It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic 2020 hopeful leads prayer in apologising for being White

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Secretrooster

It's only an adult conversation if people agree with your ridiculous comments?

I never asked you to agree. I only offered my opinion.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

My father did not enslave anyone. No one in my family did. Try again. Do you apologize to your neighbor for things that did not happen to them that you have nothing to do with?

No? But I need to consider doing it because of the color of my skin?
edit on 21-7-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

originally posted by: Secretrooster

Honestly. Is it that bad for Europeans to apologize for the harm their ancestors caused? And the harm that has continued? I heard no one say “I apologize for being white”. We can’t help the race we are born into. We can try to correct the wrong of our ancestors though.

What wrongs exactly?
The slave trade perhaps? 10s of thousands, possibly even hundreds of thousands of Europeans were snatched by Islamic pirates right up till the 16th century and sold into slavery, I don’t expect any apologies from Arabs.
Or how about the American slave trade, did you know Africans were the ones who sold most of the slaves to Europeans to ship over, or how about the many black and Jewish people who also owned slaves, should all blacks and Jews also engage in self loathing and maybe even a bit of flagellation to appease the PC gods?

Show me a race or culture that hasn’t been #ty to others and then we can talk apologies.

Americans should apologise to any black descendants of slaves who also feel they would be better off in Africa, they can have their apology after they give up their American citizenship and are on a plane back to Africa.

Slavery in all forms is abhorrent but the descendants of slaves alive today are the lucky ones and don’t need any apologies

I never said Europeans are the only ones to do something horrible. That is the topic of this thread so it’s appropriate to mention.

I’m European and Native American and I don’t hate my race. I take pride in both sides and try to appreciate and observe the many different cultures within those two races.

Just because you don’t want an apology from the Arabs doesn’t mean other people feel the same way.

To say, the only way African Americans should get an apology is if they leave and go back to Africa really speaks volumes of your mindset.

What does it say about my mindset?

Let’s say 500 years ago some rich bugger killed one of my ancestors and by some hypothetical law my ancestors wife was given a fortune in compensation which led to her children becoming great merchants and set my family up as wealthy people all the way to today, should I expect an apology from the descendants of the killer or should I thank the gods of fortune that the historical injustice happened because it gave me the opportunities I have today?

And so it is with the descendants of slaves, if the feel that the historical injustices outweigh the benefits of what they have today then I feel they should be apologised to, compensated and sent back to Africa as a way of trying to balance those injustices.
If however they feel they have it pretty good in the States compared to any shythole in sub-Saharan Africa then they should probably forget the past and focus on the future

That isn’t the case though, is it?
Africans went through slavery (600,000 to start which turned into millions. Children born into it for generations. Rape, Murder),the Black codes (laws meant to restrict their freedom after the civil war), Jim Crow laws (segregation)
All this with zero compensation.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Honestly. Is it that bad for Europeans to apologize for the harm their ancestors caused? And the harm that has continued? I heard no one say “I apologize for being white”. We can’t help the race we are born into. We can try to correct the wrong of our ancestors though.

What wrongs exactly?
The slave trade perhaps? 10s of thousands, possibly even hundreds of thousands of Europeans were snatched by Islamic pirates right up till the 16th century and sold into slavery, I don’t expect any apologies from Arabs.
Or how about the American slave trade, did you know Africans were the ones who sold most of the slaves to Europeans to ship over, or how about the many black and Jewish people who also owned slaves, should all blacks and Jews also engage in self loathing and maybe even a bit of flagellation to appease the PC gods?

Show me a race or culture that hasn’t been #ty to others and then we can talk apologies.

Americans should apologise to any black descendants of slaves who also feel they would be better off in Africa, they can have their apology after they give up their American citizenship and are on a plane back to Africa.

Slavery in all forms is abhorrent but the descendants of slaves alive today are the lucky ones and don’t need any apologies

I never said Europeans are the only ones to do something horrible. That is the topic of this thread so it’s appropriate to mention.

