It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Jonson Elected as New Prime Minister of The UK.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Let me introduce you all to the next prime minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britian…

Or to give him his full name, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, yes Pfeffel, our new prime minister, just your average working-class lad from London. Born in New York City to a family of wealthy journalists, descended from King George II in Manhattans upper-east-side in 1964 he has been a familiar face in British politics for decades. His parents send him to Ashdown house before he was packed of too the local comprehensive at Eaton College before heading off to Oxford to study classics where he joined the Bullingdon Club

Here he is actually with some of his buddies from uni, just your average, UK Lads out for a bit of fun in 1980’s britian….

Included amongst Boris’s uni chums include, (1) George Osborne, former Chancellor; (2) writer Harry Mount, the heir to the Baronetcy of Wasing (3) Chris Coleridge, the descendant of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, the son of Lloyds’ chairman David Coleridge, the brother of Conde Nast managing director Nicholas Coleridge (4) German aristocrat and managing consultant Baron Lupus von Maltzahn, (5) the late Mark Petre, the heir to the Barony of Petre; (6) Australian millionaire Peter Holmes a Cour;(7) Nat Rothschild, the heir to the Barons Rothschilds and co-founder of a racy student paper with Harry Mount (8) Jason Gissing, the chairman of Ocado supermarkets.

Following his time with his buddies in Oxford he was fired from his job at The Times before being snapped up by Max Haistings of the Daily Telegraph and became their Brussels correspondent, where it I said he developed his euro-scepticism. His former boss even came to Boris’s aid to provide him a reference for his future job as PM in a essay published in the British press entitled “I was Boris Johnsons Boss: He is utterly unfit to be Prime Minister”

By the end of the 1990’s he had become quite the Tv personality appearing on the liks of Have I got news for you and other TV Shows. He moved on from the Telegraph to becoming editor of The Spectator but understanding he would drop his political ambitions. In two years, however, he had become MP for the seat of Henley, promising that he would step down from the Spectator – but Boris stayed on for four years. Then from 2008 to 2016 he serve as Mayor of London and following this launched his failed attempt to run for PM but lost. Following this he served as Foreign Secretary until resigning in 2018 unhappy with the governments approach to Brexit.

And now Boris has finally achieved his goal and has been democratically elected by the people of the UK (well about 180,000 Tories) to be the new Prime minister.

Writing in The Sun tabloid, Johnson called Obama a “part-Kenyan president” — referring to the birth country of Obama’s father — and said the president had an “ancestral dislike of the British empire.”

On Putin Johnson once said...

“Despite looking a bit like Dobby the House Elf, he is a ruthless and manipulative tyrant,”

Then there was this

Johnson was forced to apologize for a 2002 newspaper column in which he used several racist words to describe the then-Prime Minister Tony Blair’s visits to other countries.

He suggested Blair would be greeted “with crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies” — an offensive term for a black child. He added that when the prime minister touched down in the Congo, the “tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles.”

He also once said that Hillary Clinton looks like a sadistic nurse wrote a limerick about the Turkish president sexually interfering with a goat. But I you're a Trump supporter then don't worry, Boris hasn't left Trump out of his insults once saying that:

After Republican presumptive nominee Donald Trump called for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States,” the U.K.’s new foreign secretary took aim.

He said Trump was “clearly out of his mind” and that his “ill-informed comments are complete and utter nonsense.”

He accused the Republican of “stupefying ignorance” for suggesting immigration had created “no-go” areas of London.

“I would invite him to come and see the whole of London … except that I wouldn’t want to expose Londoners to any risk of meeting Donald Trump,” he said. “The only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump.”

Link

Here is Boris tackling a 10-year-old child....

Ahhh remember that time Boris told us he was so inept that he couldn't even snort a bit of Charlie properly.

But to be fair, he is a funny lad, I love this....

I have as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as of being decapitated by a frisbee or of finding Elvis.

Well looks like you got that one wrong....

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Did he used to have a Saturday morning cartoon show?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   
On a more serious note my views on this.

In short, it’s not good, I think this could break the conservative party, currently they have a very fragile majority of two with several conservative MPs threatening to leave the party over what a Boris Johnson Breixt could like. Even the Chancellor has come out publicly said he will not serve a Boris government. Boris has threatened prorogation of government to sleep walk the UK in to a no-deal Brexit.

This I really do not think is a step forward in the saga that is Brexit but rather a step back, I don’t think this makes anything any easier or clearing but rather is only further muddying the waters.

I would like to be clear though, I think that Boris is actually a smart and experienced guy despite his public persona, I just don’t think that him becoming PM is going to fix the political crisis and gridlocok that we are facing just now in the UK.

I also think that if this comes to a general election then Boris probably has the best chance of all the conservative leaders of beating Jeremy Corbyn.

As for what happens next after today, well tomorrow Theresa May will speak at PM Question’s for the last time then tender her resignation to the Queen. Boris will then ask permission to create a government, most of this is really just a formality. Government then goes for recess with only something like 25 days in parliament now left until the next Brexit deadline. I honestly cannot see Johnson negotiating anything in this short time frame. Not only that but the Tories are facing a by-election that they could lose to the lib-dems this further reducing their majority in parliament.

