It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss Michigan won't wear a hijab lost her crown

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: operation mindcrime

So "being of good character" means she has to try on a hijab and pretend to like it?

I'm sorry, but no. That would be like saying in order to be of good character one must live like the Amish or dress like them for a few days.

I actually have no idea how the MWA sees "being of good character" but I assume that as a model and a representative of their brand you are expected to behave in a dignified manner.

Maybe it is expected that you pretend to like things you object to or at the very least not voice your opinion about if it could damage the brand, it's probably in whatever contract they sign and I do not see how this has anything to do with her freedom of speech.

Peace
edit on 25-7-2019 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   

So FORCING a muslim woman to wear a nuns habit would be ‘dignified’?
Or how about FORCING a muslim woman to wear a cross, dignified?

Wearing a hijab is most definitely not ‘dignified’, it’s just ‘wearing a hijab’. The international symbol of women’s oppression.

I think she was being a positive face of the brand by refusing to don that.
edit on 25 7 2019 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak

So FORCING a muslim woman to wear a nuns habit would be ‘dignified’?
Or how about FORCING a muslim woman to wear a cross, dignified?

No the act of forcing is hardly compatible with the term dignity...but we weren't talking about that.

Wearing a hijab is most definitely not ‘dignified’, it’s just ‘wearing a hijab’.

Maybe your comprehension is a little off but the "dignified" part of my post was in relation to former miss's behaviour.

The international symbol of women’s oppression.

As a symbol it is used to raise awareness but more importantly is a piece of clothing a lot of women enjoy wearing. Fighting the oppression is fine. Fighting a piece of clothing is ridiculous.

I think she was being a positive face of the brand by refusing to don that.

And I think that as a representative your own opinion is inferior to the opinion of the company or association you are representing.

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Double post

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Try on a hijab day?? That smacks of sly infiltration in a non Muslim country. Now about if it's the womans choice. Let's have a worldwide not wear an Hijab day and you'll soon see how many Muslim countries will allow that to happen. Womens choice, ppffftt.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I can smell the fear...

Next they'll introduce sharia law and you will be oblicated by law to pray to Mekka 5 times a day. The end of freedom is here and everything that even smells like Islam terrorist jihad raghead people should be fought with extreme prejudice.

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
NO! I don't like sly methods by anyone but especially Islam. Slowly, slowly cachee monkey. Yes I'm scared, for my three grand daughters, what's coming to them being supported by my own government. It aint a conspiracy, it's facts.. Just because you want to deny it's happening that's your choice.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Maybe you should consider moving to North-Korea, I hear they are pretty clear on how to dress and act. No hijab days ever...

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
What if I sat up a black face booth next to the hijab booth? Kinda the same thing, trying on something you’re not?

How about a cowboy hat and boot booth, with a Maga pearl snap shirt Lol? Don cha wanna try it, ya racist yankees?

Try on a yarmulke booth.
Love to see which way the #e fies over that.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Pray tell just why should I move from my country. Or why shouldn't I fight for my ethics and life values against this, this religion that's slowly taking over my country.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Well because you are scared, for your three grand daughters, what's coming to them being supported by your own government.

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

February 1st, 2013,  marked the first annual World Hijab Day (WHD) in recognition of millions of Muslim women who choose to wear the hijab and live a life of modesty.

The brainchild of this movement is a New York resident, Nazma Khan, who came up with the idea as a means to foster religious tolerance and understanding by inviting women (non-Hijabi Muslims/non-Muslims) to experience the hijab for one day.

By opening up new pathways to understanding, Nazma hopes to counteract some of the controversies surrounding why Muslim women choose to wear the hijab.

Nazma knows exactly what she’s talking about. The social activist came to this country from Bangladesh at the tender age of eleven where she found herself being the only hijabi in middle school. She remembers her experience as a difficult one.

“Growing up in the Bronx, in NYC, I experienced a great deal of discrimination due to my hijab, ‘she reflects. ‘In middle school, I was ‘Batman’ or ‘ninja’. When I entered University after 9/11, I was called Osama bin laden or terrorist. It was awful. I figured the only way to end discrimination is if we ask our fellow sisters to experience hijab themselves.”

