It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Jonson Elected as New Prime Minister of The UK.

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silure
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Say if BJ pulls off some great deal at the last minute, would you still want to leave the UK?
Genuine question, not being a dick or anything.

Its a very interesting question actually.....

In the last referendum on Scottish independence I voted to remain as part of the UK

Now my issue is this;

The people of the UK as the United kingdom, voted to leave the EU, however the people of Scotland as a nation voted to remain. We now have this situation whereby the will of the people of Scotland have said we want to remain yet are being dragged out kicking and screaming by the UK government. A nation has the right to self determination, the people of Scotland determined that we wanted our destiny, our future to be as a member of the EU but that is being overruled by the UK government. Now, that is just how our current system works but as a Scotsman that doesn't sit too well with me that my nation voted to remain in the EU yet is being forced out so the only solution then is for Scotland to leave the UK and become a fully independent and sovereign state.

So with that said it would take quite a shift in the deal for my views on that to change, if Brexit was to be canceled all together it might tempt me into changing my mind to remaining as part of the UK but I think it could honestly be a case of the damage has been done.
edit on 28-7-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Yeah I agree I don't think the EU is going to come out of it unscathed either but I think given that they are a $18 Trillion economy I think they can weather the storm better than we can.

The Eurozone is on the brink of recession, so a hard Brexit just compounds the problems in the EU. If the EU really represented their constituency then they would be a bit more flexible to get a good deal for all parties.

After the UK leave the EU the GDP of the EU will be $15 trillion and they go from the biggest economy to the third biggest. If the result of their intransigence leads to the UK revolving away from the orbit of the EU, then there will be even greater harm to the EU, not least in insularity. In a complex world the EU needs cordial relations and partners.

It's interesting that the discussion over Brexit usually excludes the nations states within the EU. We already refer to the EU as the primary body which is over and above the nation states. Where's Poland, or Italy in these assessment of impact? Where's the Spanish tomato if the EU play hard-ball, because it won't be in the plates of people in Newcastle.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Interesting answer, nice one 👍
It's a tricky one for sure, and if I was a Scot I'd possibly feel the same, hard to know because I'm not in that situation.
I will say though, if the Scottish people want to leave then I'd wish you good luck, a prosperous neighbour is always better than a poor one.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Turns out Trump was right as well calling May's negotiating strategy stupid, he must have known what we didn't, that she never threatened no deal while haggling with the EU officially.
I'm currently selling a rare item and asking way over the market value, but Google it and there is only 3 or 4 for sale in the world...I've stated multiple times in the listing that no offers at all even though I am skint, but still I get stupid emails asking will I accept hundreds less ffs 😂
No sale is better than a cheap sale and I mean it lol

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Silure

Every single person with even the most basic understanding of negotiating tactics knew that May's strategy was stupid.
It was hardly a state secret that No Deal was never mentioned.
Trump was by no means unique or visionary in his assessment.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Star from me lol, but personal admission, I'll be totally honest, I thought what she was giving large about no deal/bad deal in public was her strategy behind the scenes as well, no wonder they brushed her off with a crap deal.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

There are already rumours of representatives from the elected governments of nations within the EU approaching Boris and making polite enquiries about how a No Deal can be avoided.
These people know that a No Deal would be at least as harmful to the constituent nations of the EU as would be to the UK.

It should have been our ace in the hole from Day One of negotiations.

If true, then the very fact these approaches are being made shows just how fragile the EU is and how dictatorial and unwilling to compromise it is.

I think Boris and his team could well deliver some sort of meaningful Brexit, with or without a deal.

May was handed a poisoned chalice but her dithering and inability to come up with a strong and structured negotiating policy bordered on the criminally inept.
But I think we should remember that she was surrounded on all sides by people who were using Brexit for personal advancement, that party politics was deemed more important than acting upon the people's wishes and that she was working within a system whereby 60% of consitiuencies voted for Brexit yet 80% of the elected personnel were Remainers.

My concerns about Boris are about his personal unsuitability to such a role and his post-Brexit intentions and policies.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

We have to honour the referendum even though I lost, in my opinion. All this talk for another vote just makes a mockery of a referendum, heck, even the euro elections recently, if they had been a general election under first past the post then the Brexit party would have had the most MP's.
I completely accept the votes of the people so far, my own constituency voted overwhelmingly to leave, and for the Brexit party.

Agree about what Boris does after, but I'll take him leading the nation over Corbyn any day.

Sidenote, did you see that damp squid of a protest for remain in London last week? Lmfao they've been plugging it for months and only a few thousand turned up, in good weather as well!

