It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our economy stinks

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
a reply to: dfnj2015

At $100,000 living in Los Angeles I'm still pay check to pay check - Rent and taxes are killing me here in LA it costs me over $2000 a month just to go to work between gas, taxes and insurance So I agree .

Maybe move out of LA?

California in general is unlivable. You either have super high cost of living to struggle with or you're loving in a tent city.

here you go

How we crunched the numbers for the best states of 2019
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using FBI crime data and the most recent ACS 2013-2017, this is the criteria we used:

Population Density (The higher the better)
Lowest Unemployment Rates
High Median Income
High Home Values
Levels of College Education
A lot of insured people
Low Crime
No poverty
www.homesnacks.net...

Lol.. well adding population density didn't skew the results... what a load of crap.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

At $100,000 living in Los Angeles I'm still pay check to pay check - Rent and taxes are killing me here in LA it costs me over $2000 a month just to go to work between gas, taxes and insurance So I agree .

Move.... $100k anywhere else is a good living.
Yeah move to a state where the cost if housing is low but your income will drop to 27000.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Yeah move to a state where the cost if housing is low but your income will drop to 27000.

Not necessarily...

Chicago ain't cheap, but it is way cheaper than California. There are plenty of jobs and high incomes in cheaper states like TX, NC, TN, GA, etc....

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

planning on selling everything here and moving to the Kentucky area buy a home with some land out right getting a whatever job that offers insurance and being semi retired and enjoy life for once

livingwage.mit.edu...
Living Wage Calculation for Kentucky
edit on 23-7-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

And that’s the problem is many can’t see past their own experience and beliefs. I think this is the goal of neoliberalism and the current narrative because folks like this are easier to fill with nationalism and xenophobia. I see on here so many times “well it’s going well for me!” And it reminds me of Clinton saying “remember how well things went under Obama” never realizing that for the majority it didn’t. Or trump thinking we all pay $500 a year for insurance. It’s a complete lack of understanding of how the majority lives, not because you haven’t heard it, we all have, you just refuse to believe it.

And half the time, they’re so divorced from the truth that when I talk about the situation they start attacking me for being poor and not working hard enough. Despite the fact that I’m far from poor, and quite gainfully employed. I can only assume it’s because they don’t understand why someone would support or speak for people struggling and impoverished unless they were impoverished themselves. Oh well.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Economy is booming for the professional and entrepreneur classes. If you have skills, you are doing well. Economy is definitely stagnant for the low skilled. Not really sure what can be done about that in the short term.

We also know that artificially inflating minimum wage won't fix the issue

No but it will push out small business so the big corps can get bigger.
edit on 23-7-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Move out of LA. I live in an area where $100,000 is living fairly well off.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Let’s be fair. Yes, I’m many states low cost of living is tied to low wages, or high cost is tied to high wages, but that’s hardly the whole picture. There are plenty states where pay is high and costs of living are normal or low. It was so when I lived in Phoenix, and when I originally moved to Atlanta some 20 years ago the pay was higher and housing and such were lower. And there’s also places where the cost of living is high, and the pay is dismally low. Like New Orleans.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Economy is booming for the professional and entrepreneur classes. If you have skills, you are doing well. Economy is definitely stagnant for the low skilled. Not really sure what can be done about that in the short term.

No but it will push out small business so the big corps and get bigger.

Minimum wage has been artificially pushed down for decades through outsourcing, immigrants, and offshoring. Bumping it up to lower than it would have been had it increased with productivity and inflation? That’s not “artificially inflating” more like a partial correction.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

If you aren't a Democrat, move to Missouri. You can actually afford to live and save money here if you are skilled.

They don't take Republicans in Missouri anymore?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421

No but it will push out small business so the big corps and get bigger.

Minimum wage has been artificially pushed down for decades through outsourcing, immigrants, and offshoring. Bumping it up to lower than it would have been had it increased with productivity and inflation? That’s not “artificially inflating” more like a partial correction.

Wages are just where supply and demand intersect. You can't change wages without causing other issues...