I’m European and Native American and I don’t hate my race. I take pride in both sides and try to appreciate and observe the many different cultures within those two races.

Just because you don’t want an apology from the Arabs doesn’t mean other people feel the same way.

To say, the only way African Americans should get an apology is if they leave and go back to Africa really speaks volumes of your mindset.

Let’s say 500 years ago some rich bugger killed one of my ancestors and by some hypothetical law my ancestors wife was given a fortune in compensation which led to her children becoming great merchants and set my family up as wealthy people all the way to today, should I expect an apology from the descendants of the killer or should I thank the gods of fortune that the historical injustice happened because it gave me the opportunities I have today?

And so it is with the descendants of slaves, if the feel that the historical injustices outweigh the benefits of what they have today then I feel they should be apologised to, compensated and sent back to Africa as a way of trying to balance those injustices.
If however they feel they have it pretty good in the States compared to any shythole in sub-Saharan Africa then they should probably forget the past and focus on the future

If Africans should be compensated and sent back to Africa. Should Europeans go back to Europe?

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

originally posted by: Plotus
I will Never appologize for being WHITE, nor will I feel anything but pride for my Race.

Right, I was starting to agree with the first part of your post to an extent.

But the second part? "Pride? Race?

EDIT: By the way, you don't have to be a "bleeding-heart liberal" to decide that there is something iffy with the second part of your post...

Would it be “iffy” if said by a black or Asian person?

Society, or at least a very vocal minority of it, have deemed anything less than self loathing of whites as an expression or racism.
There is nothing wrong with being proud of the accomplishments of your ancestors or race regardless of who they are or what it is

"Proud of the accomplishments of your ancestors"?

What ancestors? They were your ancestors were they? Again, who decides who is "white" and who isn't? "Hispanic"/"Latino",for example, is apparently listed on the US Census and is an actual "term" in the United States. So those folks aren't "white" then?

So, two hundred years in the future, some little black Senegalese lad should be "proud" of Usain Bolt, a Jamaican fella, for once being the world's fastest man? Or a Chinese chap should be "proud" of the rise of Mongolians in history?

Also, at the same time as feeling "pride" for your "race", you must then also feel "shame" and "pity" for "the bad bits". I've just realised that you're almost as bad as she is. She apparently wants people to "apologise" for "the bad bits" and you want people to feel "pride" for "the good bits"?

Seriously...

So by your logic no one on earth should be proud of their race? Am I getting it right?

For me the good fat outweighs the bad when history as a whole is looked at.
In your analogy a former junkie who has gotten over their addiction and gone on to start a family and has helped 1000s of other people kick their addictions should feel nothing but shame for their entire lives?
Is this correct or am I misunderstanding you?

White means European ancestry, there are melaninly challenged people all over the world but when I say whites I am talking about European descent.
Latinos aren’t “white” unless by white you mean not black.

Why shouldn’t the Senegalese kid be proud of Usain Bolt?
The Chinese and Mongolians are a seperate people, if the Chinese kid wants to be proud of Asians then he can include Genghis

And to be clear I don’t want anyone to do anything, your thoughts are your own.
If you feel pride, shame, pity or whatever, that’s on you.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Did we watch the same video??? She asked all the WHITE people in the room to stand up and apologise, how is that not apologising because they were white?

Ahhhh... very different question there. Yes, she definitely asked them to apologize for the wrongdoings of predominantly White people because they are White. But they were not asked to apologize for being White. That's not semantics.

Here is a full transcript of that segment:

As I speak, I'm going to ask the White Americans in the room to please repeat after me. On behalf of myself, and on behalf of my country, to you and all African Americans, from the beginning of our nation's history, in honor of your ancestors and on behalf of your children, please hear this from my heart. I apologize. Please forgive us. With this prayer I acknowledge the depth of the evils that have been perpetrated against Black people in America; from slavery, to lynchings, to White Supremacist laws, to the denial of voting rights, to all the ways both large and small, all of them evil, all of them wrong, for all the oppression, and all of the injustices, I apologize. Please forgive us.

