It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran says it has captured British oil tanker

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said its navy has captured the British-flagged oil tanker "Stena Impero" in the Strait of Hormuz, according to Iran's state-run Press TV.

Link

Not much known at this time.

But it looks as though Iran needs a war. They keep pushing it.

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps says it seized the British tanker for "violating international regulations," according to Iran's state-run Press TV.

edit on 7/19/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

The UK needs to get rid of some missiles as well, the defence industry is building up excess stock no matter how much they sell to Saudi πŸ™„

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
β€œOuch”

I have a gut feeling that someone is going to get a shin kick or a punt to the knackers...!

Lags
edit on 19-7-2019 by Lagomorphe because: Crap

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Looks like the UK will have to handle this one.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Stena Impero Statement

2019-07-19 - 19.55

Stena Bulk and Northern Marine Management can confirm that at approximately 1600 BST on 19th July UK registered vessel Stena Impero (built 2018, 49,683 DWT) was approached by unidentified small crafts and a helicopter during transit of the Strait of Hormuz while the vessel was in international waters. We are presently unable to contact the vessel which is now heading north towards Iran.

There are 23 seafarers aboard. There have been no reported injuries and their safety is of primary concern to both owners and managers. The priority of both vessel owner Stena Bulk and ship manager Northern Marine Management is the safety and welfare of the crew.

Northern Marine Management has not been able to establish contact directly with the vessel since it was notified of the incident at approximately 1600 Today, 19th July 2019.
We are in close contact with UK government authorities.

Link

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Looks like the UK will have to handle this one.

Despite the fact that the Brits have some puzzling domestic issues, their military is top notch, and more than capable of handling it. I hope they do take point on this one. I'm sure between US intelligence, and Mossad, they will have all the info they need.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

We seize an Iranian tanker so they seize a British tanker , the game continues.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said its navy has captured the British-flagged oil tanker "Stena Impero" in the Strait of Hormuz, according to Iran's state-run Press TV.

Link

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps says it seized the British tanker for "violating international regulations," according to Iran's state-run Press TV.

I have to ask what the hell is going on in the back ground with all this?, Wars have been started over some fairly petty knob waving ego rubbish but what does Iran gain from provoking the west?.

If indeed that is what is going on as obviously covert action has never been undertaken to start a conflict has it.

If it is the case that a British ship has been seized then the next step in this situation is very very important and is either going to be shouty shouty over a big table with flags or bullets and dead people....

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I can't imagine how the Iranians beleive it is a game they can win though.

It's one thing to screw with US navy vessels. Russia will stand behind them with a smirk on their face, but when they attack multiple nations, and take hostages (as it appears would be the case), world opinion, at least those of major players turns against them, and Russia will step away.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The Iranians are also saying they seized it because it was full of illegally gained Iranian oil, so did they do the right thing based on what they say?

edit on 19-7-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Petra137

Link

I have to ask what the hell is going on in the back ground with all this?, Wars have been started over some fairly petty knob waving ego rubbish but what does Iran gain from provoking the west?.

If indeed that is what is going on as obviously covert action has never been undertaken to start a conflict has it.

If it is the case that a British ship has been seized then the next step in this situation is very very important and is either going to be shouty shouty over a big table with flags or bullets and dead people....

If I had to guess, I think they may have passed the point of no return.

They have been signalling a willingness to "talk", but there are no takers aside from the EU, who's opinion is about as valuable as used toilet paper. No one trusts, or believes a word they say, so there is no point in talks.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This ought to get interesting. Iran will use this as a bargaining chip. Right now we're going through a change of PM so handling of this is going to be tricky.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was the British tanker seized by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards in international waters and divert it in to Iranian waters?
edit on 19America/Chicagov57pm731 by deviant300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Petra137

Link

Apparently quite a lot of Iranians have been looking back with nostalgia to the 60's and 70's wondering where the hell their beautiful country went...

A war could get them back on message.

Who knows?

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

The Iranians are also saying they seized it because it was full of illegally gained Iranian oil, so did they do the right thing based on what they say?

Have you ever heard the phrase "might makes right"?

Morally "Right" is subjective, at best, and this situation goes much deeper that oil tankers at this point, don't you think?

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

I can't imagine how the Iranians beleive it is a game they can win though

It's a response to and action taken against them , Iran don't want war but I doubt they're going to sit back while action is taken against them.
They've seized the vessel on what appears to be a trumped up Maritime law they say has been breached , it's posturing not Iran inviting a war they know they can't win.
edit on 19-7-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: deviant300
This ought to get interesting. Iran will use this as a bargaining chip. Right now we're going through a change of PM so handling of this is going to be tricky.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was the British tanker seized by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards in international waters and divert it in to Iranian waters?

You don't "bargain" with terrorists.

As far as your current leadership, I've always gotten the impression that since Chambelin, Britain's leadership puts their differences aside when confronted with outside threats.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Claim and counter claim , who knows what's true but it's an embarrassment to the British government so the move seems to achieved its aim.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   

It's a response to and action taken against them , Iran don't want war but I doubt they're going to sit back while action is taken against them.
They've seized the vessel on what appears to be a trumped up Maritime law they say has been breached , it's posturing not Iran inviting a war they know they can't win.

Not posturing. They have now taken one of our ships in international waters. Light them up. I'm not for war war war, but they know what they are doing so reap the result. Hopefully no negotiation, just blast the c"nts

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I realize what they want is relief from sanctions, but at some point enough is enough. No nation can be allowed to interfere with shipping in international waters, the S. China sea not withstanding.

It seems you are equating a tanker confiscated under the policies of lawful UN sanctions with this latest event. They are not equivalent.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: deviant300

Correct , the ship was seized on alleged breach of maritime laws.
I think it's more of an embarrassment to the UK than anything else , although the news is in full feeding frenzy.

edit on 19-7-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join