It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the Eco Terrorists that should be trying to save the planet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
From the 1970's through the end of the century "eco-terrorists" were ranked as one of the top threats to the US and the global community and it ranged from people trying to stop logging/clear cutting (saving endangered species - flora or fauna), anti nuclear activists, anti-coal, anti-oil/gas, anti-factory farms/mega farms, NIMBY types and many more all at various levels. Now I don't really remember specific "terroristic" attacks by these groups, they often staged protests or maybe did sit in's, camping out at the top of a tree (redwoods and such) or maybe some low level sabotage of logging equipment or whatever.
Now we've seen the forceasts from the some global warming scientists saying we are in worse shape than ever and we need to act NOW, any delay will be catastrophic. The rhetoric today is about 300-500% more intense and alarming than it previously was. So with all of this and with the ability to network online and to research ALL of the environmentally impactful companies/sites/locations/etc, why has there been no groups taking advantage of finding sites to outright attack to push their agenda. Surely if they believe the world is going to "end" if drastic action isn't taken NOW, then in their minds they would be 100% justified in blowing up railroads, sabotaging gas wells, destroying mining/logging equipment, etc

In the past it might have been difficult ot find where a resource pipeline was buried or running, but today you can find satellite video/photos of it being installed (going back to 1990 even!), drone footage of it being installed, etc. Then there's 100's of other targets that they could focus on and it's all accessible online.

If you say it's not possible due to security, well they have had 50+ years to infiltrate these companies, even someone with 6 months employment in many of these companies could extract TONS of data from these companies. I could have walked off with about 30-100+ TB of proprietary information from emails, financials of all employees & company to all their R&D and information from all other departments while working on a 1 week contract job which had NO background check, not interview and only an online application and 3-4 min phone interview before I was hired at this place (as outside contractor for IT). There was ZERO security for me to copy all data on their machines, as I was already doing this (data migration to new systems) and running a separate copy would have been no problem, as many times a migration failed and was re-attempted 2-6 times before it didn't fail. My bags were never checked and I could have walked out with their old hard drives, tapes, etc had I wanted to as there was no inventory control till the end of the project (2 months later!).

The information I could have harvested would have been ALL company emails for 20,000+ employees, complete with encryption keys for needed accounts. There are also security jobs that are just as easy to get, jobs where people work the front gates at these companies or even perimeter/interior security. Much of this is done through outside contractors that have very low bars for employment.

Why has NO ONE infiltrated these companies and either extracted data to become a whistle blower or even a security guard to maybe allow others access to partake in sabotage/destruction of vital pieces of equipment.

It has become SO much easier in the last 25 years to hit the most vulnerable spots that I can't imagine why no one has done it. I wondered if the great NYC blackout 5-15 years ago that was blamed on a tree branch might not have been due to this, but they didn't report on it b/d they didn't want copy cat's. It would be so easy to topple these high tension power pylons (the 500KV to 1MV lines) with very little cost and from a safe distance and this could cause major problems for multiple states at once.

There's so may soft targets, MANY more than 30-50 years ago, and hitting these could put the fear of god into the government to take action before more people are inconvenienced and they truly revolt.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Probably all became college professors.
They do more damage that way.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
they became ANTIFA and are now trying destroy it. huh... irony.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Those who were funding them, got elected. So the terrorists went away for a while, now, that they are not in office any more, they are funding antifa, the terrorists are back.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Sadly those seem to make sense.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Starbucks?

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I don't think 'those' terrorists would be defined as terrorists by anybody other than the delusional self serving idiots who run things

People are still getting killed in S America due to logging expansion especially of late with the new president. I'm not sure how bad it is in the African and Asian rainforests nowadays.

All they ever really did in the UK was get in the way of the projects (usually road expansion) and camped outside the US nuclear bases singing songs and occasionally creeping onto the bases which is when they would get arrested.

It should get quite interesting soon though with the planned expansions of airports.

edit to add - Those whose life is threatened are obviously going to fight but to most of us in the rich parts of the world its very rarely seen as something worth going to prison, getting fined for never mind dying for.
edit on 19-7-2019 by johnb because: .

