It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes you an 'American'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

What a good question. And thank you for noting that "Americans" includes anyone from North and South America!

What makes me a citizen of the USA is that I was born here. Simple as that. No effort -- and therefore no achievement -- just how it is.

Does it make me a patriot? Nope. But I am also a product of the Puritan Migration in the early 1600s, I can trace my family back to the Revolution half a dozen ways, and I half-jokingly call Sam Adams "my" Uncle Sam -- because he is! Nine times removed... but my uncle nevertheless. So it's a part of my heritage, but also something that is no achievement on my part, and therefore no glory for me! Just a responsibility to uphold those values... although the Natural Law values I was taught as the foundation of our nation and her Constitution aren't necessarily the conventional "wisdom" of today.

I would say that's what makes me a patriot, but I'm not sure others would agree. I love our nation and our people and our spirit and our heart -- when we're at our best. But I don't see as much of that as I'd like. So does that make me NOT a patriot? Or is that the difference between patriotism and nationalism? Love your country all the time, but call her out when she's misbehaving? I don't know.

So I guess I just said a bunch of nothing. But I have no idea how else to answer.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

So, enough about me, what about you? What makes you a patriotic US citizen? a reply to: FyreByrd

does one need to be patriotic to be an American?

So , the question was ,

I hear answers that you have mistaken the question as , "why do you not want to be a US citizen ?"
My question to you is
Are you ?

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The Constitution makes me an American. My willingness to let my balls dangle for the world to marvel at makes me a proud, patriotic American.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Being born here.

Beyond that, there's no one single thing to define what you must do country-wide to be an American -- the regional cultures are too different. Ergo, there's many types of American culture, ethics & values, but no single one reigns supreme because it's culturally impossible. Ask the North and the South how trying to define that went the last time.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Is not the Constitution and the values of all men being equal not something all those varied areas share?

I have lived in the North and the South. I can ask them both, and see no problems at all.
edit on 19-7-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BuckyWunderlick

Pro-American and Anti-American are very subjective terms. How easy it is to label someone anti-American for having an alternative option. Shame on anyone using these terms as weapons in lieu of civil debate. If anything that’s the height of anti-Americanism in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: xEphon
a reply to: BuckyWunderlick

Pro-American and Anti-American are very subjective terms. How easy it is to label someone anti-American for having an alternative option. Shame on anyone using these terms as weapons in lieu of civil debate. If anything that’s the height of anti-Americanism in my opinion.

Isn’t that ironic.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: xEphon

If you want to turn America into something that is at odds with it's core values and the Constitution you are anti-American.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
easy ….indian blood !
rest is all imported

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuckyWunderlick
The article gives a false account of Trump’s version of what it means to be American, simply because no one in Trump’s orbit suggested such a thing.

But if we look at Trump’s actual words and not the fevered fantasy of some op-Ed writer, Trump mainly distinguishes between pro-American and anti-American, not American and non-American when it comes to the 4 congresswomen.

And where can I find these 'actual' words?

And one can be Pro-American, as you call it, and not like everything about how the country comports itself and treats it's own citizens. It's a false dichotomy.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

The colour or race is utterly and totally unimportant.
Only morons think that keeping a country safe for it's legal inhabitants by not letting illegal inhabtants in is racist.

Is it racist to lock your front door?
Is it racist to throw troublemakers off your premises?
Is it racist to stop those that come into your house and call your furniture and way of life 'crap' and make an open fire in the living room?

There

Your analogy is inaccurate. The current situation, asylum seekers, are doing something well within the LAW of the US. They have rights too - they are not theives or troublemakers or seeking anything other than - safety.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

No one cares about people granted asylum. It's the other 99% people care about. ICE just did raids to deport people who had a court order to be deported because they had exhausted every legal option. Democrats fought against it and called it racist.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
My ancestors fought tooth and nail to live here since the late 1600s.

Great thing is anyone can become an American only thing I don't understand if you hate American or buy into any of the bull#. Why you dying to come here and if you're dying to gtfo of your country why would you want to replicate that # hole here.

If American values are acceptable COME ON DOWN.

Have you ever talked to someone seeking asylum? How is it you know all these people's motivations and backgrounds? Do you know about the horrible conditions many people face in these countries? Or are you just reacting because of fear or ignorance?

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Trump says none of those things.

To be an American you need to be a citizen and you need to defend the Constitution and the values this country was founded upon.

And the Constitution states those values.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: LordBlackstar

If someone wants to institute a dictatorship, is that 'American' regardless of their citizenship status?

Who is trying to institute a dictatorship - other than 'forces' from within the US citizenship?

The only time my mother ever slapped me was when, in junior hid, I said that 'Hitler' could never happen here is the Great USA. Got my attention and she schooled me on just how 'Hitler' rose to power in their great republic. Read your history.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

So, enough about me, what about you? What makes you a patriotic US citizen? a reply to: FyreByrd

does one need to be patriotic to be an American?

So , the question was ,

Read the OP.

I hear answers that you have mistaken the question as , "why do you not want to be a US citizen ?"
My question to you is
Are you ?

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

So then we should follow the laws of the land, including immigration laws, right?

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

It was a hypothetical question.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join