It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Youtube channels lifting material from this site - have they used your material?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I came across a very popular Youtube channel that is hosted by a Canadian who preaches "peace, love unity, etc" through philosophy, freedom of speech, etc. This guy has almost 1 million subscribers and he has his own internet radio channel/internet site and does call in radio/internet shows that cover anything from politics to personal relationships. He is pleading for more people to support him b/c YT is playing around with his subscription numbers and his revenue - or something.

Well I used to listen to this guy until I caught on to some of his positions, either b/c he never covered them, minimized things, or covered other things while omitting the true cause of the problem.

The biggest issue was during one broadcast about 12-15 months ago when I watched a 2 month old video of his and I noticed something very odd. It had almost 1 million views and covered a hot political issue of that time. It was a slide show with bullet points of statistics, facts, and various things the media wasn't covering or asking, which were very important to the issue. After a few pages of slides, I got this strange feeling like I had heard this before and the very unique stats/numbers on the slides were very familiar. Well it turns out it was 100% all the numbers and stats, questions and comparisons I had made about the topic I had posted on this site, which generated many pages of discussion. I did a search online of some of the facts he used and didn't get any hits besides ATS in the search results, except for lots that had many words excluded (where it's crossed out b/c those terms weren't in the search results).

Well I looked through a few other video's of his that I had written extensively on this board, and found 2 others that were largely copied - and he passes all this off as authentic research that he does and I always wondered how he did so much research and make, edit and publish 2-5 video's a day. Well now I know.

So as he pleads for people to send more money because it is SO expensive to sit in front of a camera w/ a blank wall background, and never acknowledging the sources from which he gets his data, I just can't bring myself to dig deeper to support a channel like this. IDK how many other channels do this, lift people's posts from forums, blogs, comments, etc online, but I have a feeling it happens A LOT.

So the next time you make a post online, just be aware that you might find yourself being parroted by some YT personality, or even mainstream personality, and not only never be credited but have it presented as their own, unique, personal insite from which they greatly profit.

When I first realized this I made a post about it, not naming the offender, but wondering if the site sold info or allowed people to use thread info. I was really angry when it first happened but then realized it was a blessing in disguise as it outed him for what he was, so I stopped wasting my time listening to him and that was worth having some of my research/info stolen.

edit - Oh, and this wasn't a short, 1/2 page post (post length limited) either. The video was either about 60-75 mins, so it was a lot of material to cover, and I suspect if I were to go back and read all the replies in the thread, much of his "dialouge" in the video would have been sourced from the replies here. He would state the facts/data but then go off on tangents about it, much like these threads, where people add in little tidbits that aren't covered in the OP or are relatable to the data..

edit on 7 23 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Any chance of a link to the video in question or if you don’t want him getting the clicks any chance for at least a link to plagerised thread?

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I'm looking for it now. It was about the migrant caravan immediately after it broke through the Guetemalan border.

At that time I had 2-3 threads get removed, that were about that topic, which is why I started threads about the removal and if they allowed other sources to use or buy thread data.

I think this is the second thread I posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm looking for another one, but that one has a lot of the info in it that I posted before. It is possible I posted this info on someone elses thread and then started my own. But IIRC, the first one had a lot more data and was up for 2-3 days before it was canned.

This was another one that I had to double post on here b/c the first one got canned (I think it was locked first b/c of "racist" replies throughout the thread, not by me though...)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
But, where did you get these "statistics, facts, and various things"?
I'm sure you researched for that info. Perhaps they did too.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

Some things were me taking stright line calculations from Google maps, where I picked a point and another point. There could have been over 1000 different answers but mine is what they chose. There were unique word combinations that I used, that were in the YT report.

I'm not going to list the details. Believe me or not, makes no difference to me. I spent enough time months ago and came to the conclusion it was 100% ripped off from what I wrote. When I get my hard drive back from data recovery, I'll have all my posts, even the deleted ones in all their drafts available, but 4TB is expensive and it's going to take some time. But at the time, I had the data and there were over 50 unique measurements, statements, etc that were on the YT video, among other generalities that many other posts & online articles covered, but the bulk of the video, the meat of the information, was ripped right from my post.

I'm not wasting time digging it up, I've got other projects I'm working on. This just hit a nerve when he started whining about how hard he works doing research and other BS and wanted people to donate more & more often.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

Some things were me taking stright line calculations from Google maps, where I picked a point and another point. There could have been over 1000 different answers but mine is what they chose. There were unique word combinations that I used, that were in the YT report.

I'm not going to list the details. Believe me or not, makes no difference to me. I spent enough time months ago and came to the conclusion it was 100% ripped off from what I wrote. When I get my hard drive back from data recovery, I'll have all my posts, even the deleted ones in all their drafts available, but 4TB is expensive and it's going to take some time. But at the time, I had the data and there were over 50 unique measurements, statements, etc that were on the YT video, among other generalities that many other posts & online articles covered, but the bulk of the video, the meat of the information, was ripped right from my post.

