It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our economy stinks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

My older sister worked at the Howard Johnson restaurant on the PA Turnpike in the 70's. I remember eating there once.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
Chinas actual purchasing power has quadrupled for the average citizen over the last 10 years. Their manufacturing has exploded and industrialization and middle class have grown faster than any civilization in history. They single handedly kept capitalism from total collapse for the last decade.

The us, on the other hand, has continued to increase its wealth, albeit at a far slower rate than China. However for some reason, while We are wealthier than we have ever been, the middle class continues to shrink, wages continue to decline, and life continues to get worse for the majority of Americans. But, we have freedom here! The freedom of the wealthy elite to steal all the profit created from increased productivity of the workers over the last 40 years. At the same time that people are talking about how well they are doing, how good the economy is, the very same indicators that signaled the coming crash in 07 are here today. But they were saying how great the economy was in 07 as well. Because people have lost the ability to understand real economics or to be able to see when things are about to drop off. Ah well.

For anyone else, I’d strongly suggest switching to bonds and other non volatile instruments, as the us will be bottoming out in the next 6-8 months, and this time I doubt China will save us.

Unfair trade deals are causing middle class boom in China. We essentially shifted our middle class jobs over there... we basically raised them up and out of poverty at the expense of our own middle class.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Ah yes, the interest rates of the eighties. If you had disposable income that you could invest it was great.
I was a newlywed and worked and lived paycheck to paycheck and we did not have much to put away.
I had a full time job and I was starting to do decorating on the side but the cost of childcare took up so much of that.
I wish for Reaganomics interest on savings. Of course interest on loans was ridiculous too. My sister got her first mortgage at over 10% interest. Yikes!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: Fools

I have never seen so many job opportunities in my life. Most employers where I am are having difficulty finding skilled labor of any sort. Wages have increased dramatically.

My OP had to do with hard cold data. Not wishful anecdotal superstitions. But please tell us where do you live and what do you do for a living?

Missouri, Saint Louis area. I am a network engineer. Yes, even at my age (50) I am still paying for college - but its what I had to do to get where I am.
Mind you I also said SKILLED labor. But that includes construction and mechanical type work in my mind as well. I wish I could do what alot of construction people do.

But I also see nearly every single retail and restaurant with hiring signs. And many of them start above the minimum wage.

I like that you said wishful anecdotal superstitions. Nothing I typed was either wishful or superstitious. Anecdotal perhaps, but I think the local unemployment is below 4 percent and I have never seen that for this metro in the 30 or so years I have been paying attention to that kind of thing.

edit on 23-7-2019 by Fools because: .

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: rickymouse

I knew a guy who purchased a small airplane from the return on his CDs. Those were the days!

I could have bought a small kit plane from someone I knew back in the seventies for five hundred bucks. It just needed a few parts put on, he got hurt then old and lost interest in his project. It was a little smaller than a Cessna bi-wing. I think he bought the kit for about five grand ten years before.

In the seventies, I had some CDS that were paying 10.8 percent, I did not have enough money to get the thirteen percent interest. I got five percent interest on checking. No free checks with that deal though, some accounts gave you less interest but free checks when you needed them.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Purely anecdotal but can we really take unemployment #'s at face value? If the plurality of working Americans are being shifted from an upper middle class average to a lower class average at the expense of lower unemployment #'s I'm not sure we could clearly call that a win....

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Depends on supply and demand. Charge what the market will bear - if nobody bites at $2650 lower the price. If people are beating down your door to pay $2650 raise the price. Couldn't be simpler than that. But not in L.A., that's somehow unfair.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Chinas actual purchasing power has quadrupled for the average citizen over the last 10 years. Their manufacturing has exploded and industrialization and middle class have grown faster than any civilization in history. They single handedly kept capitalism from total collapse for the last decade.

The us, on the other hand, has continued to increase its wealth, albeit at a far slower rate than China. However for some reason, while We are wealthier than we have ever been, the middle class continues to shrink, wages continue to decline, and life continues to get worse for the majority of Americans. But, we have freedom here! The freedom of the wealthy elite to steal all the profit created from increased productivity of the workers over the last 40 years. At the same time that people are talking about how well they are doing, how good the economy is, the very same indicators that signaled the coming crash in 07 are here today. But they were saying how great the economy was in 07 as well. Because people have lost the ability to understand real economics or to be able to see when things are about to drop off. Ah well.

For anyone else, I’d strongly suggest switching to bonds and other non volatile instruments, as the us will be bottoming out in the next 6-8 months, and this time I doubt China will save us.

Unfair trade deals are causing middle class boom in China. We essentially shifted our middle class jobs over there... we basically raised them up and out of poverty at the expense of our own middle class.

