It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hilarious Disabled People

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: deknubed
a reply to: DanDanDat

Thank you for your thoughtful reply - I will consider it. But like I said above - I think that if we avoid words like retard then some other word like retard will just take its place and we will be giving these avoided or banned words more power than they deserve. But yeah I'm not out to offend retarded people. I'm out to offend liberals.

Barring the last sentence you hit the nail on the head. Words only have the power we attribute to them, people want to offend others they don’t like or disagree with by insulting them using whatever words they think will do so most effectively.

This of course doesn’t help people come round to your way of thinking it only pushes them more against it so it’s pointless.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Oh my god this is such a long reply. I already covered all this stuff. A simple I insult like retard is a simple insult - like I said its light. The word retard is not really used in medical and social services these days so the reality is that it is no worse than imbecile or idiot whereas to use the word uneducated is highly offensive - it really doesn't get any worse than that because its dismissing the majority of western society. So no I am not a hypocrite in any way shape or form and my OP stands.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

Maria Stardust - my intention is not to be cruel - especially not to mentally handicapped people. I truly do believe that it is ridiculous to ban words or to change them to 'R-word' or 'N-word'. The way I see it - since the word retard really isn't used in medical or social services these days then the more we use it as an alternative to say imbecile or idiot the less power the word will have and in no time at all it won't even be associated with mentally handicapped people.

Another thing is that I am part of the disabled community myself due to thst fact that I suffer from the silent disability thatnis dyslexia - so shouldn't liberals give me consent to use the word as I please just like liberals have given consent to black people to use the so-called N-word? If I want to greet a fellow disabled person by saying "What up retard?" then shouldn't liberals be fine with that? ( sorry ).

But come on Maria Stardust - you have never called someone an imbecile or idiot? You must have at least thought it. Well retard is on the same level now. Its all good now.

And your last paragraph is just lovely - it should probably be made into an inspirational poster or something. Thank you for that.
edit on 23-7-2019 by deknubed because: Typo

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: deknubed

Then, by your logic, you should have no problem with others using “uneducated” and other such insults. Right?

Because your right to insult another person somehow diminishes the insult.

Sort of like trickle-down economics. The more you offend, the less offensive it becomes.

Wow. The mental acrobatics involved with that convoluted line of thinking is impressive.

Truth be told, we live in a country where you are free to insult other people to your heart’s content. You can even attempt to justify it all you want. It’s not a liberal or conservative thing. That’s the power of freedom of speech.

However, it makes no sense for you to be terribly offended (see what I did there) when you are called out on it.

So, you do you. Just don’t think you are standing on any sort high and mighty moral platform for doing so.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Im not going to speak for the "PC crowd," I think they are nuts and am outspoken about it.

'
'
' '

I think a lot of the gravity of your post is taken away by the constant use of "retard." I feel like there are more pertinent points that can be made. Im not offended by the word though..

The evolution of words.............

Retarded is a word to describe someone who is mentally slow. This is a medical word that spread
to slang,
and is today considered very insulting

So WHO decided it was an offensive word?

I think the issue, as with many subjects, is people getting offended on behalf of others.

So true, all the 'do gooders' who make it their lifes work to defend that

doesn't need defending........

But, the reality is that for many of us cripples, we are difficult to deal with. Not that we are difficult people (I am, but thats besides the point
), but more that it requires special effort to maintain a relationship and that extra effort pretty much has to come from the non-disabled person, by definition.

So unusual to see anyone use that word.....cripple...... its a word I grew up with

so see no offence with it, however this pc culture we live in doesnt allow me to

use it along with many other old fashioned words.

Firstly, the word cripple would be offensive to many in the disability community. However, the fact is there is a large disagreement with language and what's offensive to one may not be to others. In general, the word can cause offense so you should know that the person is comfortable with the term before using it.

After all...... That which we call a rose By Any Other Name would smell as sweet?

All that said, I feel that at least some aspects of "ableism" are accurate. We simply cant do the things that most take for granted. And, I think its unfair for both "sides" to expect the normal person to even remotely understand what its like. Conversely, cripples are not "worthless" inherently, and I think youll find most of us can laugh at ourselves more readily than the vast majority of people. Because, without that.. It is all to easy to fall into darkness.

Great post!!

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   

As a proud member of the uneducated sociopathic community I would like to add this video.

edit on 24 7 2019 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   
It's funny that he OP should mention a comedian with Cerebral Palsy. I knew a lady with CP many years ago, she made fun of herself and her CP, and anyone else she could get a comedic dig at left and right. She was hilarious, she left people laughing so hard we were gasping for air. There wasn't much in life that woman took seriously (let alone herself)

Today though, I think it boils down to the Gen X & younger parents of the disabled trying to make it a PC world, and thus the disabled kids grow up not knowing any differently. Grooming, if you will, and at it's fnest. Honestly, I think if given the freedom to assess the world at large like they used to, instead of having mom & dad & their Parents of Disabled Kids support groups tell them what to think, things would be vastly different.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Dang another post by a millenium who should be pointing the finger at himself,all about yourself,say anything you want,but when someone replies back you have a hissy fit

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Ill agree with you on this one "Ole Timer" and give you a STAR. This writers piece along with the Catholic one is nothing but a reverse Pysop.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I was kinda trying to show how one can use an "offensive" word, and as long as ya dont absolutely obsess over it.. It just becomes part of the conversation. It doesn't give massive amounts of power to it.

