It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our economy stinks

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

Yes
Because an average citizen is a GREAT example of a governments economic situation?
Pfffftttt
F canada
F australia

Is the us central bank repeating its mistake?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Try starting your own business and present a quality service/product and I'm sure your economy won't suck.

I'm now running 2 businesses and they are both growing just fine. The main problem is finding qualified able bodied workers who aren't on drugs or living on the dole.
edit on 7/24/2019 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

dfnj2015 chose an article that talks about an economy with aging citizens.
Here in he US we have many of those.
Many of them currently still have good credit, but that is because they had retirement plans based on equities with reinvested dividends that slowly gained value over 20 years and houses that appreciated in value over the same long period.
The problem with equities is that they are cyclical and you have to sell them at the market tops or risk reducing your yield by 20 to 50%. As you get older you can't wait 10 to 50 years for the stock market to come back.

The current Federal reserve is responsible to the banks for their interests.

Growth in net interest income at the bank, pegged at 3% for 2019 in April, may now be closer to 1%, Bank of America CFO Paul Donofrio tells analysts.

That is if the US federal reserve "prints a whole lot more money" this year with inflation starting to show up.
That would also hurt the aging members of society that are moving to fixed income products like bonds.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Sure, edumakcated, houses are bigger now. In the 50’s a home cost $10k, twice the average salary. But now a 1200 sq ft home cost about $130k, almost 3x the median salary, and comes with a lot more utilities and bills than it did then. Most people I know don’t have a 3k sq ft home, more like 2-2.5k and costs about 200-250k. Which is about 5x the average salary. Now let’s look at the 80’s when bigger homes started to be built. They were generally bigger than now, my last neighborhood built in the 80s were all about 2500-3800sq ft, and they cost about 30k in 1980, about 2x the average wages per year. And the 70s/80s were our heyday. Most of the newer homes i saw when shopping were smaller, with smaller bedrooms, than that house. I personally am in 5600 ft, but I make about twice the median income and live in a more rural area. Almost everyone I know is in about 2-2.5k homes.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
Try starting your own business and present a quality service/product and I'm sure your economy won't suck.

I'm now running 2 businesses and they are both growing just fine. The main problem is finding qualified able bodied workers who aren't on drugs or living on the dole.

Again, economics 101. It takes principal to start a business.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: KnoxMSP

Why brag about a work ethic?
Doesn't everyone have one?

As for two parents working, I'm the only one who works, my wife home-schools and takes care of everything so I can concentrate on work.

We adjust our lifestyle for one salary.

Again, what is your point? Do you have anything to contribute, or just tell people to just make due with the #ty hand the elites handed out.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: KnoxMSP

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

I thought they meant gap between income and expense?

Actually meant more like;

In the 1950s, a typical CEO made 20 times the salary of his or her average worker. Last year, CEO pay at an S&P 500 Index firm soared to an average of 361 times more than the average rank-and-file worker, or pay of $13,940,000 a year, according to an AFL-CIO's Executive Paywatch news release today. May 22, 2018

But that goes hand in hand. The average american has less purchasing power with their wages, compared to almost anytime in history, and COL is higher than ever.

We live in the Corporatocracy of America now. Big business makes the rules, and tells you the numbers, and if you don't like it, there's the door, we will find someone to fill your shoes, or ship your job to (insert even lower avg wage country here).

The typical CEO today is running a much larger global enterprise than companies in the 50s.... CEO compensation is also more equity based with stock options. Few CEOs make $14 million in salary. CEO comp can vary wildly from year to year based on stock options. Most make salaries of $1 - $3 million. Stock does well an they get a huge windfall in a year.

So you dont call it a salary, call it total earnings from employment. You are arguing semantics.

The gross overpayment of these people is not justified by the size of the companies. By in large, when the companies grow like this, they also add jobs/titles to manage the increase in size. So yes, a pay increase is expected, but not the exorbitant packages they get today.

