It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What age did you feel old?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I’m sitting here at work thinking to myself.
In 2 hours it will be July 19, and I will be 37 years old.
3 freaking years away from 40.
I don’t feel like I’m 37. I don’t feel old.
Yet I have been using the phrase “when I was young”...

I remember when I turned 23. I had a breakdown what I would equate to a mid life crisis.
I panicked thinking if I died tomorrow, how will people remember me?
I reflected on all the bad or questionable garbage I did when I was younger.
How would people remember me?

That was honestly one of my motivators to become the person I am now.
Once I calmed down, I told myself that going forward I would be the best person I could be, everyday for the rest of my life.
And I’ve lived by that ever since.
Every single day, I strive to be the very best husband, father, friend and stranger, that I can be.

If I see someone in need when I’m driving, my wife will verify this, I will stop and I will help.
If someone comes to me with a problem or an issue, I will do whatever I can to help them make it right.
Within reason of course, I’m not buying people houses or anything.
But I will see to it that you have a roof over your head, and a meal in your gut.

I want to be remembered as the person I try to be every day.
Not the person I once was.

Thinking back to that day 14 years ago... wow 14 years...
I laugh at the kid I was, thinking 23 was old and all those mistakes the years before.
But I think I needed to “feel old” in order to make the changes in my life that I have.

Looking back over the past years since that change, and I’m proud of the person I’ve become and the accomplishments I have made in life in such little time.

So, at 23 years old, that was the first time I felt old.
And it scared me enough to make some pretty drastic changes - but all for the better.

What age were you when you first felt old?
Or have you had that feeling yet?

edit on 18-7-2019 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

In my personal opinion, I believe one is considered an old person once they start saying things such as "Damn kids!!!"........now, with that logic, I've been a grumpy ass old man since I was 18. lol

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

Hahaha I know what you mean.
My oldest daughter is turning 15 in September. When she talks about her day at school, or
The music, the styles or the just about everything kids do these days, makes me say
Those damn kids... lol
edit on 18-7-2019 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I felt like I was getting older...if not old at around 30

I am now 46 and I actually feel kinda young.
Come to find out, your health and happiness feeds into how old you feel. A bit of working out, fun hobbies, and maybe a bit of luck with genetics and you can stave off that oldness feel. Also, do something that you have genuine interest in that also allows relating to the damned kids (mine is video games)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   
6 decades young and still no feelings of "old"
May take a bit longer to get up when the alarm clock goes off , though .
Working out with weights and working in the yard will do it every time.
To keep the mind young , ? PC Games.

edit on 7/18/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I've got scars older than you.

6 decades on this rock.

Get off my lawn!

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Physically? 50ish. I'm 56 now. Started having health issues at 37 but nothing serious until I was 53. Four aneurysm repairs and an almost life-ending clot later... it wears on you after a while.

Mentally? I still feel like I'm 30ish. I started feeling "adult", more mature and more aware of what's really going on in the world. That hasn't changed although after the aneurysms and clot I have more of an "I'm doing what I want (within reason) and screw waiting around" attitude. Truth be told, I'm more comfortable with myself and who I am now than at any other time.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Age is nothing but a number. Ironically, I felt a lot older when I was younger, as I was forced to grow up at a very young age. I'm still relatively young at 32, but I don't feel that much different from a decade ago. In fact, I feel a lot more fresh and rejuvenated. Not older, just more experienced and wiser.

It probably helps that I still look like I'm in my 20's.

Maybe when I'm 60 and finally begin to look like I'm entering my 40's, I might start to feel old when I look into the mirror.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
27, but......for sure 28,.......I worked at Branniff I was 25 years old........ and a co worker turned 40.......he looked so young........I knew then....

.but we are eternal beings and if ya believe the Scripture.....we knew each other before the devils bargain........and
We prolly made a deal and volunteered to be born of mankind......

Which means if ya truly search and find Paul's mystery from before time in the new testament......rom16:25......you will never die.....get new body.....see through....I think we get horses with wings........idk
edit on 18-7-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
Maybe when I'm 60 and finally begin to look like I'm entering my 40's, I might start to feel old when I look into the mirror.

Maybe, but are you doing anything to accomplish that goal?
your skin is an organ and like any organ, you gotta make sure its being taken care of. exfoliation, eat collegian, put collegian based products on your face at night, etc and you'll be looking good for ages.

Also, eat good solid foods for maximum nutrients/health (grass fed beef and the like...and liver...liver might be gross, but that stuff will keep you young)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   
30 and stooped clubbing.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Oh yes. I live a very healthy and active lifestyle. I'm a part time personal trainer, in tip-top shape and my eating habits would scare the crap out of DB.

And outside of lotion, I don't put any products on my skin. I think I may be blessed in the genetics department.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
When I was in my late 20s.... I pulled up to a red light and the car next to me was full of some young girls, probably college students. They apparently were lost. They rolled the window down and said "Excuse me, sir..."

Instead of being a hot guy... I was a "Sir..." It was at that point I felt old.

I'll be 46 this year. All the creaks, cracks, etc in the bones are showing up. Not too long ago it also hit me that I'm old enough to actually be thinking about retirement. In less than 9 years, I could be an AARP member. WTF?

I still feel like a kid at heart, but the age does sneak up on you. It goes by FAST. Seriously, it just seems like yesterday I was 22...

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I might not remember the first thing that made me feel old, but, I remember my first gut-check that made me not feel young and innocent anymore... Is that the same?

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I think feeling old is all in your head. I'm 62 and I still run after my grandkids. It shocks the heck out of them, But it's fun!

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Hey, in two hours I'll be 48....July 19th!

I have always "felt" old.
Not physically, that hit in my mid 30's.

Even as a teenager i was beyond my years maturity wise, i think that was due to having older parents. My wife calls it an old soul..

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Just recently ... I am a metal worker. Two years ago i was sitting on top of the stair tower calling in the crane (bringing in metal panels) in the night.

Now I am feeling it.

I will be be 54 next month and been doing this for over 32 years though.

Toughen up buttercup lol

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Getting old is better than the other option ........

Being dead

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I feel just like I did 30 yrs ago, until I move.
edit on 18-7-2019 by BlackOops because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82 Happy Birthday- in a couple of hours my father would have been 100- I felt like an old man after the war when i was 21. Strange that some part of our self our identity always feels the same no matter what our age.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join