That.. And I think "cripple" is one hell of a fun word to say

There are very few disabled people that actually have an issue with it. And, I would propose that those that do, have invariably not come to terms with their situation.

I think one of the problems in this specific topic, is that much of the "wisdom" that people give others does not apply. So, it becomes a really, really tough situation for some.

Things like "hope" can become exceptionally poisonous and stagnating. Things like exercise, even minor, can make things worse and worse the longer we keep them up. And on, and on.

But, that doesnt mean one cant find contentment and joy. It does mean that well intentioned advice that would be phenomenal for normal people, could very well be extremely destructive and detrimental. This is exacerbated greatly when its the doctors and professionals doing this..

I digress
But hey, Im building a guitar called the Cripple Custom. I dont know how successful I will be, but I really hope (
) I am able (
) to enable (
) a fellow cripple (
) who always wanted to play, but couldn't because of its design.

We will see how it goes though.. Im going to struggle to build the one for me, much less anyone else. And, the luthiers I contacted to possibly collaborate were baffled by the idea. I think my experience there might be closer to "ableism" than most. Why the hell would they want to help cripples play guitar?

I could probably go on a hell of a rant about the albeism that does actually run rampant. It just doesn't manifest at all like "able" people think it does. Especially (!!) when the disability isnt obvious and the person isnt bitter and a permanent emotional wreck. We are supposed to be victims, dontchyaknow!

So, I own the damn word. And, its fun to say.
What are they gonna do, break my legs? Been there, done that

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Call someone's kid retarded and get back to me.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Call someone's kid retarded and get back to me.

Dunno.. Is it the same thing to use it in casual conversation as using it as an intentional insult directed at someone? Is it the same thing to hurl it at someone who *isnt* disabled, as it is to hurl it at some who *is*?

Im not sure that they are the same. I mean, Ive had loved ones call me a cripple in a joking manner. It probably amuses me more than them. Ive also had people call me the mostly acceptable "disabled," but with the weight and intent of some pretty vicious undertones.

Could it be that there is more to it than the word itself? I think so..

And, at least for my family, the members with Down Syndrome DGAF. Probably a joke there somewhere..

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I'm not really interested in semantics. You know when you are being insulted and you know when you are in the insulting mode. I think it's always prudent to think of others feelings before insulting someone even in jest.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I dont know.. It seems to me that in a conversation about conversation and language, a dismissal of semantics is greatly limiting. Especially when those very same semantics can mean the difference from social acceptance to social evisceration, regardless of intent. Someone can use the right "semantics" and be as vicious, bigoted, racist, etc. as their heart desires. Sure.. The target might know, but with modern technology and sensibilities, conversations tend to involve a helluva lot more people and are almost solely interpreted in our own headspace.

And yes, I can tell when its an insult, at least usually, but there are plenty of disabilities that limit the ability to make that determination. Id also argue that it really is not always obvious in modern communication. Thinking it is may very well lead to many of the problems we are talking about, and extend much further than that. Hell.. Many times, there is no actual target, just a general statement that people decide to take personally.

What happens when someone overhears it and decides to become offended on behalf of the ones actually having the conversation? Its something that can happen with ever increasing frequency as technology permeates the world. What happens when someone misunderstands? What happens when someone takes a general statement and feels its directed at them personally?

I have real world experience there in multiple aspects of this subject. Both by being a relatively normal-appearing cripple and with very close family members with Downs.

I would actually argue that calling it out, getting horribly offended by it, or censoring it, gives power where it should not be given and strengthens associations that might be better if they werent made. The ever morphing colloquialisms of language tend to move away from offensive intent as they are adopted in common vernacular. That is, unless we interfere and slow down or even stall that progression.

Not only do I feel it is a nuanced conversation, I think it extends further than just the subject of "disabilities." And, I feel its never been more important to talk about, in good faith, than now. If none of this interests you, why bother talking about it at all?

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I'm not really interested in semantics. You know when you are being insulted and you know when you are in the insulting mode. I think it's always prudent to think of others feelings before insulting someone even in jest.

Regardless.......it is a medical term. Medical terms do not set out to insult.

Retarded - Dictionary Definition :
www.vocabulary.com...
Retarded is a word to describe someone who is mentally slow. This is a medical word
that spread to slang,
and is today considered very insulting.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Life tends to be a bit smoother if you aren't bleeding from the nose after insulting someone's kid.

I had a long post all set to go, but most of it, if not all, has been said.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Regardless.......it is a medical term. Medical terms do not set out to insult.

It's a slang term used to describe mental slowness and used as an insult.. At least that's what it says in the link you provided.

It's all in the context of it's usage...

www.vocabulary.com...
edit on 24-7-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

My youngest brother has Down Syndrome and it quite mentally crippled due to it. Calling him retarded in that sense is a very apt descriptor -- so apt that even if used in a derogatory sense, it's still damn apt & I can't be bothered to get upset over it. It's playing Captain Obvious to me at that point. "Well, yeah, he's retarded, thanks for playing."

I see a major difference between trying to insult the disabled directly, and using mocking insults/light insults linked to diminished mental capacity as a light insult to a regular moron. There are nuances to English, it is not black and white like people today keep trying to delude themselves into thinking. That's why so many words have so many multiple meanings, depending on conversational context.

If you're going to try to White Knight in some unasked for morality on my behalf, please don't. It's grating AF, and only the younger folks out there are actually trying to club people into being word wusses alongside them. There isn't much benefit to a PC culture that tells us how to insult or joke with people. That's not up the the PC culture at all.

<< 1   >>

join