The only ones making unfair trade deals are Americans. It’s insane the doublethink. What did China ask for? Markets. That’s really it. What does America demand? We demand that they don’t subsidize their business, while we do. We demand they don’t use tariffs while we do. We demand their banks don’t give low interest loans to business. We demand they buy our farming supplies and equipment, and try to force our gm foods on them, which nobody wants. Not too different from the opium wars, where we invaded and forced them to buy our heroin, except we can’t force them at gunpoint anymore. Oh, boo hoo, how unfair they are.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

I’ll tell you what caused the middle class boom. Massive public investment. The opposite of the austerity which we force on people during economic travails, and the exact way you’re supposed to handle depression and recession. Govt pushed hard on infrastructure and industrialization. Here we do the opposite, our govt prints tons of money, like they did, but then it just gives it to bankers to save their profit. No jobs created. No markets saved. All the people allowed to go to hell.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

My OP had to do with hard cold data.

The only part of your op that contained any data was your BLS link.

Everything else was opinion articles and your own view of the economy which is not shared by anyone here...or at least not by anyone who has a stake in the economy.
edit on 23 7 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Now the interest on CDs and money markets is worthless. it is like points of a percent. lol Sad

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

I have never seen so many job opportunities in my life. Most employers where I am are having difficulty finding skilled labor of any sort. Wages have increased dramatically.

It is definitely a market for job seekers. There has never been a better time to demand a raise or change careers. The OP wants to convince everyone that this is not so.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Considering about 90% of employed Americans work service sector, and that in service sector there is no negotiating salary or raises, thanks for advice that is useless to 90% of employed Americans.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Yes the economy was great with Odumbo and stinks with Trump....
can you please tell Trump to keep the economy stinking ??

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16

This isn’t about trump or Obama. The us economy has been declining for the majority for the last 30 years. It’s continuing that trajectory.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

The only ones making unfair trade deals are Americans. It’s insane the doublethink. What did China ask for? Markets. That’s really it. What does America demand? We demand that they don’t subsidize their business, while we do. We demand they don’t use tariffs while we do. We demand their banks don’t give low interest loans to business. We demand they buy our farming supplies and equipment, and try to force our gm foods on them, which nobody wants. Not too different from the opium wars, where we invaded and forced them to buy our heroin, except we can’t force them at gunpoint anymore. Oh, boo hoo, how unfair they are.

And we finally have a President that is stopping those trade deals despite opposition from both parties...

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16

This isn’t about trump or Obama. The us economy has been declining for the majority for the last 30 years. It’s continuing that trajectory.

Correct, it's a stupid post to try and tell the sheeple that Orange man bad....

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I think we are at a tipping point of sorts. No, not the economy going one way or another but something even more disruptive.

Notice how nobody cares about debt anymore? Money, especially cash is seen as passé. You need a credit card to have a good time...

I think They know it not sustainable. There have been trial balloons about "universal income" so you have to ask yourself, "Why?"

As oil companies wring out the last of their wealth they are quietly investing in "clean energy" because they know it is a dead end.

I think Lockheed's announcement in 2014 about their nuclear fusion reactor was a shot across the bow. Now, today, another company, using something called a "reversed Z-pinch" reactor has made history in producing more neutrons than any other fusion reactor in history. And they did it at low power with plans to go from 1 mega amp to 10 MA.

I think nuclear fusion has been cracked. This changes everything. Cheap energy from an isotope of sea water (limitless, cheap) with no carbon emissions? Yeah, that would change Big Oil's tune and have them crapping their pants!

What happens when energy is paid out for based on how long you are projected live, kind of like life insurance? That would make things a lot different. Then what happens to money? Why would we need it? We would become like Star Trek and go around exploring with no need for meal tickets! And They know that. That is what is about to happen to the economy: Star Trek!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

At $100,000 living in Los Angeles I'm still pay check to pay check - Rent and taxes are killing me here in LA it costs me over $2000 a month just to go to work between gas, taxes and insurance So I agree .

Maybe move out of LA?

California in general is unlivable. You either have super high cost of living to struggle with or you're loving in a tent city.

here you go

How we crunched the numbers for the best states of 2019
We threw a lot of criteria at this one in order to get the best, most complete results possible. Using FBI crime data and the most recent ACS 2013-2017, this is the criteria we used:

Population Density (The higher the better)
Lowest Unemployment Rates
High Median Income
High Home Values
Levels of College Education
A lot of insured people
Low Crime
No poverty
www.homesnacks.net...

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: projectvxn

Thanks for the backup, project. I think my reply went over his 'lil head.

On topic, I don't care what your numbers say I'm seeing more work now than I have in a decade. Good, profitable work. My backlog is currently 3-4 weeks and will stay that way at least through the end of the year. Projections for 2020 are strong too, sorry to burst your bubble.

How can one man's experience "burst any bubbles"?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join