It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The amount of people on food assistance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DustybudzZ

People should eat a healthy diet. If my money is going to go toward helping people out of poverty, then I want them eating food that will sustain them, not make them fat and sick and ultimately unable to work to sustain themselves so they need my money even more.

I work hard figuring out how to feed our family of three a healthy diet on less than $150/week most weeks.

Guess what we almost never have room in our budget for? Yep. Pop and sugary sweets. They're completely cost ineffective which means they are what they are meant to be -- treats, and rare ones at that.

Do you know what my family isn't? Obese.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DustybudzZ
So according to the majority on this thread

It's not personal, I've answered these questions for you:

Poor people should not be able to?.... have babies at all!

-Nobody should have babies until they are fully able to accept the responsibility for them. Not just financially, that includes emotionally.

And why do people care so much about what other people do anyway ? Is your own life that boring?

-We didn't care until we started getting taxed to death. We didn't care until we saw "poor people" "buying" food that the hardest working middle class could never afford.

Because I got news for all of you your damm tax dollars don't really go to what you think it dose any way

I assure you, the money is coming from the middle class.

Quit acting like you're so much better then everyone else and acting like you don't have vices and luxuries.

-Nobody is better than anyone, remember that. Nobody deserves the rewards of another persons' labor. I don't have any problems when people have vices, I do have a problem with someone needs to buy cigarettes, booze and gamble but they don't have money to feed their kids.

S**t!!! the rich are the worst of all and think they are the only ones that deserve a damm twinkie every once in a while

-The rich are like everyone else, there are bad people and good people. In my experience the rich are some of the hardest working, workaholics I've ever met. Many of them will put work above family, fun, life and just about anything. That is why they are rich. Some have little empathy because they have lived through being "poor" without getting stuck there and expect others to do the same.

It's just crazy the way people think and feel about there fellow human beings and just don't care about anyone but there selfs
- If you reallllly read into my OP you would see that what I'm most concerned with is that poor people are being used a pawns. They are being lured with food and they are falling for it. If you take away someones most basic need for something and make them incapable of being able to feed themselves you truly have control over them. Did you know at most public places you can forage. There is really food ALL around us. People just don't want to do that anymore. At some point, government will either take the food away or control people even more with it. It's coming, you wait and see.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Exactly.

Once they control us all and are responsible for feeding us and our medical care, they'll tell us exactly what to eat, how to live, what work we will do or they'll cut us off. There will be no choice for anyone at any level.

You want your health care? Don't eat those sweet treats ... ever, not just don't have once in a while, but ever.

Govern yourself wisely or you will be governed.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Did you know at most public places you can forage. There is really food ALL around us. People just don't want to do that anymore. At some point, government will either take the food away or control people even more with it. It's coming, you wait and see.

But you can't forage here....I wonder why?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

But you can't forage here....I wonder why?

That is so darn wasteful, but I know why. People are so sue happy. I know I worked for a place that made baby food
and used to give out blemished tins.........until someone sued, now they go in a landfill.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Maybe they should close tax loop holes....

You know the ones where if anybody were to say "trump pays no taxes"...

Yeah... ignorance is amazing, isn't it?

The only solid evidence anyone has of Trumps taxes is the 'bombshell' leaked 2005 return hyped by Rachel Maddow that showed Trump paid a whopping 38 million in taxes on 150 million in income.

So, you wanna rephrase that 'Trump didn't pay any taxes' meme?

you would all say say he is a genius for playing the system and using tax loop holes...

Anyone who doesn't take advantage of every legal tax loophole is a fool.

Yet when the poor play the system and exploit loop holes you are up in arms lol...

Yeah, ignorance really is amazing...

Are you seriously comparing people who take advantage of tax loopholes to keep more of their own hard earned money, to poor people gaming the welfare system wherein they are actually stealing hard-earned money taken from people who work for their money?

Really?

I am sure there are plenty of people that lie and scam the system...

I'm sure there are - but people who take advantage of tax loopholes aren't lying or scamming the system.

But if it is legal for them to buy chips and soda, who the f are you to tell them not too? seriously?

The person who originally owned the money they are using to but those chips and soda?

Who the f are you or they to think they should be able to steal money from others with no strings attached?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

40 million is bad, but that number has been decreasing since obama left the white house. It was close to 70 million under him.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

This isn't even the real problem. Soda being the #1 item purchased along with other junk foods is the problem. Only allow a marginal amount of items to be purchased; eggs, meat, bread, vegetables. The number of people using it would fall off a cliff.

I would even give people the option of those items or, they can get military MRE's delivered to them. The program we have now is a scam by and large. Weak rules, no enforcement and it props up junk food makers and beverages and leads to obesity.

Absolutely. SNAP needs to run on a system similar to WIC. And unless you're disabled, you shouldn't qualify for more than six months of assistance before being cut off. When your only option is to sink or swim, most people will swim. It's time to let the others sink if they're too lazy to try.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

We have one supermarket that actually allowed so called "container" to pick the good stuff out of their garbage containers. It's still "verboten" in most cases though. Go REWE!

