It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Jupiter Moon May Harbor Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Richard Greenberg, of the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory Has just released a new book that outlines a very solid theory showing how life on Europa can survive.
The biggest problem that scientists has been trying to come up with an explanation that would allow life forms to survive in an sealed-off sea ocean as is thought to be present on Europa.
He theorizes that the ocean can get it's needed oxygen form periodically rising to the surface
Granted, Europa does not have any appreciable atmosphere, but it is thought that due to the Radiation that Europa receives from Jupiter breaking down the components that make up the ice to form O2.

dsc.discovery.com
Jupiter's second-largest moon, Europa, may have more than water under its fissured, icy crust: there may be life hiding in the cracks, said a Europa researcher who has come out with a new book summing up decades of exploration.

"Europa's biosphere, if there is one, is pretty close to the surface," said Richard Greenberg, of the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory.

Greenberg's book, "Europa, The Ocean Moon" (Springer-Praxis Books) is just now the shelves.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I personally believe that there are simple life forms living under the ocean there.
Look at what life here on earth can adapt to, such strange environments such as that which survives in and around
Dark Smokers. Life there lives in a methane / hydrogen rich environment while also ignoring the 150 degrees to 170 degrees. The environment is extremely alkaline, compared to the high acid levels at black smokers. Add to that the atmospheric that they are subjected to.
I hope that NASA will be able to go ahead and send a probe to Europa to verify if there is indeed “Life Out There”

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 4-3-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Life elswere than Earth. I am hoping for the discovery of life to happen first on Mars in the form of bacteria frozen in the caps. I do hope we send GOOD underwater probes to Jupiters moon. The discovery of complex cellular life is much more likely there then anywhere else in our solar system.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I have received an U2U stating that not only the subject line but the intro are biased.
How is this? Jupiter Moon May Harbor Life is also the title of the news article as is on the Discovery web site.
The intro, I believe follow the guidelines and is only outlines the story in my own words. How is the intro Biased.
It does not make sense to me.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Thank you to the Mods for allowing the voting to start again.
I am though still in the dark s to what the Bias issue was that is in the Title and in the Intro. All I changed was "He believes" to "He theorizes" in the intro. Was that the whole problem? The reason that I even used that phraseology waas it is how it is stated in the story.
Please help me understand what the underlying issue is / was as I would like to continue posting news type articles and would like to avoid these types of issues (as well as getting the negative votes that it engenders).
Thank you

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Don't know why that was done kenshiro - but a few thoughts. ...The piece is almost more about promoting a book than a news item about a theory or discovery. ...The first para generally deals with facts critical to the story: who, what, where, why, when. ...Discussion and other info follows.

....I would have trouble writing this article without making it a book promo - which is not really news.

Good work tho - and the hypthesis is very interesting and important.

Please keep trying.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
lake vostock (antartica)has been sealed for millions of years and it is known that NASA is trying ways of peicering the crust without contaminating the water. It is believed to habour lkife that outdates humans. it lies untouched and hopefully untainted by mankind?

I dont have time right now to give you all my info but check it out, very interestung indeed.

This is a predesessor to any europa mission.

Regards boondog.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Oh..and i forgot to mention that this project has been going on for years, so this Dr is not saying anything new or unheard of;

I sent an email to a Dr Martin ?????? at Bath/Bristal Uni in the Uk (cannot remember now) and never got a reply, he was a expert in the field of sub-glacial life forms and the like. Must of thought i was a wierdo?

I will get to work on monday and post the original email i sent, Just got in from work so a bit tired and off out to the pub in a mo.

Regards

BoonDog

join