No reason to misrepresent what was actually said for a very worthy discussion could be had. Is it in any way practical or productive for a handful of people to apologize for the sins of their forbears? Or for anyone? Does it in any way help or promote the interests of the Black folks harmed in the past? Does it in any way help or promote the interests of the Black folks today? Is it in any way practical or productive for a whole nation of White people to apologize for the sins of the few? Is it in anyway practical or productive to apologize for White folks while ignoring the many Black folks who also participated in the slave racket from start to finish? Is there a collective karma for these previous actions? Will this collective karma apply to an entire race? Or an entire nation? All of humanity? Were these folks bad because they are White? Or were these just bad White folks? Is there anything inherent about White folks that makes them bad? Is there anything about White folks that makes them good? Is there anything inherent about any folks that makes them bad or good?

The black or latinos people weren’t asked to apologise.

Then make the case that Black and Latino people were also involved in the slave trade, and any other examples of how Blacks and Latinos have likewise victimized Black people as a whole, or victimized any race or demographic for that matter. It's impossible to truthfully deny that all of those things did in fact happen -- slavery, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, etc. -- and predominantly by the White people in power, to be more specific, by White MEN in power.

Likewise, it could be pointed out that other races were also targeted and oppressed by those in power of every race. The indentured servitude (more commonly applied to White immigrants, like the Irish) sure wasn't much better than slavery. And for that matter, all women -- including White women -- were targeted and oppressed by those men in power. Perhaps worst of all was the abominable child labor practices in the "civilized" northern states, or later, the industrialized cities. And though poor White folk may not have been deliberately and specifically targeted like other demographics, they have also suffered under many of the same policies and laws. So it would be quite reasonable to ask why she's blaming so many for the wrongdoings of the few.

I didn’t miss anything, those people in that room are a lost cause, not much to say about them No pity party here, just highlighting how sick Democrats and leftists in general are. Angry and disgusted yes but definitely no pity or self loathing. Not sure why you insist on the semantics (it is semantics) all the WHITE people were asked to stand and repeat an absurd apology, they were singled out because they were WHITE

Virtue signalling indeed.
edit on 21-7-2019 by Boadicea because: clarity -- added "were"

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

What wrongs exactly?

If Africans should be compensated and sent back to Africa. Should Europeans go back to Europe?

If their ancestors were taken against their will and they are unhappy with their current situation and feel its due to the historical injustice then 100% yes

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Not ONE white/black/brown/kind of white person today should apologize for anything that has happened in the past.

Jesus H Christ, we can't re-write the history of the world and all the good and bad things that have happened in order to adjust some present day moral compass being imposed on society by a EXTREMELY small fraction of the worlds population. It is the most asinine and completely idiotic crap I have ever heard.

Nothing like a good old fashioned lifestyle crutch like "racism" to let everyone play the blame game.

Feminism, Patriarchy blame, rape culture, Antifa, #blacklifematter....just to name a few groups and topics of POISON be spewed out with crap data and no truth have become nothing but excuses to NOT put on your big girl and big boy pants and face what the world is going to throw at you.

Lets not forget about Jussie Smollet and his complete lack of regard for white people in his crime against them.

All of it is the biggest load of tripe I have every listened to, read about and watched.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

What wrongs exactly?

Africans went through slavery (600,000 to start which turned into millions. Children born into it for generations. Rape, Murder),the Black codes (laws meant to restrict their freedom after the civil war), Jim Crow laws (segregation)

I’m all for slaves being compensated, I’m not even American but I’ll happily chip in to a restitution fund.
I humbly request all former slaves make themselves known to me so I can lead the call for their compensation.

Oh damn, that’s right all the actual slaves are dead by at least, what 100 years?
Today we have descendants of slaves who by virtue of the horrible things that happened to their ancestors find themselves part of the wealthiest nation the earth has ever seen and with more opportunities to make a great life for themselves than almost anyone else on the planet, some might say that’s compensation enough

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

What wrongs exactly?

