It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our economy stinks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I just read this:

"The story is even more dramatic in China. Real wages have risen just over 7.0 percent annually over the last decade"

Can you imagine your wages rising in real terms 7 percent per year for 10 years!! That's freaking amazing. That means the cost of goods and services has been dropping when taking into account inflation!! Can you imagine???????

The quote was taken from this article:

The “Aging Crisis” Is Actually Just a Labor Crisis for the Wealthy

In this country wages are flat or negative in real terms and we have a long way to go on this chart:

Employment–popu lation ratio and unemployement rate

This article talks about the economy with lots of graphs:

Trump Claims the Economy Is the Best Ever—These 11 Facts Tell a Different Story

"Despite Trump’s Massive Corporate Tax Cuts, Business Investment Isn’t Growing “Like Never Before”"

The swamp hasn't been drained. And the latest round of trickle-down-Reagonomics didn't work.

I think the government needs to print some interest free money and get this economy going again in real terms!

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I like the economy, I think it's great!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Well the average salary in China is about $23,000 a year (63,000 yuan) that is for 2017, most recent data. In the US its $56,000 and that was back in 2015, again most recent data.

When their average is on par with ours, you wont see those 7 percent increases.

www.google.com... &ie=UTF-8

www.google.com... F-8
edit on 23-7-2019 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

By what measure? Or is this superstitious subjective fandom?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

The numbers are irrelevant. The purchasing power of your take home pay is all that matters. The 7 percent number had to do with purchasing power not wages in Yuans.

edit on 23-7-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

It is for a select few. Mostly boomers though, as they had it much easier than genx or millenials.

Wage gap is higher than ever, home purchases are a higher portion of our income than ever before, and food, water, and electricity is a higher percentage of our income than my parents or their parents had at my age.

+19 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Why should he/she give you a reasoned response? That's your MO that is being thrown back at you.

Post some more about how you like AOC and think she's pretty.

Except for the BLS link, you have no real data to deal with. It's all opinions based on faulty understandings of economic indicators.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

At $100,000 living in Los Angeles I'm still pay check to pay check - Rent and taxes are killing me here in LA it costs me over $2000 a month just to go to work between gas, taxes and insurance So I agree .

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

At $100,000 living in Los Angeles I'm still pay check to pay check - Rent and taxes are killing me here in LA it costs me over $2000 a month just to go to work between gas, taxes and insurance So I agree .

Maybe move out of LA?

California in general is unlivable. You either have super high cost of living to struggle with or you're loving in a tent city.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
China was so far behind in wages. It wasn't until they cleaned up their clogged rivers of trash and junk boats that they could finally start really trading globally. They were basically starting from nothing so of course the growth has been steady like a embryo to a baby.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: FauxMulder

The 7 percent number had to do with purchasing power not wages in Yuans.

But you said:

Can you imagine your wages rising in real terms 7 percent per year for 10 years!! That's freaking amazing.

Which is clearly about wages and not purchasing power.

edit on 23-7-2019 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Thanks for the backup, project. I think my reply went over his 'lil head.

On topic, I don't care what your numbers say I'm seeing more work now than I have in a decade. Good, profitable work. My backlog is currently 3-4 weeks and will stay that way at least through the end of the year. Projections for 2020 are strong too, sorry to burst your bubble.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

What shall we do to fix it?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: KnoxMSP

Mostly boomers though, as they had it much easier than genx or millenials.

I remember the economy in the 1970's.
I think some genXers and millenials need to experience some of those 'easy times'.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

I live in L.A. city limits also and I'll tell ya, rent is killing me too. Rent control that is. My property would easily rent for double what I'm getting now (it's a prime oceanfront duplex). As it is the rent barely covers upkeep and taxes with a little change to spare.
If you can't afford it, find someplace you can. What's more unfair- not being able to afford to live in the area you desire, or telling the person who owns that property what he is allowed to charge? To me it's pretty clear.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

I love this reply, it's so typical! "I'm doing great so everything is great!". Forget the other economic indicators that lagged during the Obama years and continued during the Trump Era.

I'm doing fantastic and thus, everything is great, MAGA!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Depends on what you are currently charging I'm a block away from the beach and my little 1000 sq foot 2 bed 1 bath is $2650 per month there's got to be weights and balances . It wouldn't be the renters fault if you refinanced and took out a bunch of money thinking you can just raise the rent to cover it .
edit on 7/23/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I think some genXers and millenials need to experience some of those 'easy times'.

Easy to disprove that with stats, if need be.

Look into the purchase power of the dollar in the 70's, along with pricing of needs, goods, and housing, and compare to now. You will find you are mistaken. Dont take my word though, look for yourself.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Unnaturally massed produced foods do not require a lot of labor to produce, but the quality of the food chemistry is lacking.

We have importers hauling in imports from China who makes it cheap, but importers and high paid people jack the prices way up in this consumer based society. We could make the stuff and pay our workers decently with the difference of the profits taken by the rich people importing the stuff. But of course, low cost of living because you can eat garbage food and buy junk that does not last from other countries causes wage increases not to happen here in America.

Under Trump we got more jobs, but the top one percent is still making a very lot of money. We are well conditioned to spend money on things we really do not need and skimp on necessary things. Perfect way to destroy a society, people are getting sick from poor nutrition because they spend their money on phones and computers. Even our meats and vegetables are compromised, cows are not supposed to be eating what they are feeding them. The Veggies are treated to last weeks instead of days, so this chemistry causes harm to us yet they tout antioxidants like they are treated with as super foods BS coming at us from every direction, the economy is not so big of an issue as people getting way more cancer and diabetes these days from improper food chemistry being called safe.

The economy is going fine, lots of jobs being created in the medical and pharma industry to make the numbers look good.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Yeah, the seventies and early eighties were great, before they exported all the real jobs from this country.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join