It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our economy stinks

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

Pay your bills?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421 Our system is not a meritocracy, not for the vast majority at work, and not in society as a whole.

This boils it down pretty succinctly. If people were paid fairly for their contributions to these huge corporations (in your field, the new trend of huge hospitals swallowing smallers ones, and dictating wages, and healthcare pricing), things would be different. They have too much power, and as much as I am for small govt' and free market capitalism, we need more oversight, and regulation to bring rhe average workers wages up, and quit paying these executives these ridiculous amounts of money.
edit on 23-7-2019 by KnoxMSP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Best place to live, my ass.

I don't remember that being one of the best places to live was that listed? Ah I see it was in the middl-ish.

Funny thing a friend of my Son in chicago said the homeless druggies were everywhere thick, then they came to visit him in Co Springs and they said it was even worse there they could not even find a place to get away from them in parks, parking garages begging everywhere.. So I guess it is getting inescapable.

edit on 23-7-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Economies rise, and economies fall.

Blaming your misfortune on "the economy" is abdicating responsibility for your own choices and actions.

"Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
-John Wayne

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

That's median household income, not average salary.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Economies rise, and economies fall.

Blaming your misfortune on "the economy" is abdicating responsibility for your own choices and actions.

"Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
-John Wayne

When the economy is dictated by huge corporations, and govt corporate handouts, it is not "blaming the economy." When the average American's dollar doesnt let them buy their "fair play" in the market, because of these huge corporations having the clout to push you out financially, it creates an unequal playing field. It takes capital to create income. This is covered in economics 101.

Again, anecdotal conjecture doesnt help the discussion. Provide an accurate measure of the healthy economical situation of the average American, if that is your position. By what measure are you judging?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: KnoxMSP

I’m a man, a husband, a father.

I provide for my family regardless of what DC does.

I don’t tell my kids they don’t get dinner because DC has bad Orangeman.

I work and provide regardless.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Here is the real deal. Chinese Government plans for future.
American gov plans for future retirement money.

Makes sense?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnoxMSP

It is for a select few. Mostly boomers though, as they had it much easier than genx or millenials.

Wage gap is higher than ever, home purchases are a higher portion of our income than ever before, and food, water, and electricity is a higher percentage of our income than my parents or their parents had at my age.

This is the problem, baby boomers have no empathy because they think that millennials have it as easy as them, which is not true. While baby boomers call millennials entitled, Millenials are working harder than they ever did for less.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

It is for a select few. Mostly boomers though, as they had it much easier than genx or millenials.

Wage gap is higher than ever, home purchases are a higher portion of our income than ever before, and food, water, and electricity is a higher percentage of our income than my parents or their parents had at my age.

This is the problem, baby boomers have no empathy because they think that millennials have it as easy as them, which is not true. While baby boomers call millennials entitled, Millenials are working harder than they ever did for less.

That is because the Mob are/were taking over all the businesses. Anyone who hoards money and think the city is theirs needs to be shot. There is no saving the US unless this sort of thing starts happening. Also why bother jailing the people proven to do serious crime by using money as advantage? They should've been executed first place. Just cause your rich doesn't mean you get to do anything you want. This isn't a video game. Amount of money put into prison, think of the amount of money could be used for legit business practice and the building of civilization.

Example
edit on 23-7-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

What shall we do to fix it?

Move to China would be the obvious answer

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I’m a man, a husband, a father.

I provide for my family regardless of what DC does.

I don’t tell my kids they don’t get dinner because DC has bad Orangeman.

I work and provide regardless.

As am I, and do I. On my second career. BS degree (used to be in tobacco distribution), but now working for myself as a barber. Doesn't take away the fact that we are being screwed, and have a right to be pissed, and blame our representatives in the govt for the problem.

Big question is, do you have a point? Or did you just come to brag about your work ethic, when we are all working our butts off over 40 hours a week, with both parents working, supporting a family of 5?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Why brag about a work ethic?
Doesn't everyone have one?

As for two parents working, I'm the only one who works, my wife home-schools and takes care of everything so I can concentrate on work.

We adjust our lifestyle for one salary.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

My FICO® Score 8 based on TransUnion® data: is 812, thats down from 819.

On August 5, 2011 Standard & Poor's (S&P) reduced the US credit rating from AAA (outstanding) to AA+ (excellent).

edit on 23-7-2019 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

co springs is a # hole

most ghetto ass area of CO
edit on 23-7-2019 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

You asked.
Sorry you didn't like the answer.
Perhaps try a credit union instead of a giant corporate entity?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Its the credit utilization that brought down my score.
Wonder if the same thing might happen with the US?
We already have a lower national credit score than Canada and Australia.

Back in 2005 through 2007 the US central bank loaned money to banks and the banks loaned it out for sub prime mortgages which turned into worthless junk bonds..

The Federal Reserve didn't step in and cut rates again till the Dow Jones stock average fell from over 14,000 in 2007 until December 2008 when the Dow reached 8,000.

We don't need a repeat of that.

edit on 23-7-2019 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: SeaWorthy

The reason you find that gap is due to women like myself who put our careers on hold in order to be mothers. We step out of the full-time workforce and thus stop advancing up the ladder, so our male contemporaries who don't do that end up making more at higher paid positions. So if you go back after a few years, they've advanced because more of us have dropped out. That creates the so-called gap.

Measure a woman and a man in the same position, and they make the same money.

Yup, there is no pay gap.

It is more progressive half ass statistical analyses. Men typically choose higher paying careers than women. For example, STEM fields pay a lot. 75% of STEM majors are men. The lowest paying college majors are teaching, sociology, etc. However, something like 75% of those student are women.

As you mentioned, even in like careers... women usually take time out for children and thus it lowers their overall earning.

Regardless, the simple question none of these wage gap loonies can answer is "If corporations are so greedy, how do men even have jobs if they can just hire women to do the same job for less?" If women truly made less than men for doing the same job, then no business would ever hire men.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

I thought they meant gap between income and expense?

Actually meant more like;

In the 1950s, a typical CEO made 20 times the salary of his or her average worker. Last year, CEO pay at an S&P 500 Index firm soared to an average of 361 times more than the average rank-and-file worker, or pay of $13,940,000 a year, according to an AFL-CIO's Executive Paywatch news release today. May 22, 2018

But that goes hand in hand. The average american has less purchasing power with their wages, compared to almost anytime in history, and COL is higher than ever.

We live in the Corporatocracy of America now. Big business makes the rules, and tells you the numbers, and if you don't like it, there's the door, we will find someone to fill your shoes, or ship your job to (insert even lower avg wage country here).

The typical CEO today is running a much larger global enterprise than companies in the 50s.... CEO compensation is also more equity based with stock options. Few CEOs make $14 million in salary. CEO comp can vary wildly from year to year based on stock options. Most make salaries of $1 - $3 million. Stock does well an they get a huge windfall in a year.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I looked up "wage gap" and it expressed the gap between men and women.

Look around, almost nobody goes in search of a small house from the 50's. They always top out at the biggest they can afford.

What does your search for wage gap have to do with anything? Respond to my clarification.

Where are your statistics, and empirical data to back up your "look around" claim?

There is this search tool called Google.... look up size of average houses over time. Houses nowadays are twice as large as they were in the 40s and 50s. People used to raise families in 1000-1500 square foot homes with 1 bath. Now everyone wants 3,000 square feet with 2 & 3 car garages. 3 baths. Etc...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join