If their ancestors were taken against their will and they are unhappy with their current situation and feel its due to the historical injustice then 100% yes

So only the victims should go back not the perpetrators? Seems like a very biased point of view.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   

What wrongs exactly?

I’m all for slaves being compensated, I’m not even American but I’ll happily chip in to a restitution fund.
I humbly request all former slaves make themselves known to me so I can lead the call for their compensation.

Oh damn, that’s right all the actual slaves are dead by at least, what 100 years?
Today we have descendants of slaves who by virtue of the horrible things that happened to their ancestors find themselves part of the wealthiest nation the earth has ever seen and with more opportunities to make a great life for themselves than almost anyone else on the planet, some might say that’s compensation enough

I’m not calling for compensation. I just pointed out that there hasn’t been any.

Got other things to do. Thanks for the conversation! Have a nice day.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

What wrongs exactly?

So only the victims should go back not the perpetrators? Seems like a very biased point of view.

I’m not suggesting anyone go anywhere, I’m offering it as a potential option for those who feel so strongly about historical injustices.

Your post makes no sense

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Can I get in on all the fun we are having in this thread?

First, I watched the video and not once, NOT ONCE did I hear this woman apologize for being white. Not once.

I challenge anyone to go back to that video and find exactly where anyone apologizes for being white.

Nowhere...

Having pointed out that small lie in the video headline and hence the thread headline I will now do my best to find a way to believe that it is NOT a lie.

If we are to assume that the attributes of being slavers, of being lynchers, supremacist, voting rights deniers, oppressors and all of the things mentioned in the video are innate attributes of the Caucasian race then I can agree with the headline that this woman is apologizing for being white. But I cannot.

Can anyone here?

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Irish aren't asking for compensation for the troubles their great great grandparents suffered upon coming to America.

Apologize to me for it.
edit on 21-7-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Then why did she say ONLY white people should be apologizing?

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Can I get in on all the fun we are having in this thread?

First, I watched the video and not once, NOT ONCE did I hear this woman apologize for being white. Not once.

I challenge anyone to go back to that video and find exactly where anyone apologizes for being white.

Nowhere...

Having pointed out that small lie in the video headline and hence the thread headline I will now do my best to find a way to believe that it is NOT a lie.

If we are to assume that the attributes of being slavers, of being lynchers, supremacist, voting rights deniers, oppressors and all of the things mentioned in the video are innate attributes of the Caucasian race then I can agree with the headline that this woman is apologizing for being white. But I cannot.

Can anyone here?

Yes yes, thread title should have read apologise because you are white.
By the time it was pointed out the edit window had expired but to me it’s semantics.
It was anti white virtue signalling nonsense that needs to be called out so it can be stopped.

I’m not sure I understand the thrust of your post, too many double negatives for me to keep up with

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Irish aren't asking for compensation for the troubles their great great grandparents suffered upon coming to America.

Apologize to me for it.

I am sorry for what happened to the Irish. If you are are Irish I am sorry for what happened to your ancestors.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Apologize to me for it.

Not that I'm asking anybody to apologise or condoning compensation, but it must be said that "the Irish" (whichever Irish folk actually left Eire) were not forcibly dragged kicking and screaming from Ireland against their will.

Just thought I'd clear that up...

EDIT: Also, on the topic of Irish folk, it would be strange for a white Irish chap to "apologise" for the Triangular Trade because "white people" were the baddies in that Slave Trade. Last time I checked, there was little to no participation by Irish folk or their ancestors in such historical atrocities. But Irish folk are "white" are they not?
edit on 21-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I agree Boadicea. While the thrust of the thread has been proved wrong by the video itself the rest of what it depicted was indeed disconcerting. Not so much this one event specifically but more that it reflects the whole notion of one person assuming some form of spiritual ''leadership'' intoning a prayer and the crowd following along step by step.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Just 200,000 years ago, we were all Africans.

Think about that.

I want reparations, and a cheesecake.

Reparations because I would like to have some cash especially from stupid people, and a cheesecake because I'm hungry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join