I'm not wasting time digging it up, I've got other projects I'm working on. This just hit a nerve when he started whining about how hard he works doing research and other BS and wanted people to donate more & more often.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

How do you know this is not a false positive. Maybe he got the information from the same people people on ATS got it from. I think it's called the "echo chamber". Seriously, I'm not making this up. The echo chamber is called the "echo chamber".

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Op said that he looked up the statistics that the yt guy did, and the only references were from his posts on ATS...

No one reads the OP?

Youd be surprised op, if he considers he can generate revenue off the backs of others work, I'd bet on him actually being a member here for ease of access to his next 'researched' content.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop
Op said that he looked up the statistics that the yt guy did, and the only references were from his posts on ATS...

No one reads the OP?

Youd be surprised op, if he considers he can generate revenue off the backs of others work, I'd bet on him actually being a member here for ease of access to his next 'researched' content.

I got curious when I was seeing 5 new video's a day, all with new research "he" supposedly did. I was wondering how he was doing all this research, making the presentation material, shooting the video and editing it & publishing it all in a day, then again the next day.

I really don't care what other people on this board think. I spent plenty of time writing what I did, researching my data and 2 days after my post, the video he published came out. It even had the same "tone" as my post. Heck, I even started a thread back then asking the mod's and admin if they allowed some companies to buy info/threads for their own use.

If people don't want to take my word for it, I couldn't care less. If I had a specific ax to grind with the channel, I would have outed them back then or now, but I'm not even doing that. So there seem little incentive for me to make a claim other than me noticing what is actually happening and telling the rest of the board what is/has been going on. But I suspect there are members who are part of it either working directly for these channels, gather data for them/report good threads, or something. They'll try to make is sound like this is BS, but they have no leg to stand on other than making baseless claims or excuses.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

No one reads the OP?

sent you a message

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Silly me...I thought that was why we all came here...to share the wealth.

What you will hear explained I call a cyclical Vlar Global Continental Displacement Wave Event.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 23-7-2019 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

If I had enough to show that he's using your content from another forum, I'd absolutely alert the youtube gestapo about it, he could be making money off your content..

idk how any of that works, but youtube don't seem shy of letting a company dish out 400 infringement notices a day to a single user, and counting, that if they dispute 3 and fail they lose their channel. You can't beat that sort of tactic. And they side with the accuser first, meaning any monies from the content goes to the accuser till it is settled.

Maybe dm him and tell him you're onto him and you want a 50/50 cut. And if he refuses then convince him that you have a team of lawyers ready to take him out... lol, even if he's not doing anything wrong, you might make some coin.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
Silly me...I thought that was why we all came here...to share the wealth.

What you will hear explained I call a cyclical Vlar Global Continental Displacement Wave Event.

www.youtube.com...

Well, if you, in your spare time went to the trouble to collate information, line things up so others could ascertain them, and spent the effort most people simply do not do, and someone else stole your work and was getting money for it, when all they did was plagiarise.. well you'd be a little miffed also, right?

Besides I thought it was against ATS policy for third party websites to take content posted on ATS and profit from it.

ionno... I'm just sippin' wine and eating peanuts.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Kind of like what you've done but in reverse?

See your topic here;
How to change political laws on guns - specifically suppressors

Source;

You've taken direct information from the video and presented it as your own.

Now I may assume that you haven't done this disingenuously but rather to share the information you found interesting.
However, you didn't credit, sight or link the source information.

Stones and glass houses and all that.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I was under the impression that all things posted on ATS is the property of the Above network LLC.
edit on 23-7-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I appreciate ya' man, but thread fail. Whiny. Unsubstantiated when asked for proof. Reveals a partial ego motive rather than caring that the subject matter gets out.

If you're producing content for the world it's gonna happen. And, yes, of course it's true that it does happen. Even among threads on this site.

It begs the bigger question: Is intellectual property a "thang" or is it a tool of the man and a major contributor to wars and other stuff. As a creative I haven't even answered that question fully for myself, but I do know that we're all a product of many people's ideas/influence and thus so is our content.

And, I've seen youtubers that make a living doing that and when it's a straight rip off it turns me off so don't get me wrong. Some of the forum members concepts here even make it into T.V./Movies/Books. I do personally believe in citing and giving credit...but more importantly: If the information has social worth nothing matters except that it gets to as many ears as possible right?

Having said all that, I do appreciate many of your threads and what you bring to the table.

edit on 23-7-2019 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

You should expect that pretty much anything posted online to be copied.
Many people would like to take credit for the works of others.

People are just not very original and like to copy, it is human nature.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
[/yvid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmvQJK4fk4M

TEST test a quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

edit on 23 7 2019 by foxhound2459 because: To much redbull

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Sovaka

I was waiting for someone to post this. Thanks!

OP? If you feel so strongly about it, take it up with the guy and YT. He is making money off of
research which you choose not to.

Everything posted on the internet becomes property of someone else the moment you hit "post".

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Tell that to Sleeper.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join