It’s estimated that people in 190 countries take part in World Hijab Day every year. WHD

FEAR!!!!!

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Donning one is an act of submission to the religion, and the religion itself is about submission.

I am sorry this girl was bullied for being different, but guess what? Lots of kids are bullied for being different. My son wears an earpiece to help him hear clearly. Guess what? He got bullied this past year for ... you guessed it, being different. Shall we have an International Auditory Processing Disorder Earpiece Day so everyone can try wearing one and experience being different too?

Oh, I think we should also have an International Cross Day so everyone can experience wearing a cross, and we follow that with International Bindi Day, then International Yarmulka Day, and International Padaung Neck Rings Day ...
edit on 25-7-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If your son would come up with an International Auditory Processing Disorder Earpiece Day would you expect people to be tolerant of this?

I would expect it.

I might not care for it but I sure as hell would respect it.

And that's what this is about...tolerance.

But fear tells us (to quote the Verve) if we tolerate this then our children will be next.

Utter nonsense..

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Tolerance does not mean acceptance though. She shouldn't have to wear it to show tolerance anymore than anyone should have to wear an earpiece to show tolerance.

When you are talking about something religiously charged, it gets dicey. Why should people who do not share your religion be forced to wear something that it religious in order to demonstrate tolerance. Would non-Christians wear crosses? Would a Muslim wear a cross? Somehow, I doubt it, and I further doubt anyone would get away with such a thing. So why would we allow Muslims to do it?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As a free citzen...no of course not. You have every right to refuse and even voice your opinion but....

As a representative your obligations and duties are a little different. The cutting of ribbons and kissing of babies is done to present a certain image...nobody is saying you should actually care about it as long as you maintain the image the company or organisation would like you to uphold.

She has every right to write negatively about a hijab stand on campus but I guess it is unfitting for a beauty queen to take this stance and she at the very least was probably expected to remain neutral on the subject.

She didn't and that cost her her title....big whoop.

As I said before...a non-issue that has turned into a 4 page thread on headscarfs and the terrors of Islam.

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   

If she cannot express opinions in her private life, then it seems that the company owns her.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: JAGStorm

Does she live in the anti-America terrorist Rashida Tlaib's district?

ooooh....good one.....got to use anti-american, and terrorist, to describe a whole congressional district of hundreds of thousands of people.....you must so proud of yourself

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
Did you actually read her tweets?

That girl is nuts.

She deserves to have her title stripped. I love how she is acting like what she said meant something else after the fact.

This was her tweet on the hijab situation:

"There is a 'try a hijab on' booth at my college campus. So you're telling me that it's now just a fashion accessory and not a religious thing? Or are you just trying to get women used to being oppressed under Islam?"

She took a "try on a hijab" booth on her college campus as an attempt to "get women used to being opressed under Islam"

The "try on a hijab" booth was there for a cultural outreach program. There were other booths with other cultures. It's the same as there being a German booth with them.saying "try our weinerscnitzel" Islam in itself isn't bad, Sharia law is bad. The fact that she isn't wise enough to differentiate the two.should be cause for removal of her title in itself...

Her other tweet was even more crazy

"Did you know that the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks?" the second tweet said. "Fix problems within your own community first before blaming others."

Once again.. psycho. She's claiming "oh I was just tweeting statistics"when clearly.by the tone of that tweet you can see what she was getting at.

Girl has issues and is not a role model.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong or crazy with either of these tweets. WTF are you talking about? She's totally right.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If she cannot express opinions in her private life, then it seems that the company owns her.

Well as an example Subway used to have this guy Jared Fogle as a brand representative. He was very good at it but in his private life he seemed to have a unhealty interest in children....

Granted, he was paid for his job as a representative and our beauty queen won her title but with the title comes the task of representing the brand and taking into account that your private life can be of influence to the brand you are representing.

It was her free choice to voice an opinion on a subject that could negatively influence the brand she represented. If voicing your opinion is of greater value than don't enter the contest....right?

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join