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I was reading that apparently Phill Hammond is plotting with Labour and other rebel Tories to block a no-deal.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Crazy times in UK politics for sure. Anything can happen, I wonder what the odds for a no deal Brexit are in the bookies, may pop in on my way for a pub Sunday roast in a bit.
Edit, single bloke obviously, no way I'd ever cook one for myself...better enjoy it while I can in case it's only cabbage and potatoes after 31st of October 😱😂
edit on 28-7-2019 by Silure because: See "edit"

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Brexit has made strange bed partners; Hammond, Corbyn, Swinson....who'd have thought it?

If it was up to me there would be a few adornments on Westminster Bridge as a warning to other's about ignoring the people's wishes.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Lmfao, is that called sedition or treason??? You get my vote whatever

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Fecking go on holiday for a week and come home to this nonsensical twat that hands out domestic, nevermind other abuse, like sweeties as PM???!!!

It's not like i did not ken it was on the cards but if that's not the Joker i don't know what is!

edit on 28-7-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

It's interesting that the discussion over Brexit usually excludes the nations states within the EU. We already refer to the EU as the primary body which is over and above the nation states. Where's Poland, or Italy in these assessment of impact? Where's the Spanish tomato if the EU play hard-ball, because it won't be in the plates of people in Newcastle.

Isn't that one of the reasons we are leaving??

The only voices heard in the EU. are Germany and France ......

Although I'll give it to you that Nigel does try
but they dont/wont listen.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

lol, imagine the odds betting Trump and BJ both leaders, 500-1 for sure!
We are in crazy times.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

It's another sort of ""odds"" that bother me where twats like that are concerned.

Like the odds where even more poor people are apt to get properly shafted.

Crazy does not even begin to cover our predicament, it's like the blind leading the fecking blind!

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Now my issue is this;

The people of the UK as the United kingdom, voted to leave the EU, however the people of Scotland as a nation voted to remain.

I think the people of my village voted to remain too. Not sure why we should be treated differently in the collective democratic process.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi Lmao! My tribe voted leave, I backed the wrong horse. I absolutely respect the vote though, I knew full well what the doom threats were from the remain camp, which is why I went with status quo, not leave.
Now we are eventually leaving though I've embraced it and actually feel excitement, the people spoke, twice if you count the EU election, when I'm stuck on a runaway train I'll choose excitement not fear. Sick of that in my life cold war/ira/wmd's/Muslims/economic meltdown, meh, and I actually like Boris' front in the face of the EU...breath of fresh air, confidince in our nation.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Lol, I'm one of them poor people and life is alright, sure I miss having loads of money back in the pre injured legs days but I love life. I don't have to pay council tax (property taxes to US friends), I get £68 per week unemployment insurance and have to find gas, electric, water, food and whatever else I need out of that. Food costs #### all from Aldi, pasta, spuds, fresh fruit blah, and I only have one pint with mates on the weekend, today was a bottle of Bishops Finger ale at my mates house and he gave me a lift home so bonus.

I buy bacci from the dodgy corner shop tax free, make a pouch last 3 and half weeks, and treat myself to a smoke off my best mate who is a trader, and usually on tick lol, but he never keeps count because trust, and I often say no mate I had more the other day remember 😂

I pay my neighbour in a smoke or whatever to use his wifi and everything is good.
Charity shop bargain clothes, public library, free health care and prescriptions because my income is lower than whatever universal credit is, free dentist, and soon a disabled bus pass so I can travel all of England for free!

I often wonder who these poor people starving are, my mobile phone cost 8 quid from Argos, and is £1 a week top up for 25 minutes, 50 texts, and 10meg internet, which is cool coz I can read ATS all day as it is text based browser lol again.

Yep, I remember poverty in the 70s and 80s, piss poor, no central heating, darned clothes, 3 basic meals a day, beans on toast, jam sandwiches for school, I'm nowhere near that poverty, and although I've been a higher rate tax payer living the good life, I still don't feel poor, just can't buy all the shiny things I want.
...and being a cripple ain't the easiest to even get a job interview, it is what it is, but I'm still rich as ##### compared to 90%+ people in the world 👍
edit on 28-7-2019 by Silure because: Damn that autocorrect lol

Edit, Oh, and I have to pay a fiver a week for some previous council tax I owed from when I first became unable to walk properly, went to bailiffs first but they wanted loads so I told them to go #### themselves and started paying direct into the councils bank account lol again. I let them in as well laughing saying go lads take the lot, you'll get a quid for my 35 year old fridge freezer, may be 20 quid for the sofa set lmao, they left and gave up on me so I just pay the council direct and they can't stop me doing it that way, and no court will nick me for refusing to pay 😂
edit on 28-7-2019 by Silure because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I was about in the 80s myself mate and remember Thatchers era.

Which was about as much fun as a reverse crap.

Just because you cannot see the poverty does not mean it no longer exists im afraid.

To think otherwise is simply folly. What do you require 300,000 people turning up on your doorstep and declaring the socioeconomic predicament?

If only it was that simple.

Well done for making ends meet all the same, sounds like you live on a pittance.
edit on 28-7-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join