I come from corporate. I sold 55mil/yr in product, ran the state of TN by myself, for almost a decade. I know I was not paid my fair share (even 1% commish would be 550k), while my CFO and CEO made bank, for partying, and only working when absolutely neccessary.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I looked up "wage gap" and it expressed the gap between men and women.

Look around, almost nobody goes in search of a small house from the 50's. They always top out at the biggest they can afford.

What does your search for wage gap have to do with anything? Respond to my clarification.

Where are your statistics, and empirical data to back up your "look around" claim?

There is this search tool called Google.... look up size of average houses over time. Houses nowadays are twice as large as they were in the 40s and 50s. People used to raise families in 1000-1500 square foot homes with 1 bath. Now everyone wants 3,000 square feet with 2 & 3 car garages. 3 baths. Etc...

You are talking about boomers' houses, dude. They were the one to make this change, and flood the market with these over priced, over sized houses. Most of the housing market right now is boomers. My wife is in real estate, I see it every day.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

As for two parents working, I'm the only one who works, my wife home-schools and takes care of everything so I can concentrate on work.

Again, what is your point? Do you have anything to contribute, or just tell people to just make due with the #ty hand the elites handed out.

Again, too many people, like yourself, blame "the elites" for your financial problems.

Perhaps you should be looking at a mirror instead.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Again, too many people, like yourself, blame "the elites" for your financial problems.

Perhaps you should be looking at a mirror instead.

If you cannot see how these huge corporations, and tax payer funded corporate welfare effects us all, I truly feel bad for you. Are you this short sighted in all facets of your life? You people are making me ashamed to call myself a conservative right winger right now. To just blindly accept what our Govt has done to you is irresponsible, and close minded. Deny ignorance, indeed, smdh

edit on 24-7-2019 by KnoxMSP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

This is where you fail, again.

I'm not giving "the elite" a pass on anything.

But I take responsibility for my family's' financial health.

Regardless of what the economy is doing, I intend to succeed. I won't sit and cry and place all the blame on "the elites".

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Yeah, money most people could have if they wouldn't waste it, or could use their brain power for more than fakebook to try and earn a dollar.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

This is where you fail, again.

I'm not giving "the elite" a pass on anything.

But I take responsibility for my family's' financial health.

Regardless of what the economy is doing, I intend to succeed. I won't sit and cry and place all the blame on "the elites".

The myth that we create our reality. Magical thinking there, just like religion. A person in Afghanistan who watches his family and bride get bombed to death in front of his eyes has no ability to protect and provide for them in front of those outside forces. Here, we won’t necessarily get bombed, but we are subject to equally arbitrary outside forces, be they market manipulation, govt/corporate corruption, or a car slamming into us out of nowhere. But I understand the need to maintain an illusion of control and empowerment. It’s just counterproductive when it keeps you from recognizing reality and addressing the real issues. And, apparently, leads to a lack of empathy or understanding of others who are directly effected by the factors you refuse to admit exist.

To not be able on a basic level to recognize that over the last 30 years the ownership class has arbitrarily changed the division of the pie between themselves and workers is consciously chosen denial. CEOs may do more work, but so do the workers, as measured by drastic increases of worker productivity, and yet management and ceo salaries skyrocket far faster than production gains while workers wages lag far behind it. This denial is an inability to compare productivity and wage trends and draw a rational conclusion.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Yeah, money most people could have if they wouldn't waste it, or could use their brain power for more than fakebook to try and earn a dollar.

Thats BS, you dont know everyone's situation, or how hard they work or anything. A lot of assumptions from you. My wife and I scrape by, and not from a lack of education, both have bachelors, and not from a lack of effort, we both work over 40hrs.

Look at current COLI for a family of 4, and maybe you can understand how there would be little left for investment principal into a business. My childcare and healthcare hills alone are more than the average american's total COL 20-30yrs ago.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I looked up "wage gap" and it expressed the gap between men and women.

Look around, almost nobody goes in search of a small house from the 50's. They always top out at the biggest they can afford.

What does your search for wage gap have to do with anything? Respond to my clarification.

