!!!

Point out that Trump still hasn't released his promised tax-returns and your a pathetic moron with TDS (because only the mentally ill could possibly have a problem with Trump)

Pro tip, want to get at least 30 stars, be quick, get the first post on this thread, actually don’t even read this thread, why are you still reading….no if you want that validation, just say that am a “butt-hurt libtard annoyed he’s not getting stars and flags”….even though that’s not what this is about.

Because to reiterate what this is really about is how facts no longer matter, hell civility no longer matters, what matters is hitting the right political buttons.

edit on 25-7-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I do find it odd that someone that doesnt even live in the United states and is not an American citizen puts so much effort into arguing American politics.

I really dont care what your PM does.
But whatever... have fun.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I do find it odd that someone that doesnt even live in the United states and is not an American citizen puts so much effort into arguing American politics.

You know I don't think I have ever seen a Brit ask an American why they're bothering with a Brexit thread...

Where am from doesn't matter, it means nothing to the topic at hand.

+29 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You say this

Because to reiterate what this is really about is how facts no longer matter, hell civility no longer matters, what matters is hitting the right political buttons.

But you're guilty:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You say this:

it’s like the facts no longer matter it’s the opinion and the validation of that opinion that matters.

But that's coming from the guy that made this thread:

The difference between you and I is that I acknowledge my bias and you hide behind a shield of "neutrality" that is both contrived and very poorly constructed. You then have the gall to criticize the community overall for not meeting your "standards".

You're drinking too much of your own Kool-Aid.
edit on 25 7 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 25 7 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Now I know why I had the sudden sense of dejavu...

It seems when it comes to politics this ability to respectfully disagree with another’s opinion on any given issue goes right out the window. “ohhh you mean you didn’t vote for Brexit…scum” … “what’s that? You don’t quite hate trump as much as me…racist” or really any issue you want to take it seems like we all of a sudden become very high and mighty about our own opinions. The arrogance of this is astounding, how many times to you read something like “well if you’re not left/right you must be an idiot” …ehh what? So, if I don’t agree with your opinion, I must be an idiot, it couldn’t possibly be that I just hold a different opinion that’s just as well founded as your own. This happens all the time on all sides of the political divide in just about any political discussion.

It seems like we have lost the ability to respectfully disagree, we don’t say well I disagree with you on this because x,y and z. We don’t just simply acknowledge that a difference of opinion is just that a difference of opinion it’s not about right and wrong because our opinions are so subjective.

Speaking of which, that brings me on to another interesting aspect of opinions when discussing politics. How often do you see an opinion being articulated in such a way as to suggest that it’s not a fact but an opinion? Stuff along the lines of “Trump has the best/worst track record with women…” it’s an opinion not a fact. Now sure you can support an opinion with facts, you can refute or challenge the opinion of another based on facts, but you cannot pretend that your opinion is a fact.

"Opinions Are Like Buttholes" by OtherSideOfTheCoin - November 8, 2018

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I'm not saying you shouldn't pay attention to politics in foreign country's but you seem to go at it we extra enthusiasm.

You voted for brexit.
Three years ago.
It sound like you have enough problems in your own house to clean up.
Again, it's your problem so I wont get all that worked up over it.

link   
This #hole is dead. Why? One of two main reasons is that everything is highly moderated. The freedom of moderation and moderators is absurd. Like, if your OP is "small" (according to the "terms and rules"), but in the second one you elaborate and corroborate, the whole thread gets removed anyway. Nevermind that there was a discussion ongoing. # this #. No one gives a # about your discussion. Let alone the problem of the right and wrong political buttons. They don't even want to fix bugs that are 10 years old. "Political discussion" my ass. The only thing which matters is the faggotry "STAY ON THE TOPIC!!!111". Oh, and ad revenue, of course.

Overly moderated, "politically correct", not giving a # about REAL quality of content...What could possibly go wrong?
edit on 2019 by JedemDasSeine because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: projectvxn

One thread is me asking what the reaction would be if Trump lost a second term the other is me just basically saying "here's an interesting article I read"....

Unfortunate that you're not quite addressing the issue at hand but welcome to the circle-jerk.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

I love that my fans can remember what I wrote a year ago, I can't even remember what I wrote last month.

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Unfortunate that you're not quite addressing the issue at hand but welcome to the circle-jerk.

And what is that issue? That the left is getting their asses kicked on this site and you don't like it?

Suck it up.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

That depends on whether they're facts or alternative facts.

