It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Jonson Elected as New Prime Minister of The UK.

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: ADSE255

a reply to: ADSE255

What was inevitable?

The new PM. Read a strange article about Boris being the last PM. Don't know what that was all about.

The thinking is that the union will break up so he could be the last PM of the UK as it currently is. It is a very real risk

Why is it more of a risk with Johnson? The Scottish SNP clown keeps saying it because of Brexit and well, because he's got nothing actually worthwhile to say, but it was no less of a risk than under any other PM at this point, is it?

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: ADSE255

a reply to: ADSE255

What was inevitable?

The new PM. Read a strange article about Boris being the last PM. Don't know what that was all about.

The thinking is that the union will break up so he could be the last PM of the UK as it currently is. It is a very real risk

Why is it more of a risk with Johnson? The Scottish SNP clown keeps saying it because of Brexit and well, because he's got nothing actually worthwhile to say, but it was no less of a risk than under any other PM at this point, is it?

Well I think given that Boris has never been popular north of the boarder it makes it more likely that support for independence will grow. I also think that the issues with the Irish boarder and the backstop have the potential to lead to some mess in Ireland, am not saying unification will happen but I am saying that this Brexit mess makes it more possible than if we had voted to remain.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Regarding Scotland I am neutral, if the majority of people want independence then go for it, same with Brexit, whatever happens I'm easy. If it meant famine, pestilence, blood skies, and plagues of locusts, then yeah I'd give a toss, but there has been talk of doom all my life, from cold war, to IRA, the poverty of the 80's, and now children starving on the streets after brexit like some dystopian Victorian scene in an oil painting.
Meh, I'll still be able to buy good Scotch, and visit other countries. I've travelled more around the world than the EU anyway.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
An dunk

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The Scots are not going to vote for independence.
They might, in general, have a chip on their shoulder about the English, but they are not stupid.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

True though mate, if BJ, or BawJaw as you call him lol, is the straw which breaks the backs of your people then good genuine heartfelt luck from me 👍
We'll all still be mates as people, I don't really give a #### which flag rules over me, we share an island as people, not whoever Baw Bags we vote in to run the shop. Same Ireland, republic or North, we are all some dysfunctional family and will always back each other against say France or Germany...it's a tribal thing, and always has been 😀

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 04:29 AM
link   
As this came out last week......

Barnier says May never threatened no-deal during Brexit talks.

The EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said Theresa May never threatened a no-deal exit during more than two years of negotiations with Brussels, confirming accusations from Brexiters that the prime minister was never truly prepared to walk away from talks.Mr Barnier’s remarks show that Mrs May’s public insistence during her leadership that “no deal is better than a bad deal” was never reflected in her negotiating strategy.

www.ft.com...

Shows her commitment to her initial statement of *No deal is better than

a bad deal.* Proof (IF any required?) she remained a remainer at heart?

And THREE whole years wasted in limbo.

edit on 28-7-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Even as someone who doesn't support a No-Deal thats #ing stupid not to at the very least discuss it as a possibility when negotiating to push the EU a bit harder.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Its the very reason I think BJ will force some decent deal out of the EU at the last minute, they are scared about it now because no deal hurts them as well.
I voted remain but believe in democracy as voted for UK wide. I also believe the UK can pull it off and I love BJ's passion and confidence...never voted Tory in my life but I'll take BJ over Corbyn any day!

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Silure

Its the very reason I think BJ will force some decent deal out of the EU at the last minute, they are scared about it now because no deal hurts them as well.

I would like to be able to share your optimism but I do not, I think we are going to crash out with no-deal and it will be massively damaging to the UK economy. Time will tell I guess.

I also believe the UK can pull it off and I love BJ's passion and confidence...never voted Tory in my life but I'll take BJ over Corbyn any day!

I thought you were just going to vote for yourself

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:09 AM
link   

lmao yes, I can get ten mates to nominate me easy, just gotta find a spare 500 quid first to pay the deposit I am sure to lose to stand for MP 😂

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   
In any negotiation, you have to have the option of walking away.