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Which is sad, b/c if people started to stand up for this and took drastic actions, destructive actions and even assualts/beatings/etc of those ensuring these eco-crimes-against-humanity continue, it might reverberate across all political spectrum's and we would see others doing the same like cleaning up the treasonous people in congress, lobbies, etc.

There's a few saying about revolution, one by Mao, that references a sweeping fire or something and all it takes is a spark or a match. People need to be the spark or match and others WILL follow.
edit on 7 19 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Surely if they believe the world is going to "end" if drastic action isn't taken NOW, then in their minds they would be 100% justified in blowing up railroads, sabotaging gas wells, destroying mining/logging equipment, etc

Because that would achieve what ?

People who care about the environment are not stupid , they know the only answer is peaceful protest to force government action , which is what they've done and what has yielded results.

Eco warriors don't commit terrorist acts governments ( in this case France) do.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
From the 1970's through the end of the century "eco-terrorists" were ranked as one of the top threats to the US and the global community and it ranged from people trying to stop logging/clear cutting (saving endangered species - flora or fauna), anti nuclear activists, anti-coal, anti-oil/gas, anti-factory farms/mega farms, NIMBY types and many more all at various levels. Now I don't really remember specific "terroristic" attacks by these groups, they often staged protests or maybe did sit in's, camping out at the top of a tree (redwoods and such) or maybe some low level sabotage of logging equipment or whatever.
Now we've seen the forceasts from the some global warming scientists saying we are in worse shape than ever and we need to act NOW, any delay will be catastrophic. The rhetoric today is about 300-500% more intense and alarming than it previously was. So with all of this and with the ability to network online and to research ALL of the environmentally impactful companies/sites/locations/etc, why has there been no groups taking advantage of finding sites to outright attack to push their agenda. Surely if they believe the world is going to "end" if drastic action isn't taken NOW, then in their minds they would be 100% justified in blowing up railroads, sabotaging gas wells, destroying mining/logging equipment, etc

In the past it might have been difficult ot find where a resource pipeline was buried or running, but today you can find satellite video/photos of it being installed (going back to 1990 even!), drone footage of it being installed, etc. Then there's 100's of other targets that they could focus on and it's all accessible online.

If you say it's not possible due to security, well they have had 50+ years to infiltrate these companies, even someone with 6 months employment in many of these companies could extract TONS of data from these companies. I could have walked off with about 30-100+ TB of proprietary information from emails, financials of all employees & company to all their R&D and information from all other departments while working on a 1 week contract job which had NO background check, not interview and only an online application and 3-4 min phone interview before I was hired at this place (as outside contractor for IT). There was ZERO security for me to copy all data on their machines, as I was already doing this (data migration to new systems) and running a separate copy would have been no problem, as many times a migration failed and was re-attempted 2-6 times before it didn't fail. My bags were never checked and I could have walked out with their old hard drives, tapes, etc had I wanted to as there was no inventory control till the end of the project (2 months later!).

The information I could have harvested would have been ALL company emails for 20,000+ employees, complete with encryption keys for needed accounts. There are also security jobs that are just as easy to get, jobs where people work the front gates at these companies or even perimeter/interior security. Much of this is done through outside contractors that have very low bars for employment.

Why has NO ONE infiltrated these companies and either extracted data to become a whistle blower or even a security guard to maybe allow others access to partake in sabotage/destruction of vital pieces of equipment.

It has become SO much easier in the last 25 years to hit the most vulnerable spots that I can't imagine why no one has done it. I wondered if the great NYC blackout 5-15 years ago that was blamed on a tree branch might not have been due to this, but they didn't report on it b/d they didn't want copy cat's. It would be so easy to topple these high tension power pylons (the 500KV to 1MV lines) with very little cost and from a safe distance and this could cause major problems for multiple states at once.

There's so may soft targets, MANY more than 30-50 years ago, and hitting these could put the fear of god into the government to take action before more people are inconvenienced and they truly revolt.

For $10 million I could show ISIS how to completely cripple the North American oil industry. It's far easier than anyone thinks.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnS23

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

For $10 million I could show ISIS how to completely cripple the North American oil industry. It's far easier than anyone thinks.

Knock on door in 3.... 2.....1....

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Its easy enough - a few grand and say 10-20 people could bring any western nation to its knees in a day or so.

new topics

top topics

join