It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our economy stinks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: KnoxMSP

Mostly boomers though, as they had it much easier than genx or millenials.

I remember the economy in the 1970's.
I think some genXers and millenials need to experience some of those 'easy times'.

Yeah, the seventies and early eighties were great, before they exported all the real jobs from this country.

I was speaking of the 70's of the Nixon/Ford/Carter era that had double digit inflation and unemployment.
I was forced to eat government cheese.

edit on b000000312019-07-23T11:50:10-05:0011America/ChicagoTue, 23 Jul 2019 11:50:10 -05001100000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Our economy stinks

YOUR economy stinks
Mine is doing just fine...
Speak for yourself
Don't speak for me.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
a reply to: dfnj2015

At $100,000 living in Los Angeles I'm still pay check to pay check - Rent and taxes are killing me here in LA it costs me over $2000 a month just to go to work between gas, taxes and insurance So I agree .

Move.... $100k anywhere else is a good living.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: FauxMulder

The 7 percent number had to do with purchasing power not wages in Yuans.

But you said:

Can you imagine your wages rising in real terms 7 percent per year for 10 years!! That's freaking amazing.

Which is clearly about wages and not purchasing power.

Sigh. "wages rising in real terms" has to do with purchasing power taking into account inflation. Americans truly deserve poverty.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I like AOC. I think she's great!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

planning on selling everything here and moving to the Kentucky area buy a home with some land out right getting a whatever job that offers insurance and being semi retired and enjoy life for once

edit on 7/23/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Economy is booming for the professional and entrepreneur classes. If you have skills, you are doing well. Economy is definitely stagnant for the low skilled. Not really sure what can be done about that in the short term.

I do know that importing hordes of low skilled illegal immigrants is not helping.

We also know that artificially inflating minimum wage won't fix the issue other than speed up the ROI and motivation of companies to invest in technology to replace workers.

I do think Trump has set in place things that should have been done decades ago. We've effectively moved out low & middle class jobs overseas and to Mexico with unbalanced trade deals. We essentially are raising their standards of living while lowering ours....

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

a reply to: KnoxMSP

Mostly boomers though, as they had it much easier than genx or millenials.

I remember the economy in the 1970's.
I think some genXers and millenials need to experience some of those 'easy times'.

Yeah, the seventies and early eighties were great, before they exported all the real jobs from this country.

I was speaking of the 70's of the Nixon/Ford/Carter era that had double digit inflation and unemployment.
I was forced to eat government cheese.

I was a foreman for a local beauracracy insulating houses. We had to give out that cheese every month. I actually got paid by CETA funding. That cheese and butter was really good, and the honey they gave made really good smoke fish. Of course, most people who got the cheese complained that the government was trying to kill everyone of constipation.

Lots of people got that stuff, there were unemployment extensions up the kazoo. Great when you wanted to party because you did not have to get up for work. Our area always had a lot of summer work back then, so unemployment insurance was the winter income back then for many people who worked construction and on farms.

If you wanted to work back in the seventies, there were jobs in the summer, maybe after christmas it got bad, but usually I never had a problem finding something. I liked to work though, I produced, so I got work really quickly if I wanted to work.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

Glad you like my reply! Everything is great for me (well, except the rent control issue and corrupt do-nothing dems taxing the crap out of me while homeless addicts roam the streets downtown). Your situation is your problem (or opportunity, if you care to work hard and try). And yes, MAGA!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

At $100,000 living in Los Angeles I'm still pay check to pay check - Rent and taxes are killing me here in LA it costs me over $2000 a month just to go to work between gas, taxes and insurance So I agree .

It's funny how people ignore half the equation. We have no free-markets left in this country. All we have is cartels and monopolies. On top of that local governments are froth with corruption driving up local taxes.

It's going to be a long time before people figure out corporations are gaming the system on every level.

