It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Has The Golden Ratio Been Suppressed In Academia ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I think it's the idea of what the golden ratio means and how it exists.

It's existence hasn't been suppressed but it's deeper meaning/mystery seems to be disregarded.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Double post!

edit on 22-7-2019 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

who is making us ...

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Yeah, they taught that in my early art courses in community college, very interesting. Also quite interesting how the Fibonacci series is an algorithm, a term now used almost exclusively to describe software programs, particularly in AI programming.

The golden rule was a standard for art and architecture almost since the beginning and is taught in art history classes as well as design courses. Of course, that was my college experience in the mid 1980s, it may not be taught or glossed over now a days. Somehow I doubt that considering it's importance in a number of fields of study.
edit on 22-7-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I agree that the golden ratio and associated mathematical principles are fascinating. But most institutes understand there is a difference between sharing facts and imposing a dogma. Fact: gravity. Dogma: gravity was invented to keep people from falling into space and dying. Tis a miracle

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Things that grow in a spiral nature are related to Pi, say it ain’t so! I learnt it in high school they just never told me it was because of god. I was taught it’s a efficient way to grow exponentially which is why many things evolved to incorporate it.

a reply to: Blue_Jay33

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
It's existence hasn't been suppressed but it's deeper meaning/mystery seems to be disregarded.

Er,only if you think that there is a deeper meaning. The YT video bangs on about the golden ratio proving "intelligent design", but that's unproven and a very big leap of faith. In fact, from a maths perspective the Golden Ratio is just maths.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Phi is an irrational number... meaning it has an infinite number of sequences that never repeat in the same way. The same with Pi. This means they have an infinite amount of data, because there is never a repeating sequence over the span of infinity. These numbers and patterns being involved in nature are a clear example of an infinite intelligence being involved in creation.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The Golden Ratio (Phi) is absolutely NOT hidden; neither are Fibonacci numbers.

Phi is, for example, central to Architectural Design and Classical Painting and understanding how plants grow. An excellent non-academic discussion can be found in this book: The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi, the Extraordinary Number of Nature, Art, and Beauty.

Fibonacci numbers are taught in High School math and computing classes. They are the 'text book' example for explaining recursion in programming. There is almost always a question having to do with Fibonacci numbers on the SAT exam. While not really 'about' Fibonacci numbers, they are discussed in the Pulitzer Prize winning book 'Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid'.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I was trying to find a connection between nature here on earth and how things form in outer space, Fibonacci and ET. So I launched this thread and two guys come forward and try to muck up the entire thread. I simply asked if ice crystals in outer space follow the Fibonacci sequence. Its a simple yes or no answer. They never answered but wrote a book on that thread basically saying this and that and they don't understand the question. Sure. I was always wondering whether they are trying to tamp down the existence of a supreme being; not ET but "God". My mind is made up. Great Thread !!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A remarkable discovery: All Solar system periods fit the Fibonacci series and the Golden Ratio. Why Phi?

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton
Phi is an irrational number... meaning it has an infinite number of sequences that never repeat in the same way. The same with Pi. This means they have an infinite amount of data, because there is never a repeating sequence over the span of infinity. These numbers and patterns being involved in nature are a clear example of an infinite intelligence being involved in creation.

NO.

Infinite sequence does not mean infinite data.

31415 is just a meaningless number. We need to give it meaning in order for it to be data.

So lets say that 31415 encodes a date. Great, we now have a raw datum, a number with some meaning. But there is no context. We need to give it context in order to derive information from it.

So is our date a day count? When is day zero? OK, actually it is encoded as Mddyy. So it is March 14, 2015. Welcome to Pi Day! - Um or is it March 14, 1915? We now have information but it is incomplete - we could be a hundred (or multiples of hundred) years off.

Maybe more precision. 314159 => Mddyy(cc-10) => March 14, 1915.

An infinite sequence of numbers is just an infinite sequence of numbers. I know, I know. Since it is infinite there must be 'every thing' there encoded somehow: the entire works of Shakespeare for example, or the answer to life, the universe, and everything. But if 'every thing' is there, so is the antithesis of "every thing". Every question you ask, you will get every possible answer back - which is exactly the same as getting no answer at all.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I think it's the idea of what the golden ratio means and how it exists.

I mentioned this in another post. I encourage you to find a copy of The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi, the Extraordinary Number of Nature, Art, and Beauty.
(there are other excellent books, this happens to be the one I own and am familiar with).

You will find that the meaning/mystery of Phi has never been disregarded. It has fascinated humankind forever.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

So what is going on with Wikipedia
Got a link to the article so 'we' can get it fixed? That is a pretty egregious error to just let pass, and I can't find it.

and NIST calling it 2.71828...?

Again, need a link. NIST is a big resource.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

Wikipedia Link

I have lost the NIST link, but it was near the top of a search query on 'e'

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Er,only if you think that there is a deeper meaning. The YT video bangs on about the golden ratio proving "intelligent design", but that's unproven and a very big leap of faith. In fact, from a maths perspective the Golden Ratio is just maths.

Saying "only if you think that there is a deeper meaning" suggests you don't. And therefore will see it differently to others. There's nothing wrong with 2 people interpreting something differently. Especially something as open to interpretation as the Golden Ratio is.

I personally think it's a LOT more interesting than "its just maths"

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There are such things as Universal Principles, they exist regardless of any "scientific" explanation for them.

Tesla spoke of the 3 the 6 and the 9 being keys to understanding the universe. Then there's the Coral Castle.

Other esoteric disciplines explore The One, Duality of Two, Cohesiveness of Three, Strength/Stability of Four, and etc.
These disciplines seek to discover and explain these principles and their application to the world and living life.

The Golden Ratio, Fibonacci Sequences, Fractals, Sacred Geometry exhibit inexplicable phenomena in their occurrence in nature. We may recognize their appearance, we may analyze their algorithmic basis, we may determine how they manifest, but it is highly doubtful we will understand WHY these things manifest using science.

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

The lastest job application I wrote I decided to use the golden ratio for the alignments of text and objects. Right now they are deciding between me and one other candidate after having gone through 4 interviews and presentations.

I love math... there's something special about it. Universal.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa

NO.

Infinite sequence does not mean infinite data.

I disagree. It would take a computer literally an infinite amount of time to parse through phi or pi because there is no repeating sequence that ever emerges, i.e. the fraction 1/3 equaling 3.3333....

originally posted by: rnaa
Since it is infinite there must be 'every thing' there encoded somehow: the entire works of Shakespeare for example, or the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Those things you mention do fall under the category of every thing

But if 'every thing' is there, so is the antithesis of "every thing". Every question you ask, you will get every possible answer back - which is exactly the same as getting no answer at all.

Yes so it includes everything, and also nothing. Meaning it includes more than everything.
edit on 22-7-2019 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
A 432 Hz x 1.618= approximately 699 Hz, A slightly sharp F.
Roughly a minor 6th interval a 1/4 tone sharp.
I have snuck this one into some guitar licks.
edit on 22-7-2019 by Homefree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Because golden ratio is mostly nonsense and pseudo-science. Patterns in nature don't magically make the universe have a grand designed purpose. It's just numerical coincidence.
edit on 7 22 19 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join