It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our economy stinks

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Space ...

Much of our current technology came from the space race.

Push out again, and what new tricks will we have to make up in order to do it?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: KnoxMSP

Oh ok, so when the market crashes, what happens to the economy?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: butcherguy

Mostly boomers though, as they had it much easier than genx or millenials.

I remember the economy in the 1970's.
I think some genXers and millenials need to experience some of those 'easy times'.

I was born in 1979, I've listened to my parents tell stories about living with next to nothing for most of the 70's. Things got better in the 80's and my dad ended up being very successful, but they struggled bad in the 70's.

The 70's were tough, but the 70's low point is still better than where we are now, according to COLI and dollar index. I know it wasnt all sunshine and rainbows, but the boomers inherited a strong economy, got into politics, blew it all, then complain about us genx'ers and the millenials.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I looked up "wage gap" and it expressed the gap between men and women.

Look around, almost nobody goes in search of a small house from the 50's. They always top out at the biggest they can afford.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Oh ok, so when the market crashes, what happens to the economy?

It goes down, because we have allowed these corporations to gain and hold too much power. Again, do you know what the DOW represents?

I dont claim to have the solution on our economy, but you need to better argue your point. If you think the DOW is an indicator of the economic health of the average american please explain how.

This is asinine though. You realize you answered a question with a question, and failed to elaborate on your correlation, right?
edit on 23-7-2019 by KnoxMSP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I looked up "wage gap" and it expressed the gap between men and women.

Look around, almost nobody goes in search of a small house from the 50's. They always top out at the biggest they can afford.

What does your search for wage gap have to do with anything? Respond to my clarification.

Where are your statistics, and empirical data to back up your "look around" claim?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Space ... Much of our current technology came from the space race.
Push out again, and what new tricks will we have to make up in order to do it?

Yeah, but even the stuff we use to go to space was basically invented by the Chinese thousands of years ago. The rockets are just simple chemical push fireworks. The computers are abacuses. Where are the transdimensional energy portals? Where are the ESP phones? Where are the living ships? We need stuff like that to open up new frontiers on other planets. As it is now, we got pop bottle rockets that (maybe) can take people to the Moon or Mars to -- whatever -- it sure ain't mining for gold.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   

But it is the next step. For one thing, in order to sustain long-term viability in any kind of living situation out there, someone will have to figure out how to get beyond fossil fuels. Or, alternately, someone will have to figure out how to get out to planets and moons with hydrocarbon compounds, mine those, and synthesize what we need from them.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But it is the next step. For one thing, in order to sustain long-term viability in any kind of living situation out there, someone will have to figure out how to get beyond fossil fuels. Or, alternately, someone will have to figure out how to get out to planets and moons with hydrocarbon compounds, mine those, and synthesize what we need from them.

It's just not the same as being able to sail or ride a horse to a new land. Something a strong-minded individual could do. I think we should concentrate on the oceans. But it sure would be nice even then to have a strong force field available to mitigate some of the pressure.

Either way, we need to find fresh horizons, and not keep recycling our own # over and over.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

i cannot thank you both enough for your level-headed and educated responses.... truly a joy to read.

this website has been completely overrun by assholes running their mouths like their hair is on fire.

please continue this trend. your contributions are worthwhile.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

No, it's not, but it's necessary all the same. If nothing else, it means some of us can get away from the rest of us in some capacity.

People who would go and do are always fundamentally different than those who won't and can't believe anyone would try. Trying to keep the two groups together for too long always results in tragedy.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I didn't give any advice.

But since you bring it up, you really need to see what comprises the service sector before you make a comment like that. It's not all fast food and car washes.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I didn't give any advice.

But since you bring it up, you really need to see what comprises the service sector before you make a comment like that. It's not all fast food and car washes.

That's true. I am a service sector worker. I am in publishing. We're a service sector job though because we provide templates that allow our customers to create their own customized products and then we edit/polish/proof and print those for the customer which is the service part.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

And yet LA and San Francisco have the worst homeless problem in the nation. Needles and human waste line the streets. It's impossible to find housing that isn't a shoe box and affordable.

They have a massive underclass and are pushing policies to increase the size of it.

This is California.

Best place to live, my ass.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I believe the largest service sector is healthcare, which I’m in. So I’m speaking from my experience. I’m a skilled professional in a very skill dependent career, more so than any other I know of. There is no negotiation. They dictate the salary, and you take it or leave it.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm in medical technology R & D and manufacturing. But I've spent most of my adult life working in the service sector as well, went public sector for a while, and back to service sector again.

The service sector is home to many trades and those trades are incredibly valuable. Most small businesses are started out of the trades, many of which provide service-sector engagement directly or indirectly.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Maybe that's true for you.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

When you have to tout chinese sweatshops it exposes your partisan garbage.
Our economy is ok; much better than the last guy did.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

President Donald Trump and congressional leaders struck a two-year U.S. debt ceiling and budget deal Monday, the president announces via Twitter. The budget deal would raise U.S. discretionary spending to $1.37 trillion in fiscal year 2020, up from $1.32 trillion this year, according to Reuters.

Every time I ask for a credit limit increase from Citibank they either say no or my interest rate increases?
What is the secret?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Maybe that's true for you.

I personally have worked in the majority of professional and ancillary direct care positions in the hospital, so I can safely speak to the hiring and bargaining power (none) of all of them. Sure, doctors can probably negotiate their salaries. But everyone else? It’s a static formula of years in practice x a set percentage + base wage. And there’s no countering, it’s take it or leave it. Is my pay based upon my performance? Hardly. Is it tied in any way to my productivity? Nope. If you have two nurses or two cna’s or two rad techs, with the same experience they’ll get paid exactly the same. Our system is not a meritocracy, not for the vast majority at work, and not in society as a whole.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join