It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek: Picard

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Another question ... is this New Trek canon line or not? If it is, then Vulcan is gone which would mean things fell out very differently and we have different theoretical Picard future.

I can't imagine they'd have done that, but ...

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
That was fun!

Thanks. And thanks for all our comments.

Ive always loved Star Trek.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

half right,its after the hobus super nova which took out Romulus ,but before the timeline split w the new movies. so vulcan is around and in a different time line ,piccard takes place in the original timeline post end of Nemesis and voyager

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Another question ... is this New Trek canon line or not? If it is, then Vulcan is gone which would mean things fell out very differently and we have different theoretical Picard future.

I can't imagine they'd have done that, but ...

No, you got your 'Verses confused.

Vulcan doesn't exist in Nu-Trek anymore, it does in Prime-Trek. Nero was from the Prime universe, lost his wife and kid, and took it out on Vulcan in the Nu-Trek 'verse. Not in the Prime 'verse.

In Prime Trek, Romulus (and Remus) were destroyed by a supernova. In STO & the Countdown comic series, that supernova was the sun of the Hobus system.

Stewart has had a strong hand in how this series is going. There's no way he'd let it deviate from Prime-Trek without making a hell of a lot of noise about it. The ONLY way you're getting a more canon Trek is if Michael Dorn was involved, and between the two guys there, they're as safe a canon bet as you can possibly get for a new show.

In other words, I'm not remotely worried about Star Trek: Picard not doing the franchise justice so long as Stewart is so heavily involved behind the scenes.
edit on 7/21/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

There is PC and there is PC.

When you have an engaging reason for the PC to exist in the story, then it's acceptable. When you make something PC just because you think it ought to be that way and for no other reason, it's "get woke, go broke" -- see the Ghostbusters reboot.

The world of Star Trek was built in such a way that you could suspend your disbelief and go with the PC that existed. Things like everyone having whatever they wanted, but everyone still working for the sheer joy of it and yet it all worked out Utopian well. They crafted that world well enough to sell it even though we all know what lazy SOBs the majority of people are and everyone would create Cheetos and weed and pretend they were discovering themselves as artists or guitar players and we all know it if we had such a world.

This could be very interesting. But we'll see.

What they did with Star Trek as far as the "no money" thing is they pretty much just didn't talk about it, save for the occasional superficial mention of it. They were careful never to venture into the thorny details. Until after Roddenberry died. Which is why DS9 (although it was a very good series in many ways) was the beginning of the end for Roddenberry era Trek.

Roddenberry's thing was "We'll get there somehow but we don't know how yet. And so, we will create a world in which this stuff has been figured out and fudge it a bit where we don't know how that would actually be done".

As soon as he died, they started venturing into areas he had specifically objected to having them go. Mainly because they were troublesome details that exposed the huge plot holes that existed in the whole "Everybody gets along and nobody needs money and they're all doing this for the good of all mankind" thing.

Star Trek was kind of meant to be a fantasy. I don't think Roddenberry ever wanted to be "that guy". I think obviously that artists create things that they hope will influence people. I don't think he really thought he was going to change the world. And despite the fact that he did change a lot of people, he didn't really change the basic nature of humanity or people in general.

Star Trek pretty much died with him. If you watch TNG from the first episode to the last, you can see a pretty obvious change right around the time he died (I think it was season 5). Once he was out of the way they couldn't kill off TNG fast enough because they thought delving into the kind of stuff you saw in DS9 and Voyager was more interesting. Maybe it was but it wasn't Star Trek.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

It's a little like Star Wars' current preoccupation with fuel.

Some details just don't need to be explored.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
I hope Data makes some sort of comeback. Maybe he's in the ether or whatever. Maybe the Borg stored him.

Think Spock.

Try watching the trailer will ya..

I did. All I saw were pieces of Data.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

I hope Data makes some sort of comeback. Maybe he's in the ether or whatever. Maybe the Borg stored him.

Think Spock.

Try watching the trailer will ya..

I did. All I saw were pieces of Data.

You didn't watch it through to the end, where he & Picard were playing cards at the 1:55 mark.
Picard: "I don't want the game to end."
Data (or B4): "I can see that, Captain."

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
YES!!! YES YES YES!!!

Data or B4, makes me happy in pants. Seven!!! ...and was that DS9 prominade?

I want more!!

The Doctor (or Julien), Quark, Tuvok, Riker, would be amazing also.

This could be soooo great. Please don't screw this up.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam
a reply to: Trueman

This one might actually be good enough to watch.
Still, it all depends on how PC it's going to get. Not even Data and Picard can save us from PC Trek.

Yep they completely distroyed the new twighlight zone. Hopefully they wont over pc this one.

edit on 37731America/ChicagoMon, 22 Jul 2019 22:37:16 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Link unavailable but there are others.

Can’t wait to see this.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
ditto

When this started, my son was 5 years old. Now he is 35...... Age conquers all.

I was 5 or 6 years old; when I first watched Star Trek Next Generation. Now this 34 year old is madly excited about Star Trek Picard. Watching the trailer brought up a range of emotions from the excitement of a little kid (so much for adulthood. haha) to curiosity about the fate of Picard.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

I'm the same age and this is when I started watching TNG as well.

I learned English watching TNG.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This does look fantastic and i can't wait for it to come out.
Got bored of Discovery very quickly, so i hope it's a lot better than that was (looks like it should be).

Just wish one of these new series could find a space for my favorite Star Trek character of all time....Garak

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Diaspar

A great idea.
I have long wanted to see a Romulan character in a new Star Trek TV series. Heck, Romulans are my favourite alien race/species from Star Trek Next Generation. Romualan characters are a part of Star Trek Picard. I also hope you get your wish at some stage. (Maybe Garak could guest star on the Star Trek Section 31 spin off show).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join