Your thread brought another thought to mind, this reminds me of the French Revolution and why it got so bloody. You didn't see that much violence during the American Revolution, and I think this correlates with the overall poverty of the people in France during that time.
Right now the ruling oligarchy has a choice: give a few things away to keep most of the wealth or trickle down the gutter when history starts repeating itself.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

He could always get sparkling water, too. A good combo. It'll knock your tastebuds in the dirt at first but if you do like me then you'll learn to love it. I bought a couple of cases, not realizing what I had was sparkling water, and that's all I had to drink. I suffered through it at first, but before i finished the last case off, I adjusted to the flavor and now that's what I prefer to soda. Another plus is that nobody in my house likes it so they don't drink it.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

It's been mentioned thousands of times that people unable to work have our support for gov assistance. It's the lazy, able bodied people nobody wants to help. Do you take people to the DMV for ID's?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Start a food drive then, I'll send you all my leftovers.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

But if it is legal for them to buy chips and soda, who the f are you to tell them not too? seriously?

We're the ones who work and pay taxes that supply the money for the junk they buy. That's who the f we are. They're the beggars, not us.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: Sillyolme

It's been mentioned thousands of times that people unable to work have our support for gov assistance. It's the lazy, able bodied people nobody wants to help. Do you take people to the DMV for ID's?

It is actually the ones that are unable to work, and truly disabled that are suffering at the hands of lazy people.

We also need to re-evaluate true disability. Isn't it funny that some of these "disabled" people were able to work before, but now they can't???

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Start a food drive then, I'll send you all my leftovers.

My lady and I do volunteer work at our church food pantry helping senior citizens, the disabled and poor. The food is donated by restaurants, grocery stores and farmers; Distributed by a nonprofit that collects and stores the food. Why the snarky comment?

edit on 25-7-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I don't want to deal with anyone that refuses to work... something like 20% of the people on universal credit are abusing it for free housing and then having kids, then claiming more money to raise their children.
They agree to work-search terms and conditions at the office and lie about looking for work so they continue to gain money through a broken universal credit. These are the kind of people that would refuse to cut the lawn or cook a hot meal for their mother.

I don't mind my tax money being spent on the elderly and the disabled to help them but **** all of the scum that choose to exploit a system directed towards those less fortunate.

Here's hoping that Boris gets rid of the stupid system and forces all this scum out into something called reality.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

People should eat a healthy diet. If my money is going to go toward helping people out of poverty, then I want them eating food that will sustain them, not make them fat and sick and ultimately unable to work to sustain themselves so they need my money even more. 

Can I ask just exactly how much of your money is being used for people on food stamps, or snap?

Then can I ask just exactly how much of your money is going towards paying for life long retirement packages of government officials, healthcare and the whole works?

How much of your money is supplementing the corporate and wealthy tax loopholes where they don't have to pay barely or anything to help sustain the system.

I'm sure that your few measley dollars for welfare pales in comparison to the other things I mentioned.

People are brainwashed into believing that poor people are the problem. Whether or not you want to admit it or not.

Who gives a crap about the poor and their habits, when the government has an open checkbook on anything and everything they desire?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Can I ask just exactly how much of your money is being used for people on food stamps, or snap? Then can I ask just exactly how much of your money is going towards paying for life long retirement packages of government officials, healthcare and the whole works? How much of your money is supplementing the corporate and wealthy tax loopholes where they don't have to pay barely or anything to help sustain the system.

It does not matter if one cent is going for people on food stamps, and 100 dollars is going toward government officials.
A person can be disgusted at both. Why this exact argument is always being made boggles my mind.

The only argument that is valid is why people can't keep more of their hard earned money.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Can I ask how many times you vote for government officials who would expand those same programs you are busy bitching about?

You do understand that every single government assistance program, top to bottom, is staffed by an army of bureaucrats that get paid far more than any poor person ever sees out of the money taxed to improve it? Right? So voting against those programs is voting against paying for government officials and their sweet bennies for life.

I like to vote for tax reform, including a flat tax rate for all, top to bottom, no exceptions or loop holes. What happens after they get to DC is what happens, but how many times have you voted for politicos who promised you more of my money who didn't deliver once they got to DC?

Entitlements *are* the problem. Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, the other social safety programs and all the bureaucrats who staff them eat up the lion's share of government budgets every year.

And sure, every single one of you who come in here and make this argument for whatever government chicken is in your pot or about to be put there) all say the same thing, "It's just a few measly dollars," but there are a *lot* of you and there is only one of me, and it's clear none of you care on bit about me or my family, you only care about the pile of cash you think I represent and can't understand that by the time I give "a few measly dollars" to all of you in my taxes, I'm the next to stand in line behind you.

What happens when none of us has anyone to take money from?

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I disagree on the boundaries of the government when it comes to assistance. If someone has to borrow money to get by, the person they borrowed it from should have a say in the scope of what can be purchased with that money. Each state should let the citizens vote on whether or not the state government can limit what can be bought.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join