As soon as our government spent £9m of our money on a leaflet that only argued for us remaining in the EU, it failed for me. If the government of the day doesn't support leaving the EU (apparently 75% do not) then why give the people the vote on it. We are in this mess because they gave the people the vote and then over the next few years did everything they could to not abide by the result.

Their tactics have been;

The continued scare tactics concerning leaving the EU, with absolutely no balance (like the leaflet)
Calling all leavers racists and bigots.
Calling their brexit the real brexit when it was nothing of the sort.
Calling for a second vote, which has now been rebranded a 'people's vote'
Calling leavers stupid and that they did not know what they were voting for.
Adding the 'deal' which was never mentioned before, it was 'remain a member of the European Union' or 'Leave the European Union"

I am reminded of the words of our then PM David Cameron.

"So as you take this decision – whether to remain or leave – do think about the hopes and dreams of your children and grandchildren.

"They know their chances to work, to travel, to build the sort of open and successful society they want to live in, rests on this outcome.

"And remember: they can’t undo the decision we take.

"If we vote out, that’s it.

"It is irreversible.

"We will leave Europe – for good.

"And the next generation will have to live with the consequences far longer than the rest of us.

"For the next two days, up and down the country…

"…in homes, in pubs, in the staff room at work, on the train on the way home…

"…the conversations will continue: in or out?

"But on Thursday, those conversations will stop.

edit on 28-7-2019 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2019 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Tortuga

Well put 👍
As I said, I voted remain but lost so I have to support leave or democracy means nothing in my mind.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I would like to be able to share your optimism but I do not, I think we are going to crash out with no-deal and it will be massively damaging to the UK economy. Time will tell I guess.

And the EU will not come out of it unscathed either....... Its a double edged

sword and like every divorce, there are no winners in the short term, however

recovery and success depends on the will to move on and succeed.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silure
Same Ireland, republic or North, we are all some dysfunctional family and will always back each other against say France or Germany...it's a tribal thing, and always has been 😀

Yet the Republic did not support the UK during WW2 and their association with Nazi Germany was construed as pro-Nazi, and the IRA certainly negotiated with the Nazis. Scotland have a history of alliance with the French, known as the Auld Alliance. An alliance that ensured English Scottish conflict, for example Scottish attacks on the English e.g. Battle of Flodden.

Nowadays, the Republic of Ireland is totally subservient to, and dependent on, the EU. Their premier displays no liking for the UK and his rhetoric seems designed to annoy and derail any progress.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

And the EU will not come out of it unscathed either....... Its a double edged

sword and like every divorce, there are no winners in the short term, however

recovery and success depends on the will to move on and succeed.

Yeah I agree I don't think the EU is going to come out of it unscathed either but I think given that they are a $18 Trillion economy I think they can weather the storm better than we can.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Fair point 👍
I'll still always cheer for any of our English speaking 'home' nations in say football or rugby world cups or whatever, and it wasn't that long ago UK bailed out Ireland with an emergency bargain rate loan to get them out of the poo. Ungrateful bleeders lol

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Yeah I agree I don't think the EU is going to come out of it unscathed either but I think given that they are a $18 Trillion economy I think they can weather the storm better than we can.

I dont agree with you....... they are loosing their 2nd? largest financial

contributor, and of the 27 remaining countries more than half are receivers

rather than contributors, and there are a few very discontented countries

on the verge of exiting who require placating ..

Just before the referendum

SWITZERLAND withdrew its long-standing EU membership application a
week before Britons voted for Brexit as it was claimed “only lunatics” would
want to join the bloc at that time,
newly-resurfaced reports reveal.
www.express.co.uk...

The EU is an explosion waiting to happen ....... We have to leave before

the big bang happens!!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Time will tell whose right, I think the UK is going to be hit much harder by a no-deal than the EU, I think both will take a hit I just think its the EU is going to have a black eye and cracked rib but the UK is going to be in ICU for a few years.

Really though I think the entire global economy is #ed and is just waiting to collapse so in my view we're all doooooooomed no mater what.
edit on 28-7-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Say if BJ pulls off some great deal at the last minute, would you still want to leave the UK?
Genuine question, not being a dick or anything.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join