Where are your statistics, and empirical data to back up your "look around" claim?

You said "wage gap", I looked up "wage gap" to see what it was defined as, and according to the definition I was given, it was the gap between men and women.

I'm not sure how to provide statistics on looking around, lol. Look around. Maybe it's your area, maybe it's just mine.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Increase your credit score and wait a year. Sign up for Credit Karma, it gives a fairly accurate score you can keep track of.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

In the 1950s, a typical CEO made 20 times the salary of his or her average worker. Last year, CEO pay at an S&P 500 Index firm soared to an average of 361 times more than the average rank-and-file worker, or pay of $13,940,000 a year, according to an AFL-CIO's Executive Paywatch news release today. May 22, 2018

But that goes hand in hand. The average american has less purchasing power with their wages, compared to almost anytime in history, and COL is higher than ever.

We live in the Corporatocracy of America now. Big business makes the rules, and tells you the numbers, and if you don't like it, there's the door, we will find someone to fill your shoes, or ship your job to (insert even lower avg wage country here).

The typical CEO today is running a much larger global enterprise than companies in the 50s.... CEO compensation is also more equity based with stock options. Few CEOs make $14 million in salary. CEO comp can vary wildly from year to year based on stock options. Most make salaries of $1 - $3 million. Stock does well an they get a huge windfall in a year.

So you dont call it a salary, call it total earnings from employment. You are arguing semantics.

The gross overpayment of these people is not justified by the size of the companies. By in large, when the companies grow like this, they also add jobs/titles to manage the increase in size. So yes, a pay increase is expected, but not the exorbitant packages they get today.

I come from corporate. I sold 55mil/yr in product, ran the state of TN by myself, for almost a decade. I know I was not paid my fair share (even 1% commish would be 550k), while my CFO and CEO made bank, for partying, and only working when absolutely neccessary.

Don't try to move the goal post.

Secondly, actors and athletes make exponentially more than they used too as well for the same reason as CEOs. They are responsible for much larger dollar amounts. Endorsements, etc.

There are only 500 Fortune 500 CEOs. You are literally talking about the highest paid, most rare executives in the world. It is like complaining that all actors make too much based on what Will Smith gets per movie or that Lebron James is representative of every basketball player while totally ignoring the guys who ride the bench making league minimum. Then in the same breath complaining that Lebron makes more than the guy slinging hot dogs in the stand...

CxO jobs of a major corporation are rare. These guys literally give their lives to the company for decades often before they make it to that level. They run corporations making tens of billions a year in revenues. Are responsible for the employment of tens and hundreds of thousands of employees. They can be out of a job at any time.

Yes, some are over paid, but I can say that about any profession. CEO salaries are driven by competition and boards of directors/shareholders. If you don't like what a CEO makes, buy some shares in the company and vote against the boards authorizing their compensation packages.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Yes, some are over paid, but I can say that about any profession. CEO salaries are driven by competition and boards of directors/shareholders. If you don't like what a CEO makes, buy some shares in the company and vote against the boards authorizing their compensation packages.

Yea, totally feasible. When these companies have devalued our dollar so far, kinda hard to come up with investment principal.

These corps are making record high profit margins, have record high compensation packages, and then pay record low wages, and employee benefits. What world are you living in?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Yea, totally feasible. When these companies have devalued our dollar so far, kinda hard to come up with investment principal.

These corps are making record high profit margins, have record high compensation packages, and then pay record low wages, and employee benefits. What world are you living in?

I live in the real world with facts and logic; not this fantasy Utopian pipe dream you seem to reside in.

Profit margins are relatively thin at most businesses. Amazon is doing like $100 billion in sales... they only make about 3 to 5 cents on a dollar in profit. In other words, for every dollar they bring in only 3 cents is actual profit. That could be wiped out with any small misstep.

Corporate profit is reinvested back into the business to fund capital projects and other investments. Pays shareholder dividends, etc.

Simpletons like you just think the board just sits around having orgies in $100 bills...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join