I also think that PM Boris only increases the chances of Scottish independence and make a break-up of the union more likely. I have to question the democracy of this, 180,000 members of the conservative party have made this decision, now that might be how our parliamentary system works but that doesn’t make it right. Boris was not voted as Prime minister by the people of the United Kindom but by a select few.

For the rest of today I expect we could see a few conservative ministerial resignations and possibly even party resignations from conservative MPs who are trying to stop a no-deal Brexit. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if this is the shorted premiership of modern times.

The mess continues.

EDIT: Just to put this quick edit in, the total number of people who voted in the leader ship contest was about 92,000 not 180,000.

I want to emphasise that I completely understand how the system for electing the UK Prime Minister works and that it is the party who chose the leader.
edit on 23-7-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Is it wrong that I'm amused by this?

I cannot wait for our guy and your guy to get together, the zany hijinks will be epic.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Is it wrong that I'm amused by this?

I cannot wait for our guy and your guy to get together, the zany hijinks will be epic.

With Vlad sitting in the corner of the room....

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I'm sorry...I have to laugh. Dont have time to go through your thread..maybe you can sum it up for me...how exactly is the prime minister chosen in UK ?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
With Vlad sitting in the corner of the room....

"Da, U.K. election iz goot, Boris is stronk Rooshen name, I approves."

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
...how exactly is the prime minister chosen in UK ?

Via a semi-aquatic farcical ceremony where a watery tart lobs a scimitar at the recipient.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I'm sorry...I have to laugh. Dont have time to go through your thread..maybe you can sum it up for me...how exactly is the prime minister chosen in UK ?

In this instance he has been chosen after the Conservative party voted for him to be the new leader of the party. That means that about 180,000 conservative party members have elected him.

We the electorate, vote for our MPs who belong to the various political parties to sit in a seat that represents our little area (constituency) in the UK, whatever party wins the most seats wins and forms a government with the leader of that party becoming Prime Minister.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I for one want BawJaws to be officially recognised as Weegie Rhyming Slang for BoJo from this day forward...

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

I for one want BawJaws to be officially recognised as Weegie Rhyming Slang for BoJo from this day forward...

Agreed, BawJaws it is!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

I feel a new found affinity with our American cousins , we now have our own blithering idiot as leader.

Time to Make Angleland Great Again.

Sorry.

I think I just heard cry's of Noooooooo ! wafting across the Channel , now get on and deliver Brexit FFS !

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

He looks like a really mean politically bully. He should do very well. Everyone loves the biggest a hole.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Make Angleland Great Again.

I prefer MEGA

Make England Great Again.

edit on 23 7 19 by Diaspar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

In this case,the members of the conservative party(no one else)all vote for him or Jeremy.
He was elected by members of his own party.
The rest of us plebs don't get a chance to vote.

I knew I should have bought those shares in cyanide capsules..

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Without getting into my own personal views on Brexit, which am sure you know by now, I think this could have the potential to make Brexit harder.

Because he is a hardline Brexiteer the remain camp in the Conservative party are going to do everything they can to prevent him leading the country out of the EU with a no-deal, make of that what you will but the reality is that his premiership could push the remainer MPs further. They are already talking about a vote of no confidence in him and he's not even had his first day on the job yet.

Its probably to early to say but he has a lot of MPs in his own party who are not going to support a no-deal and there are lots of mechanisms within parliament in place to prevent it.

Like I said I think the mess is just going to continue.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   
*Waves a kipper around*

That's all I got ... sigh

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin]
I think this could break the conservative party, currently they have a very fragile majority of two with several conservative MPs threatening to leave the party over what a Boris Johnson Breixt could like.

On the other hand, there seemed to be a serious possibilitiy that a Conservative party without Brexit would lose all its voters and break apart that way. A question of "lesser evil," then.

I have to question the democracy of this, 180,000 members of the conservative party have made this decision, now that might be how our parliamentary system works but that doesn’t make it right. Boris was not voted as Prime minister by the people of the United Kindom but by a select few.

That has always been the case, because we don't have direct Presidential elections. That line of argument is a case of special pleading, because nobody was bothered about it until they saw it wass going to elect Boris, jus as nobody fretted about the American Electoral College until they saw it electing Trump.
It ir right and good that we don't have direct Presidential elections, because the Prime Minister is not a President. He is the leader of a dominat group. In fact Prime Ministers can fail to get their own way because they are outvoted in their own Cabinets. It happened to Gladstone (Morley's Life of Gladstone, passim), it happened to Harold Wilson (Richard Crossman's Diaries of a Cabinet Minister).
So our democracy works indirectly; the voters choose their preferred dominant group, and the dominant group select their own leader. In fact the gig mistake whivh has muddied the waters was the extension of the vote away from the M.P.s. Because as far as the British constitution is cpncerned (as distinct from party constitutions) the Prime Minister holds his place by virtue of being able to muster a majority of M.P.'s.

For the rest of today I expect lots of conservative ministerial resignations and possibly even party resignations from conservative MPs who are trying to stop a no-deal Brexit. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if this is the shorted premiership of modern times.

The mess continues.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I am awaiting for the film to be released.

" A Nightmare On Downing Street "

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

On the other hand, there seemed to be a serious possibilitiy that a Conservative party without Brexit would lose all its voters and break apart that way. A question of "lesser evil," then.

I think regardless after this the UK Conservative party could be in tatters.

I would add that I know about how our UK parliamentary system works, I just really didn't want to get into in the OP.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join