It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if ... we were truly alone in the universe?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Speaking hypothetically, what would be the implications if we went out into the universe using some yet to be invented faster than light technology and found that we we alone?

That the universe was utterly and totally devoid of any life other life, even at the microbial level. Absolutely nothing. The entire universe was just barren rocks orbiting balls of burning gas. It never had life and could never have life. We could terraform worlds and bring life to them to expand ourselves throughout the universe, but we'd never meet anything that we didn't bring with us or create ourselves.

Oh, and there are no other universes or dimensions.

All UFOs were just hoaxes or misidentifications, anything that looked like it might be life was a mistake. the whole nine yards

How would this effect us as a society. Would it make us feel special and unique, or would he sheer emptyness of the universe cause us lose hope.

How would this effect science and religion?

Would we ever believe that the universe was empty, or would we go on looking forever even after science proved once and for all we were all that the could ever be?

Would we think that the universe was ours. That it had been created just for us, or would we think that we must be a fluke. Some kind of cosmic joke?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Interesting scenario.

I was just wondering the other day if their were any sci fi books that have this premise?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

It would be a supremely scary situation.

How would this effect us as a society. Would it make us feel special and unique, or would he sheer emptyness of the universe cause us lose hope.

Both. Some would feel like we are precious and need to do everything to preserve ourselves

How would this effect science and religion?

I suspect nothing at all would change on these fronts. Science would use it as proof we are just a fuke, an astronomical accident. Religion will use it as proof we were created, and the universe is for our taking.

Would we ever believe that the universe was empty, or would we go on looking forever even after science proved once and for all we were all that the could ever be?

I suspect we would never believe it and would keep searching forever.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   

It go as far as saying that scenario is impossible.

I think it's greatly unlikely we are all alone in totality.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Would we think that the universe was ours. That it had been created just for us, or would we think that we must be a fluke. Some kind of cosmic joke?

I would think it seems a bit of a waste to create something so large for the entertainment of just one small species.

Probability says we are not alone in this Galaxy yet alone the Universe with its billions of galaxies.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

That the universe was utterly and totally devoid of any life other life, even at the microbial level. Absolutely nothing. The entire universe was just barren rocks orbiting balls of burning gas.

Since the universe is big (unless we have that wrong as well) that maybe we'll never be able to explore it in its entirety. Even if everything you say might be the case in what we do get to explore (with FTL travel) i think it would be likely that some hope would be retained by humanity (or whatever we have become by then!) for the regions that we haven't gotten to explore.

Our history, as we know it, is littered with explorers expanding our boundaries and understanding, no matter how crazy the idea seemed or how difficult the journey is. I think that would continue for as long as we exist...

...but i could think of another possibility too. IF (big if) we don't find anything at all (as you list) we might well destroy ourselves before we ever got an opportunity to find out for sure.

However, i believe it is out there (at the very least microbial life) and it's just a matter of desire and time for us to find it.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Frankly I think it's best for the universe if we are alone. The last thing it needs is us going to new worlds and freedoming up their oil when we get there. This way, if we are alone, no space aliens need get killed.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
What a waste of space.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You don't know how large the cosmos is, do you?

To say it is vast is a gigantic understatement.

Your question is typical of individuals who view the "universe" through the lense of anthropocentric mindsets.

If you actually had knowledge of the cosmos, astronomy and cosmology etc, you would know that it is very, very unlikely human beings are the only sentient intelligent life (and/or that planet Earth is the only "habitable" body to exist).

EDIT: But your question is hypothetical anyway and "FTL" travel is highly, highly unlikely...

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Be fair, it was a hypothetical question, not a statement.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII
You don't know how large the cosmos is, do you?

To say it is vast is a gigantic understatement.

Your question is typical of individuals who view the "universe" through the lense of anthropocentric mindsets.

If you actually had knowledge of the cosmos, astronomy and cosmology etc, you would know that it is very, very unlikely human beings are the only sentient intelligent life (and/or that planet Earth is the only "habitable" body to exist).

EDIT: But your question is hypothetical anyway and "FTL" travel is highly, highly unlikely...

Why do people do this? The OP is asking a hypothetical situation. Just answer the question. It obviously would turn your entire world upside down because even in your own statement you say "very very unlikely human beings are the only sentient intelligent life" yes you don't really mean that do you? what you mean to say and believe is that it is 'impossible"? if it IS very very unlikely that means it is STILL somewhat likely. We haven't found life yet, and many people view it as only a matter of time, but that doesn't make it fact. We simply don't know, so the hypothetical is a valid one.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

All logic and available evidence suggests otherwise...actually 100℅ assurance...we can't be alone.

Quite illogical, Captain!

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

The question was "What if"?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

And "what-if" you weren't human, but a tree?! Or a truck tire? A piece of plastic? But, you aren't....

"What-if's" can be fun...but when logic and proportions negate this un-realistic conclusion and...it borders on the ridiculous end of speculation...well...

You may as well "what-if" you're really the O.Carpy? Or just a drill bit? Or a slug?

You see..you are real..and in these cases...logic out ways the question itself.

My point....thnx

edit on 24-7-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

And "what-if" you weren't human, but a tree?!

"What-if's" can be fun...but when logic and proportions negate this un-realistic conclusion and...it borders on the ridiculous end of speculation...well..

Er...this is ATS?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

Douglas adams
edit on 7 24 2019 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Yes it is. Logically ATS

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Of the 150 or so solutions to the Fermi paradox I find this one the most unlikely. That said, I believe the reactions would vary between a loss of hope and the belief that we are divinely created for the purpose of filling the universe with our kind. New Heaven's and new Earths.

That said, there are parts of the universe we could never reach, even at the speed of light because they are receding from us at an ever accelerating rate (inflation of spacetime itself grows the space between us and distant parts of the universe at a rate much faster than light can travel). A lot of us would simply shrug and say that all the other life is just over the cosmological event horizon / rainbow and / or lost to Oz.

Still, life took hold on this rock almost as soon as it was formed, which indicates to me anyway, that simple life is likely commonplace and possibly more evolved forms as well (think flora, fauna, megafauna).

Our local area of the universe (our sun and its planets) seems so fine-tuned for life that it is hard to imagine a universe without that system repeating itself an infinite number of times.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
For all intents and purposes, we are alone in the universe because to date, we have not found any lifeforms that we can identify with. I think a better question is how we will react when we definitively find life as we know it in the universe.

We already know what it is to be alone in the universe - boring comes to mind!

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

You have no proof there is any other life in the universe, if you did, you'd be correct on your soapbox. As it stands currently on July 24, 2019, Humanity has not yet discovered life in the Universe, so the "WHAT IF" is perfectly logical.

I suppose in the scenario, you would surely panic and be unable to comprehend the reality that we are alone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join