Contrary to the delusions of right wing Retardicans, the facts simply do not support their mindless devotion to party:

Purchasing power of the consumer dollar

I might as well have said "Trump stinks" in my OP judging by the responses.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

planning on selling everything here and moving to the Kentucky area buy a home with some land out right getting a whatever job that offers insurance and being semi retired and enjoy life for once

Good move. Only thing that keeps me on the 1%er hamster wheel at this point is young kids. Otherwise, I would be following you... lol. I'd literally sell all my sh*t and get an RV and just roam the country. I could probably live off $30k/year fairly easily at this point.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
a reply to: underpass61

I love this reply, it's so typical! "I'm doing great so everything is great!". Forget the other economic indicators that lagged during the Obama years and continued during the Trump Era.

I'm doing fantastic and thus, everything is great, MAGA!

MAGA today, MAGA tomorrow, MAGA forever!!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

If you aren't a Democrat, move to Missouri. You can actually afford to live and save money here if you are skilled.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I have never seen so many job opportunities in my life. Most employers where I am are having difficulty finding skilled labor of any sort. Wages have increased dramatically.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I knew a guy who purchased a small airplane from the return on his CDs. Those were the days!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I was still in school in the seventies. My parents would not let me get a job except for babysitting on weekends.
My mother only had a part time job and that was because she wanted to occupy her time since us kids were teens and gaining independence.
Our livelihood was provided by my fathers income. And he worked two jobs to feed four kids and maintain a ten room house on long island.
If there were any hard times I do not know about it. If they struggled I do not know about that.
We went out to dinner at least once a week because Dad loved those fried clams at Howard Johnson's restaurant. Who remembers their all you can eat menu? Fridays was fish. Flounder or clams and mountains of french fries.
And a butterscotch sunday for dessert.

link   

originally posted by: Fools

I have never seen so many job opportunities in my life. Most employers where I am are having difficulty finding skilled labor of any sort. Wages have increased dramatically.

My OP had to do with hard cold data. Not wishful anecdotal superstitions. But please tell us where do you live and what do you do for a living?

link   
Chinas actual purchasing power has quadrupled for the average citizen over the last 10 years. Their manufacturing has exploded and industrialization and middle class have grown faster than any civilization in history. They single handedly kept capitalism from total collapse for the last decade.

The us, on the other hand, has continued to increase its wealth, albeit at a far slower rate than China. However for some reason, while We are wealthier than we have ever been, the middle class continues to shrink, wages continue to decline, and life continues to get worse for the majority of Americans. But, we have freedom here! The freedom of the wealthy elite to steal all the profit created from increased productivity of the workers over the last 40 years. At the same time that people are talking about how well they are doing, how good the economy is, the very same indicators that signaled the coming crash in 07 are here today. But they were saying how great the economy was in 07 as well. Because people have lost the ability to understand real economics or to be able to see when things are about to drop off. Ah well.

For anyone else, I’d strongly suggest switching to bonds and other non volatile instruments, as the us will be bottoming out in the next 6-8 months, and this time I doubt China will save us.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I had forgotten about the CETA program. I remember a couple of guys that washed firetrucks at the volunteer fire company that were paid through CETA.
It was pretty depressed in the area of PA that I lived in. The steel industry went bust and that had an effect through a good portion of the state. I worked for $2 an hour under the table in the summer as a laborer on construction sites. I think the minimum wage was $2.35 an hour then.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: FauxMulder

The numbers are irrelevant. The purchasing power of your take home pay is all that matters. The 7 percent number had to do with purchasing power not wages in Yuans.

Leftist have eroded the purchasing power with their policies...

On a whole, most goods and services are actually cheaper. By in large, you are getting a much better product nowadays across the board due to improvements in technology, supply chains, etc. Cars, clothing, tech based goods, food, etc.

However, some things, that are primarily subsidized by government or driven by regulations, have seen huge increases in cost well above inflation with no discernible difference in quality... namely insurance and secondary education. Much of the increased costs can be dropped right at the feet of government market interference.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join