It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misterspock Half Ass Movie Review - The Fifth Element

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
It's half ass, because I only watched about 30 minutes of it last night before I changed it to something else.

But, I've seen this film dozens of times and having not seen it for several years, I was just (re)blown away on several levels(I was also drunk, as usual, since it was past 7PM).

I'm sure most have seen it, and while not the highest point in 90's scifi, it's pretty damn close.

I'm an 80's/90's boy, so this film has a lot going for it(Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich(Hot as # in this film)).

It's a great story, with(for the time ahead of it's time) AMAZING CGI. I'm also a big fan of Luc's later action works(Professional, Transporter, etc). But this film, being one of his earlier ones, is one of his absolute best. It's a standout for the genre and for the decade.

The reason I stopped it, was because I wanted to actually sit down and watch it as opposed to just falling asleep after a long night with it on in the background, because it deserves better.

Not much a review, more of a rant, I can't honestly believe anyone here hasn't seen it. Post if you haven't and do go and watch it.

ETA: This, current hollywood, is also how you literally do "a woman saving all of mankind" right. You don't need the heavy anti this or that overtones. It's pathetic what the current crop of "entertainment" has become.
edit on 19-7-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

What I always liked about it was the timing in the movie.

The director was really good with keeping the entire movie paced well without going overboard and the timing of one scene to the next was perfect.

And yes, she really was made perfect.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

"I'd like to take some pictures.......for the archives..."

MMhmmm.....

I always loved that debo was the president of a multi planetary empire.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

What I always liked about it was the timing in the movie.

The director was really good with keeping the entire movie paced well without going overboard and the timing of one scene to the next was perfect.

And yes, she really was made perfect.

It was paced well, which is why I turned it off.

I just clicked on it on my media server thinking, it's a movie I've seen, so I'll just turn it on and fall asleep.

40 minutes later I was sitting up in bed watching it. I realized that if I kept watching it I'd be up til 2am and finish it(I had work tomorrow).

Maybe it's the pacing, maybe it's Bruce(underrated action hero), etc. I just knew I had to turn it off if I wanted to actually goto sleep.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Great movie, although Twelve Monkeys remains my favorite "old" Bruce Willis movie, and also one of my favorite 90`s movies in general.

It still to this day proves that plot, dialoge, and acting reign supreme to CGI.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

"I'd like to take some pictures.......for the archives..."

MMhmmm.....

I always loved that debo was the president of a multi planetary empire.

Because ‘Nobody messes with Debo!’ Except for Craig....

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Great movie, although Twelve Monkeys remains my favorite "old" Bruce Willis movie, and also one of my favorite 90`s movies in general.

It still to this day proves that plot, dialoge, and acting reign supreme to CGI.

I hate this current crop of (Awesome CGI, we'll figure out a good story later) crap.

12 monkeys is good and bruce is amazing in it.

The 90's really were the last decade when you had to have the "story" front and center. Once all this CGI crap came in it was just studio one upmanship.

Granted I don't think CGI makes a movie bad, it's just the lower emphasis on story that drags them down.

12 monkeys for me is mixed, but the last 20 minutes of that film will give you goosebumps, decades after it hit the big screen.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So a funny thing about "80's/90's" action heros like Bruce(and i'll drag harrison into this).

It's not like today, where they just kick ass without a scratch.

Watch a willis or ford action movie. They were able to play off the whole "I'm tough, but get the # beat out of me" toughness of an "average guy".

They took those beatings like it actually effected them, as opposed to some of the more outlandish action heros that could "get run over by a tank" and just brush dirt of their shirt.

Harrison is the better example in my opinion(as Indiana). He never got through a film without literally being on the edge of getting his # beat in(and he could look the part). It's just more..."real".

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   

12 Monkeys had time travel, pandemic, humor, and sci-fi... I could understand that it's a specific flavor and borderline indie, so while one may appreciate it, it may not be their favorite.

