It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 Home Update 1903 stuck at 94% ...many hours later completed....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

Fair play.
I thought you were saying there's no way to avoid the auto updates.

The thing that really really annoys me about Win10 is the start menu, common complaint i know.

So i used a nice little prog called Classic Shell to create a customized Win7 version.
It was all good until the last Win10 update (1809) when it stopped auto-starting at start up.
Then i found out their not supporting Classic Shell anymore.
But i decided i'm not going to be beaten by MS, so i created my own script, plopped in start up and works like a dream.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: gallop

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Gothmog

Just as an aside....why did my desktop install 1903 in mere minutes last week?
I do have Win10 professional.....but still????????

Missed this one.
No way any Windows Update from 1809 -1903 took mere "minutes"
If it did , name your price for that laptop .

Well, it's certainly not an AMD......

*posts ray liota laughing meme.....*

I only use AMDs

Yeesh, well I hope you at least use NVidia, and not......

actually AMD cards were once renowned for being the best sha256 crypto farms.. the hd5850 was a BEAST !! I made a few hundred just mining lesser coins.

but pthooey !! get a real socket.

What , use "Radeons" instead of the new Nvidia RTX series ?
I am a serious gamer , why would I miss trying Real Time Ray Tracing ?
Radeons are good for one on a budget.
AMD excels at that
And , there are various differences in the "goodies" that do make each one likable.

NVidia for me, even with a measly gtx1060 6gb, it bottlenecks on my cpu. I'll navigate towards a new mobo and real gen chip one day... heck I only just got off a q6600, so this 2 core 4 threaded thing is a vast improvement... sad but still..

it's always the ones that don't have that think they know best.. haha... (-- me.

(forgot you can't use angle brackets on these comments fnarrr)
edit on 20-7-2019 by gallop because: MAKE IT SO WE CAN USE ANGLE BRACKETS extra DIV

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Diaspar

I find I don't really use the start menu, I use the options instead. win+s to search, typing in most of a program lists it.. win+r for run, +e explorer, etc..

I have maybe 4 apps docked in my start.. I gave up on the installed program list long ago, the saving grace is having new items appear at the top so I can drag them to the desktop, where I run Fences, so I can put them into various ones and hide them till needed.

I mostly use the windows key to get to settings, and even they have specific combos I haven't bothered to learn since it's just as easy to get to.

I've had to add so many things to my startup also, mostly scripts I run, for things like starting NetCam for my security cam, which refuses to include an autostart feature, and the script I run that checks to ensure it's actually running, and if not run it, as the stupid software crashes often..

However I find I'm mostly removing things from autorun. I have bookmarked all 3 of the registry keys for that. hkcu run, hklm run and syswow run. PITA...

Man I seriously hate reinstalling windows.. Oo

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I like to keep my desktop completely clear, so i use the start menu quite a lot (hence hating win10 version)
I completely customized it and it takes just a few seconds to create a new item in it or to re-jig it if needed.
I've got all settings listed there, all drives (i've got 11) so i can get to instantly, all custom tweak progs etc
Just what i'm used to over the years, just like you are with shortcuts.

However I find I'm mostly removing things from autorun.

I hear ya on this one! I'm down to 4 progs in autorun, 1 of which is my aforementioned script

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I learned all the tricks in 2018 after an update failure and magically Xbox stopped working and I couldn't use the M$ store any more. Sometimes, I learned, you need to (and this is the really cool part) reinstall windows and start from the very beginning because once the update fails due to antivirus program, you're done. That's the really cool part of Win10. Don't forget to tell Windows that you're on a metered connection so it doesn't start downloading any time it wants to.

Network and internet > Ethernet > Click adaptor > "This is a metered connection"

Because God forbid you should only dig down on menu level to find what you want, noooooooo, you have to research for an hour before you find out how to change a simple setting.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

A good strategy is to buy one of the following

- An external enclosure drive and an SSD drive which can be connected to USB
- An external normal mechanical drive which also works through USB

Keep all your data on the external drive, update windows as updates come and so on. But once an update fails or something else happens (which usually does with windows) then you can reset the machine entirely with no worry about your data because it's on the external ssd.