I agree that outsourcing, immigrants, offshoring, etc have helped to suppress wages. I'd also argue feminism is a HUGE contributor as well by bringing a ton of women into the workforce. All of these things affect the supply side of the curve thus putting pressure on wages.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

By in large, you are getting a much better product nowadays across the board

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Why is high population density a plus?

The number of people in an area seems to be an arbitrary of measure of its quality for living.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder
RE their metrics:
How is a higher population density a good thing? People suck. -.- If they got rid of that 'handicap' for some states the map would look wayyyy different. Someone should edit it

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Yeah, totally.... Meanwhile, back in reality: DOW ends just shy of record as stocks rise on news of resumption of face-to-face China trade talks

That means nothing. The DOW is not an indicator of economical health in this country. I don't see how you correlate the two. Please expand your position on this. You do realize what the DOW represents, right?

This thread is astonishing. Did any of the posters here, besides myself, go to college for business, or are you all going by feeling like liberals like to do? I am conservative, dont hate Trump, yet can still see we are in the tanks by statistics, and empirical data.

If you say the economy is doing great, and can see beyond your short sighted first hand experience, post some numbers, and links to back your facts. Instead of BS like, oh well everyone is hiring here, give us some numbers. Wages, housing pricing, goods/needs pricing, debt to income, etc to back up your claim.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnoxMSP

originally posted by: underpass61

I like the economy, I think it's great!

It is for a select few. Mostly boomers though, as they had it much easier than genx or millenials.

Wage gap is higher than ever, home purchases are a higher portion of our income than ever before, and food, water, and electricity is a higher percentage of our income than my parents or their parents had at my age.

Wage gap? What a farce. If a man and woman have the same exact job and credentials, they get paid the exact same unless they're in a DNC committee.

Home purchases are higher because people don't go in search of a small 3 bed 2 bath house like they used to. They want bigger and bigger, and bigger.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16

Yes the economy was great with Odumbo and stinks with Trump....
can you please tell Trump to keep the economy stinking ??

The Commerce Department’s Bureau of Economic Analysis measured 2018 growth at 2.9 percent, matching the peak Obama enjoyed in 2015.

For the rest of the president’s term, economic forecasters agree, that number will decline. “2018 will be the high-water mark for growth in the Trump administration,” Zandi predicted. He expects the decade-old economic expansion will shrink to 1.1 percent growth in 2020, with a better-than-even chance of recession.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: KnoxMSP

originally posted by: underpass61

I like the economy, I think it's great!

It is for a select few. Mostly boomers though, as they had it much easier than genx or millenials.

Wage gap is higher than ever, home purchases are a higher portion of our income than ever before, and food, water, and electricity is a higher percentage of our income than my parents or their parents had at my age.

Wage gap? What a farce. If a man and woman have the same exact job and credentials, they get paid the exact same unless they're in a DNC committee.

Home purchases are higher because people don't go in search of a small 3 bed 2 bath house like they used to. They want bigger and bigger, and bigger.

You brought up gender not me. I dont believe in a gender wage gap.

That's BS about home purchases. Where is your evidence of this?
edit on 23-7-2019 by KnoxMSP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421

originally posted by: manuelram16

Yes the economy was great with Odumbo and stinks with Trump....
can you please tell Trump to keep the economy stinking ??

This isn’t about trump or Obama. The us economy has been declining for the majority for the last 30 years. It’s continuing that trajectory.

Manufactures leaving the country, large chains taking over ma/pa business and buying exclusively from China.
Policies have led to this.

Why China Is America's Biggest Banker. The U.S. debt to China is $1.13 trillion as of February 2019. That's 28% of the $4.02 trillion in Treasury bills, notes, and bonds held by foreign countries. The rest of the $22 trillion national debt is owned by either the American people or by the U.S. government itself.

Why? Plan in motion.

Critics of the Dubai Ports World deal have suggested that U.S. ports should be run by U.S. companies. But the vast majority of port terminals are leased and run by foreign companies and that's unlikely to change.

Several politicians have suggested that no foreign company should manage operations at United States ports. NPR's Adam Davidson looked into how many American port terminals are managed by foreign companies, and what it would take to ensure that only American companies manage American ports.

www.npr.org...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join