That said, I agree. Recent decades have deprived us of cinematic art for the most part. I've still seen some moveies focus on plot though. O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country for Old Men, and the new True Grit come to mind right off the bat. Sure there's been a few more, but I might be truly excited about one movie a year at best now.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I have never watched the whole movie. Seen bits and pieces but that is about it. Just not my cup of tea I guess.
edit on 19-7-2019 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

12 Monkeys had time travel, pandemic, humor, and sci-fi... I could understand that it's a specific flavor and borderline indie, so while one may appreciate it, it may not be their favorite.

That said, I agree. Recent decades have deprived us of cinematic art for the most part. I've still seen some moveies focus on plot though. O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country for Old Men, and the new True Grit come to mind right off the bat. Sure there's been a few more, but I might be truly excited about one movie a year at best now.

Agreed.

I was a huge movie guy back in my youth. These days there is a few movies that I "might" go out of my way to see. Otherwise i'll just watch them in a year or two when I come across them on streaming.

Movie industry is going to be gutted in the next 10 years. From several factors (streaming, rehashing old stories, injecting politics, over reliance on tech(cgi) and just plain ol vapid nonsense). I'm not a huge indie fan, but I think the only chance there is would be taking the big budget money out of it and focusing on story/character rather than this big budget nonsense.

I'm more interested in TV and streaming platform projects at this point, and when those follow hollywoods suite, most will just abandon media all together.

Thank god china is buying up most of the entertainment industry, atleast they will have a few more decades of milking those suckers dry after the west stops pumping money into their garbage piles.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

I have never watched the whole movie. Seen bits and pieces but that is about it. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

Well, considering there isn't much else worth watching(in full) these days.

Might be worth siting down in your older age and giving it a try?

It's better than Star Wars, so maybe as you've aged(and wisdom from that age) you might be able to see it's brilliance?

That was just a friendly dig, that last line, from a fellow Star Trek fan...

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

With you on the streaming. Netflix has made some of the most engaging programs I've see recently (gotta weed through it though).

One exceptional movie that I regularly forget from recent times though is Children of Men.... Holy f###, what a movie.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I remember seeing this movie in the theater when it came out. I loved it until the element of "love"; I let out a verbal "oh God" and had the whole theater laughing. I think they felt the same way I do- don't put love in my sci-fi movies!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It was a decent show, I kind of wondered where it was going at times, but it came together in the end.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   
One of my favorite films all time. It's like the perfect action sci fi. I prefer the old alien suits compared to CGI for everything.

Something about CGI that makes it feel too video gamey. Like those avenger movies. Amazing cgi and superhero action, but never felt an ounce of reality.

Then again, nostalgia might be playing an effect like you said because it was a extremely well done sci fi of the time.

Either way, it was full of details and orginality.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
One of my favorite films all time. It's like the perfect action sci fi. I prefer the old alien suits compared to CGI for everything.

Something about CGI that makes it feel too video gamey. Like those avenger movies. Amazing cgi and superhero action, but never felt an ounce of reality.

Then again, nostalgia might be playing an effect like you said because it was a extremely well done sci fi of the time.

Either way, it was full of details and orginality.

I think the thing about CGI, is it's too "easy"....

No more having to subject yourself(as an actor) to hours worth of makeup, no more having to "capture" the vision. Just sit and click your way to what you "want" the viewer to see.

Same with old school actual explosions in 90's action movies. That # took days(weeks) to set up. You had one take, one take to be on the ball. Now it's just point and click and "phone it in" from someones basement.

The "Real" explosions in die hard, terminator 2 and even the "real" walkers in walking dead are just too much "work" and cost for those that care NOTHING about the final product and just care more about pumping some cash out of a # idea laced with a ton of CGI "awe".

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I always love watching this movie. But I kind of can't stand the so called movies we have today, they are all action but they lack heart, there just isn't a story to go with it.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   

I'll add (and it's hard to admit this), the music was perfect for each scene and the entire campy
("You've won the Gemini Croquette Contest" "Don't touch that button") feel of it is hysterical until Korben Dallas gets to Fhloston Paradise because Ruby Rhod. Really? Ruby Rhod?

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Great film that is underrated.

The story, set pieces, props, limited CGI and actors really made it work quite well.

It holds up well over time as well.

Hope we get the sequel Mr Shadow someday.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join