Same if you want to switch to other pc or laptop, or upgrade machines, everything is still there

I do that now and most people should do.

An ssd + enclosure is no more than $70 or so, but keeps you away from issues like this

I have all my stuff on the cloud in onedrive backup but also on an external ssd drive so last time my windows drive fail i just reinstalled from scratch and no data loss. It took me about one hour and 20 minutes or so to reinstall, then i just plugged in my external ssd and everything back to normal
edit on 20-7-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
That's one advantage of running a non-English version of Windows 10, we get the updates later.

Last week, a laptop at work stopped while updating Windows 10, so I suppose it has an international version and not a Portuguese version (that laptop was "repaired" last year by some guy I don't know and got a suspicious version of Windows 10 installed, along with a pirated copy of Office). Restarting it solved the problem, as it continued where he had stopped. I cannot access it now, so I can only say that all the other computers with Windows 10 at my work and home have not installed this last update.

edit on 20/7/2019 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diaspar

I like to keep my desktop completely clear, so i use the start menu quite a lot (hence hating win10 version)
I completely customized it and it takes just a few seconds to create a new item in it or to re-jig it if needed.
I've got all settings listed there, all drives (i've got 11) so i can get to instantly, all custom tweak progs etc
Just what i'm used to over the years, just like you are with shortcuts.

However I find I'm mostly removing things from autorun.

I hear ya on this one! I'm down to 4 progs in autorun, 1 of which is my aforementioned script

Stardock fences takes care of the desktop icons, I have them separated into different fences that scroll up to just a title, and auto unroll when I move over them. they're still on the desktop, more or less, but you can create fences to other drives, folders, etc.

11 drives ! I had to get a new one recently, and think I just might for the rest, 6 all up.. but a 4TB drive for my security camera footage (24/7) is a life saver. The rest are still 1tb or less, and old as the hills. lol side points..

I should start using the start menu more, it's a thing I've just neglected since windows 8. I didn't like being forced to use it, and having the desktop as a feature, though I never really did try to. This was when they were heading more into the touch screen area, which they thankfully added as a separate entity for other things.

I've had to disable so many things with a vanilla windows though, even with a reasonably decent PC, some services would just hot 99% cpu and hdd for 10 minutes on a fresh boot. Unacceptable.

Shame I'm stuck with adobe things, I'd consider a 'nix os but the curve is too great, relearning wheels and what not.. damn windows, haha.. even with the squeaking hinges, I'm stuck with it..

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Malisa

I do that, but internal drives. the m2 ssd is the system, so only that gets flushed. symlinking the program files/(x86) folders works also. Just a reinstall, and point them back for everything as it was.

I've had the same firefox profile for years now.. lol.. too lazy to do all the login/password things again.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I'm hoping that is the case.
We've turned it in again, turned off sleep, and it is actively reading and writing again!!!

Fingers crossed!!!

update at the bottom of the OP

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Sat Jul 20 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Finally!!!!
Completely finished.
Way longer than four hours....maybe 6-7 total!

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 01:40 AM
link   

The reason i like external drive is that i have a pc at home that my mom gave me and is like a i7 with 32 gb memory beast lol. So crazy speed against my laptop so i just unplug the external ssd from the laptop once i'm home and plug it into the desktop pc and everything is there. The pc is setup so that it is an exact match of the laptop and i'm so happy you know

I'm a geek i know LMFAO!

I feel like keeping things online or on a separate drive helps a lot to avoid risk of not being able to work an entire day, because of things you can't fit yourself, like as DontThreadOnMe happened to experience. I can just plug the drive on other machine and mostly keep going, even if my older machine died or whatever

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Boot into safe mode, delete all files located in C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution, start Windows normally, try running Update again.
edit on 25-7-2019 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join