It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Jonson Elected as New Prime Minister of The UK.

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xabi87
Also, the Tories keep winning elections because you daft bastards keep wasting your votes on the #ing SNP. You want rid of the Tories? Vote Labour. Always been the way, and always will be the way.

No they keep winning elections because our votes are pretty much irrelevant since we are held by an electoral hostage

all you need in England is 6 million voters to vote tory and scotlands vote is worthless

its not representational democracy !

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Xabi87

And stop making out that the Scottish are some sort of different breed, and culture to the rest of us.

Dude, we are a different breed though.....

Actual picture of me last weekend.

totally different breed mate.

Hell even the word breed means something different up here.

What have I told you about posting my pictures and pretending to be me ?

Shockin mate

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Most people in Liverpool have an Irish, Scottish or Welsh background, we are basically the mutts of England ha. But it's a similar story in most English cities... Which is my point, we are all the same and it's annoying to see some Scottish people lump all the English in with the Tory voting bellends in the South.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Aye money turns brother against brother !

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
So you guys are not allowed to vote Labour?

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

we are all the same and it's annoying to see some Scottish people lump all the English in with the Tory voting bellends in the South.

To be fair I totally get why this would be annoying but please understand this doesn't excuse claiming that Scotland doesn't have its own culture. I 100% agree with you on this being annoying but its more about how you are going about it that I disagree with.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I understand the point you are making but the same can also be said about many of the regions within England and the rest of the UK.

Take the North East; we have our own foods, own music and slang.

But we all share so much more.

There is more that unites us than there is that divides us.
Perhaps its time we started emphasising that.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I understand the point you are making but the same can also be said about many of the regions within England and the rest of the UK.

Take the North East; we have our own foods, own music and slang.

But we all share so much more.

There is more that unites us than there is that divides us.
Perhaps its time we started emphasising that.

Spot on! That's what i have been trying to say. We have much more in common than we do differences.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I agree, there are micro-cultures within even cities themselves.

I also agree there is more than unites us than divides us but Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland we all have our own unique aspects of our culture that makes them unique.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

we are all the same and it's annoying to see some Scottish people lump all the English in with the Tory voting bellends in the South.

To be fair I totally get why this would be annoying but please understand this doesn't excuse claiming that Scotland doesn't have its own culture. I 100% agree with you on this being annoying but its more about how you are going about it that I disagree with.
You do have a Scottish culture, but it's been watered down into a UK culture over the hundreds of years. Also, most of what gets sold as Scottish culture is just sterotype # to sell # to tourists, such as Kilts, curly ginger wigs ect.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   

You do have a Scottish culture, but it's been watered down into a UK culture over the hundreds of years. Also

Not really there is a shared UK culture but Scottish culture remains unique to that.

Also, most of what gets sold as Scottish culture is just sterotype # to sell # to tourists, such as Kilts, curly ginger wigs ect.

Yes Scottish culture attracts lots of tourists who want to go hunt Nessie with a "Jimmy" hat but also a lot of that is part of our culture. I have wore my Kilt so far 3 times this year, its not a steotype to sell # to tourists its a big part of our national identity.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

And we should be proud of our diversity and national/regional traits and customs....but neither should we ignore the many common bonds that unite us and that tie us together in a way and extent unlike any other nation/union.

We spend far too much time on the negatives and far too little time on the positives.

Further discussion will have to wait till another time; its sunny, its Friday and I'm going to the pub soon.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Not really there is a shared UK culture but Scottish culture remains unique to that.

There are a host of cultural differences between all parts of the UK, and even within those parts. I think that's well acknowledged. Surveys of UK societal attitudes finds close alignments. The values of you average Scot is the same as your average bod from Cornwall, or Warwickshire, or Pembrokeshire, or wherever.

Nationalism is about finding difference, often divisive difference. The Scottish nationalists are not immune to popularism when it comes to their divisive politics. Tory is code for “English” most of the time. Trying to make the Scots different is shoddy politics.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Scotland gave up voting labour when they took us into Iraq despite our entire nation protesting on the streets

we also stopped voting labour when they turned into the red tories and stopped representing the working classes

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
And thats why we got the Tories, well done. You showed em.
edit on 26-7-2019 by Xabi87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

And we should be proud of our diversity and national/regional traits and customs....but neither should we ignore the many common bonds that unite us and that tie us together in a way and extent unlike any other nation/union.

We spend far too much time on the negatives and far too little time on the positives.

Further discussion will have to wait till another time; its sunny, its Friday and I'm going to the pub soon.

Enjoy those pints Freeborn!

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

There are a host of cultural differences between all parts of the UK, and even within those parts. I think that's well acknowledged. Surveys of UK societal attitudes finds close alignments. The values of you average Scot is the same as your average bod from Cornwall, or Warwickshire, or Pembrokeshire, or wherever.

Nationalism is about finding difference, often divisive difference. The Scottish nationalists are not immune to popularism when it comes to their divisive politics. Tory is code for “English” most of the time. Trying to make the Scots different is shoddy politics.
Yeah exactly, we all have our little differences, but nowhere in the UK is so different that they need to split the country up. Scottish trying to get all Basque or Catalan on us.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   

No we got the tories thanks to the millions of idiots in England who vote based on their wallets
rather than with logic , reason, or compassion for their fellow man .

We keep getting tories who start something , everyone gets involved then they jack it

joining the EU , then brexit , both tories policies

why the tories keep winning

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

its not a country , its a union of 4 countries

we can go be independent if we like , we joined the union by our own will , and we can leave by our own will

we do not need permission from the British government

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

No we get the tories because rich arseholes in the UK all vote with their wallets and care not for their fellow man !

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join