While I agree with you OP it's been like that for a couple of years now , it makes things kind of boring when you pretty much know what certain members are going to post before they post .

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

And what is that issue? That the left is getting their asses kicked on this site and you don't like it?

Suck it up.

Actually nobody is getting their asses kicked, quite often what I see on is a small handful of us left who still challenge the views of the right being shouted down with childish calls of "you have TDS"

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

One thread is me asking what the reaction would be if Trump lost a second term the other is me just basically saying "here's an interesting article I read"....

Let me quote you then since your self-awareness is severely lacking. You call for some kind of civility (read mercy) but then post gems like this:

So when the orange Turd that is Donald J "Mars is part of the Moon" Trump gets booted from office and loses his bid for reelection how are his supporters going to react.

and this:

I can't wait to spend 4 years now posting videos of butt-hurt Trump supporters

Why is it that you continue to believe yourself "above it all" when you're knee-deep in # like the rest of us?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

While I agree with you OP it's been like that for a couple of years now , it makes things kind of boring when you pretty much know what certain members are going to post before they post .

True it's got to the point where you could pretty much write a list of who will say what on this thread.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I actually agree with you on this although I see it a bit differently.
Remember 2016, there were a lot of members on both sides, almost seemed 50/50 but now most of the Hillary fans have either become quiet or skulked off.

This site isn’t right wing but most of the opinions expressed on it are definitely right leaning, the truth of that though is anywhere you can have a free discussion without fear of your comments being deleted or just straight up being banned are right leaning.
It’s the reason news articles don’t really have comment sections anymore, it’s too hard to control the left leaning narrative and give the impression it’s a majority viewpoint when you get maybe 1 in 10 comments supporting the article

I have seen many polite, reasonable and even factual comments deleted from a ton of sites by virtue of nothing more than expressing a right leaning point of view.

Are there any left leaning sites I could debate freely without being banned?
If anyone knows of any I would love to go and check them out.

I very rarely agree with you but I do appreciate your input here, you strike me as an intelligent individual.

Great thread but no S&F as you couldn’t resist getting in your sly “daddy trump” jabs, disappointed you felt the need to include that

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

What you're doing right now is hitting those right political buttons.

Making it about me rather than the issue I am trying to discuss.

Keep pushing those buttons am sure you will get all that nice validation you're after.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Dude honestly, nice post, interesting to hear it from the other side.

And me calling him daddy-Trump or saying he has a face like a used tampon after a fake tan isn't meant as an insult to trump supporters but just daddy trump....its probably just my British sense of humour.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

What you're doing right now is hitting those right political buttons.

We're not discussing politics. We're discussing your blatant hypocrisy while you preach high-minded nonsense that you don't adhere to.

Making it about me rather than the issue I am trying to discuss.

You made the issue about you when you castigated the community for not meeting a standard you cannot meet yourself.

Keep pushing those buttons am sure you will get all that nice validation you're after.

This just comes off as whining. If you're going to play some kind of victim instead of defending (or admitting to) your ridiculous position then what was the point of this post? Are you sympathy farming?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I really dont care what your PM does.
But whatever... have fun.

I’m an Aussie and I like to give my 2c worth.
Truth is American politics is Global politics, everything that happens in America has global consequences.
Any wars you guys start are going to result in Aussie and most likely British casualties is a great example.

Most of our members might be Yanks but this isn’t an American site in my opinion.
Aussies, Poms, Kiwis and everyone else’s opinion is just as valid as anyone else

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I disagree with the entire thread. I remember in the primaries back in 2015, when we had a thread on who had more support on ATS and Bernie beat out Trump. So unless Bernie was a right-winger, which we all know he is about as far away as you can get from that, you are incorrect.

It's my opinion, that what happened is the Democrats in office haven't given the left anything to rally around other than anti-Trump nonsense. Eventually, it gets old and pushes people away, which is exactly what happened from my perspective. Just look around at all the posters that were left-leaning until Trump came around. I see numerous posters on ATS alone that have switched sides, including myself.

To top that off, Trump is actually accomplishing his promises to America and the ones he hasn't gotten done he hasn't given up on either or had to compromise a little. Ultimately though, he has been the most loyal of all the presidents of my entire life when it comes to their campaign promises.

Lastly, who the hell said this is a right-wing only site. Anyone from anywhere in the world with access to the internet can come in here and comment on whatever topic they want. So if the left is so popular as you guys try to push, then where the hell are these people? I feel you're just butthurt the left has discredited itself to the point of embarrassment.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join